C-Maxes in Italy

Not hybrids, but popular in their ICE versions all over Europe, and here in Italy for a decade or so.  Sorry, only a couple feeble shots here of C-Maxes from our trip to southern Italy awhile back.  White taxis in Rome, and pretty much the same colors we have.  Too busy to focus any attention on them for features & differences.

The Ford Escapes are badged KUGA.  Got the one shot while I was driving with both a C-Max & Kuga out ahead of us.

DSC 12108 r675

P1050613 r1000

DSC 10767 (2) r1000

DSC 9801 (3) r950

DSC 9696 r900

Nick
Edited by C-MaxSea

Cool shots - thanks for sharing. Not sure why the C-MAX isn't available as a Hybrid in the E.U.?  

I think it is available as a diesel instead, although I know there are some Dutch C-Max Energis out there because they post on our forum. I think they sold 1K of them in the Netherlands.

I'd much prefer a clean diesel version over a hybrid C-Max. It would be a slam dunk as an Energi as well, because it would get great highway mileage AND in town with the electric.

I think it is available as a diesel instead, although I know there are some Dutch C-Max Energis out there because they post on our forum. I think they sold 1K of them in the Netherlands.

I'd much prefer a clean diesel version over a hybrid C-Max. It would be a slam dunk as an Energi as well, because it would get great highway mileage AND in town with the electric.

The "problem" with diesels in the US is that they have almost as much of a price premium as hybrid cars do. Combine that with the added taxes on diesel fuel (largely to tax the semis that tear up the roads), you lose most of the fuel savings from running a diesel. The added cost of the diesel engine also appears to be why manufacturers have largely been unwilling to make diesel hybrids.

Hopefully as CAFE standards get stricter, it will make more manufacturers be willing to take a risk on diesel cars, and possibly lead to reducing taxes on diesel fuel.

The "problem" with diesels in the US is that they have almost as much of a price premium as hybrid cars do. Combine that with the added taxes on diesel fuel (largely to tax the semis that tear up the roads), you lose most of the fuel savings from running a diesel. The added cost of the diesel engine also appears to be why manufacturers have largely been unwilling to make diesel hybrids.

Hopefully as CAFE standards get stricter, it will make more manufacturers be willing to take a risk on diesel cars, and possibly lead to reducing taxes on diesel fuel.

At the moment diesel is a full dollar cheaper per gallon than RUG here in Los Angeles.  I would order one in a minute if I had any choice. My next vehicle may be a VW simply because they offer the diesel. Well worth the premium in my opinion.

For our driving & location (and at this point in time), we are more than happy to have the ICE hybrid.  For us there is something special about that combo and the versatility and serenity it offers in the C-Max body/platform (not to mention generally less expensive regular gas).  A plug & some range (with a 'full' boot) would be nice, but it's still not there yet.  We are expecting to cruise at 45 mpg for at least ten years (likely more) in ours, before letting our eyes wonder.

Diesel - NYET.  Came home with first case of bronchitis that I'll blame on the heavily polluted air our last couple days around Sorrento.  Major dead air one day and major diesel pollution, especially marine diesel - choking.  Yes, I know 'clean diesel' yadda, yadda, yadda .................. I'm not a believer yet, and still hate the sound of all diesels.  Just my opinion.

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

Loved all the wacky car names we were seeing - Twingo, Twizy, Kangoo, Berlingo, Bipper Tepee, Punto, Pinto; and the proletariat workhorse of Italy, the Panda.  Was watching a swanky Alfa following a Panda way too close on one occasion, only to discover that the wee little Panda was pulling the Alfa on a tether into a car shop down the street.

Edited by C-MaxSea

At the moment diesel is a full dollar cheaper per gallon than RUG here in Los Angeles.  I would order one in a minute if I had any choice. My next vehicle may be a VW simply because they offer the diesel. Well worth the premium in my opinion.

Just a suggestion: ask 3 or 4 mechanics what they think of VW before you slap down your cash.

Just a suggestion: ask 3 or 4 mechanics what they think of VW before you slap down your cash.

When I bought, I hesitated at first because about 10 years ago VW did not have a good reputation - I have no doubt that some mechanics would remember that. But mine has been solid, and they are the number 2 automaker world wide, which means they are doing something right - folks wouldn't buy them if they didn't work.

My experience has been that they have to be strictly maintained to run correctly. You cannot skimp on required maintenance - they are engineered to require it. There is a DSG maintenance that will run $350 or so every 40K, for example. I factored the maintenance into my purchase decision.

EDIT: I also got the extended 7 year / 100K warranty, but I do that with all new cars so that any major problem is covered while I'm making payments. The wisdom of this practice can be debated, but that is the way I roll.

Edited by stevedebi

They just overtook (Toyota or GM) to be the number one automaker.

One of the reasons we bought new was for the warranty because we had so many headaches with our Audi A6 V8.  I remember my savvy Danish mechanic telling me my timing chain required a $10,000-15,000 fix.  "I'd never buy German" he says with a sad shake of his head.

But having said all that, my friend will not buy anything else but a city Golf tDi.  He lives for that car.

Warranty---yes.