90,000 miles on original tires.......

Recumpence

Hey All!

Long time no post. :)

As the title mentions I have 90,000 miles on my trusty little Max and I am using the original tires the car came with. I mention this because 95% of these miles have been with 51 to 55psi in the tires. I have been told, and told, and HAMMERED at that high PSI is hard on tires. But, I have been running super high PSI in my tires for the nearly 30 yerars of driving and I have always vastly exceeded the average life of my tires.

BTW, I just hit the wear indicators on my tires. I am trying to get 100,000 miles from these tires. But, we shall see. I am not going to keep using them without any tread left. Hopefully I can see 100k from them. That should be around 3.5 months from now.

Matt

Whoa !  Awesome.

Do you mostly do highway driving ?

I play with coasting down hills in neutral and it seems to do better now that the front tires have less tread.  

I would suspect at the wear indicators your car could do some fine coasting.

Has your gas mileage gone up as the tire have worn ?

Great Job!   Glad to hear from you. :)  I got 64Kmi. from my first set with 50PSI, could have gone to 70Kmi., but was going on long trip with rain and snow and wasn't going to chance it.  Also I had a rear alignment problem that caused my tires to feather the edges. I reversed the rotation to make them last longer and cut down the noise. I currently have 40Kmi. on my second set with 6/32nd left.  :) 

Paul                                        

What a timely post.  I just had my originals replaced today at 71k miles.  I too have the inside adge wear problem and a lot of noise from cupping.  Without the wear problem and more rotations I'm sure I could have hit 80k.  The main part of the tread was still a bit above the "indicators".  I have purchased adjustable upper control arms for the rear but won't be able to have them installed before next week.  I really want to get ride of that abnormal wear.

What a timely post.  I just had my originals replaced today at 71k miles.  I too have the inside adge wear problem and a lot of noise from cupping.  Without the wear problem and more rotations I'm sure I could have hit 80k.  The main part of the tread was still a bit above the "indicators".  I have purchased adjustable upper control arms for the rear but won't be able to have them installed before next week.  I really want to get rid of that abnormal wear.

I can imagine the tires are alot quieter now. LOL  First 10kmi move tires from front to back, next 10kmi. crisscross tires so they are on opposite sides. In this way you minimize directional wear which can cause feathering and cupping at edge of tire which causes tire noise. :) 

Paul   

I can imagine the tires are alot quieter now. LOL  First 10kmi move tires from front to back, next 10kmi. crisscross tires so they are on opposite sides. In this way you minimize directional wear which can cause feathering and cupping at edge of tire which causes tire noise. :)

Paul   

Why do you not crisscross them on the first 10kmi ?

Later:  OK I kind of get it.  Really I want to switch the left and right back tires on the back, but that does not offload the wearing of the tires on the front.

Edited by obob

I don't consider the tires on the C-Max any differently than tires on any of my other cars.  10000 miles before rotation is too many miles in my opinion.  The cupping mentioned could have been noticed earlier, or even could have been "evened out" with proper tire rotation.

I will rotate mine using the time proven front to back, and back to front after they are crossed.  In other words, LF becomes LR, LR becomes RF, RF becomes RR, and RR becomes LF.  Have had no problems following this rotation pattern for the last 15 years or so.   I think 6000 miles or at the very most 7500 miles would be OK, but again, 10000 miles is too much.

Paul   

Are they ever!  Sure is nice having a really quiet car again.  We can hear the very faint purr of regen as you come to a stop.  My wife mentioned how she hadn't heard that sound for months - maybe years!

For rotation, I'll follow my tire dealers recommendation of 5k miles.  I too don't think 10k is often enough.  You should have seen the old tire - not quite down to the wear bars on one side but cupped on opposite side to the point of having a little spot of belt showing.  Bad, bad, bad - went to far.  They were rotated a number of times but certainly not enough!

With new adjustable control arms on the rear and proper rotations I'm going after Matt's 90k record!

Pretty incredible to get that many miles out of a set of tires. At the same time once the tread is pretty worn down I'd be very worried about rain and snow. Thankfully I am not having to deal with either of these at the moment.

Tires for me are such a critical thing that I am probably ultra conservative when it comes to replacing them. Slicks work great on a racetrack but not so well on the road. Anyway quite impressive how long they lasted. Apparently the C-max isn't too hard on tires.

My $0.02...

I never swap sides, only front-rear when swapping the snows, and near Thanksgiving and Easter, regardless the mileage. Been doing this for decades, having learned the hard way to keep sides straight when autocrossing (weekly tire swaps) as the alternative gave me a bad shimmy. Then again, I don't slow down any more than necessary when corning, so I consider 40K miles a very good result. Were I more gentle, rotation direction might not matter, and perhaps cupping would. It's clear that your mileage may vary.

HAve fun,

Frank