Dead 12V Battery In My C-MAX

RedLdr1

DTorres & Andrewwx

I am in Southern California, too. My CMAX was purchased at Buerge Ford in West LA. Where did you get yours?

Please call Ford's corporate customer service line at 800-392-3673 to let Ford manufacturing know about the problem. The dealers are slow to call these problems in.

My problem is written up on the other thread. Car is still at the dealer. They seem new to handling hybrids - did not know that the dashboard battery gauge is for the lithium ion battery and not the 12V....Houston, we have a problem.

Mine was from Vista Ford in Woodland Hills. Manufacture date of early September.

please let us know what your Ford service mechanics do with your car.

as i explain on the other thread, my car was given a battery test and charge, then today a draw test to see if current is being drawn when the care is off. Didn't find a problem. Next they are going to try to test the converter that converts high voltage from the Lithium ion battery to 12 volt dc current to charge the 12 volt battery.

please keep us all posted and please call Ford corporate customer care to let them know have had this problem.

For now I haven't taken it to the dealer yet. I'm going to wait to see if it dies again. In the mean time every time I turn the car off I'm checking before walking away to ensure everything is turned off (dash displays, radio/nav, dome lights, etc). That way I'm confident it wasn't something like the dash display that stayed on and killed the battery.

For now I haven't taken it to the dealer yet. I'm going to wait to see if it dies again. In the mean time every time I turn the car off I'm checking before walking away to ensure everything is turned off (dash displays, radio/nav, dome lights, etc). That way I'm confident it wasn't something like the dash display that stayed on and killed the battery.

If the battery dies again I think the best thing to do is have  roadside assistance tow it to the dealer so they can see it with the electrical system down.

Clearly there have been a bunch of owners who have experienced the same problem we have experienced, and an unknown number more who do not post on this forum. Personally, I think it is important to log the problems with the Ford dealerships and with Ford's corporate office. The degree to which this is a common problem could well be a clue to identifying the cause and finding a solution. The problem has happened to so many people that I've got expect it will happen again to you and to all of us until the cause is clearly identified.

Add me to the list of a dead battery.  One morning totally dead with no reason why.  Ford Roadside did jump it, once they figured out how to do it.  No problems since, but am worried it will happen again.  I have noticed that a couple of times while driving, the info. screen goes blank for a second or two, then it's OK. 

Add me to the list of a dead battery.  One morning totally dead with no reason why.  Ford Roadside did jump it, once they figured out how to do it.  No problems since, but am worried it will happen again.  I have noticed that a couple of times while driving, the info. screen goes blank for a second or two, then it's OK. 

Jeffrey

Please call Ford customer service and let them know you had this problem. I have listed the number on this and the other dead battery thread. Calling them will help us all. The number of cases will not only get attention but also help to diagnose the cause of the problem

I think there are cases involving SEL models on both threads.

• 2 weeks later...

Well today my CMax was dead again, for the 2nd. time.  We did have it towed to the dealer this time.  We waited a week after the 1st time, dealer only found that the hatch wasn't shutting tight enough, nothing else.  We are thinking that this car is a lemon.  Dealer my actually work with us to get us out of the vehicle and into another car(only if we don't loose any$$$). Our CMax only has 1200 miles on it.  I will report this matter to Ford again, they better figure out what is going on with this car-fast. 

Jeffrey

Read the "battery dead" thread. Although the dead battery mystery afflicting many of us has not yet been conclusively diagnosed, it does seem that 1) 12 volt batteries in many hybrids are small and prone to trouble, 2) that when these 12 volt batteries are drained they lose capacity and thus become higher risk for being drained again, and 3) Ford often replaces the battery.

Replacing the battery is something to ask about.

But let me add again that no one knows yet whether there are additional contributing problems like bad relays, shorts, power drains, etc, that play a role in our dead battery experiences, nor do we know yet whether there is a manufacturing problem with the batteries. However, there is pretty abundant evidence that the smaller size of 12 volt batteries in hybrids (vs those in gas engine cars) makes the batteries prone to trouble.

One reason to get Ford to replace your battery is to identify whether there is another problem in the electrical system or problem with the battery at manufacture, or just a problem with new cars having their batteries depleted while at the dealers lot.

None of this is an argument against getting your dealer to swap cars for you, if that is what you want.

Just got my C-Max back from the dealer for the 2nd time, they found nothing wrong.  They thoroughly tested the battery, said that it was OK.  The only thing they think might be causing the dead battery issue is that we aren't driving the car enough.  So they think the battery isn't getting charged enough, by whatever means it gets charged.  So my question to anyone with dead battery problems is- How many miles are you driving it in a week?  The last week, before dead battery, my wife probably only drove it about 40 miles.  Wife is about done with the car.  I will be driving it now, to see if it happens again.  I put about 200 miles a week.

Thank You for your Input,

Jeff

Just got my C-Max back from the dealer for the 2nd time, they found nothing wrong.  They thoroughly tested the battery, said that it was OK.  The only thing they think might be causing the dead battery issue is that we aren't driving the car enough.  So they think the battery isn't getting charged enough, by whatever means it gets charged.  So my question to anyone with dead battery problems is- How many miles are you driving it in a week?  The last week, before dead battery, my wife probably only drove it about 40 miles.  Wife is about done with the car.  I will be driving it now, to see if it happens again.  I put about 200 miles a week.

Thank You for your Input,

Jeff

Jeffrey 

The dealer gave you a bad explanation and, if I may say so, you should take the matter to Ford's Customer Care phone line and demand better, or at least go back to the dealer and demand better.

The 12 volt recharges from a converter that draws off the high voltage Lithium Ion battery. If the car was only used for 1 and 2 mile drives and if current was drawn for accessories when parked, then yes, it could draw down the batteries over a period of many weeks - if everything was as it should be. But drives for 15 - 20 minutes or longer should keep the 12 volt battery reasonably charged. Letting the car sit in a driveway for 4 weeks or longer should not cause battery discharge. If discharge happens in a week because ("because") the car was driven only 40 miles (avg about 5-6 miles per day), then something is wrong and you should insist that something is wrong.

Ford does not sell the car with a warning that driving less than 10 or 40 or 100 miles a week will lead to dead batteries.

Several posters have had batteries go dead after driving  more like 200+ miles per week.

Make sure you call Ford Customer Care and make sure the dealer calls the service tech hotline for advice.

Edited by salman

I had been posting in the other thread, but I'll update my status here. Ford has agreed to a buy back, and in fact has been very forthright and good about it, but they threw a bit of a curve at me today, and I must say I think its an interesting one. 

They asked if I'd be willing to have mine shipped back to Dearborn so that Ford can directly get involved, find the root cause and fix it once and for all. Earlier, they told me they believed that my incident was isolated, but apparently, after the data went through the buyback manager, they say that the FSE should have presented some info much earlier, and that they are now saying other customers issues may have a relation. 

I like the car, and would like it to work, so I'm actually considering this over taking an exchange at the moment. Ford has told me that they will still replace it in the event it can't be fixed even in Dearborn, and I really would hate to get another one, only to have it suffer the same problem. Ford has offered compensation for this, but honestly its not that much and thats not a huge issue for me, I think I would like them to fix it, and I guess, if they figure out the root cause and it fixes others that would be nice too. 

The down side is its likely to be a few more months, but the are putting me in a rental, and as long as I can get to / from work, then I'm fine. 

Bottom line is this is the first indication they may be giving of a relation between issues, and it may be a real step to solving the problem. 

I had been posting in the other thread, but I'll update my status here. Ford has agreed to a buy back, and in fact has been very forthright and good about it, but they threw a bit of a curve at me today, and I must say I think its an interesting one. <br />

<br />

They asked if I'd be willing to have mine shipped back to Dearborn so that Ford can directly get involved, find the root cause and fix it once and for all. Earlier, they told me they believed that my incident was isolated, but apparently, after the data went through the buyback manager, they say that the FSE should have presented some info much earlier, and that they are now saying other customers issues may have a relation. <br />

<br />

I like the car, and would like it to work, so I'm actually considering this over taking an exchange at the moment. Ford has told me that they will still replace it in the event it can't be fixed even in Dearborn, and I really would hate to get another one, only to have it suffer the same problem. Ford has offered compensation for this, but honestly its not that much and thats not a huge issue for me, I think I would like them to fix it, and I guess, if they figure out the root cause and it fixes others that would be nice too. <br />

<br />

The down side is its likely to be a few more months, but the are putting me in a rental, and as long as I can get to / from work, then I'm fine. <br />

<br />

Bottom line is this is the first indication they may be giving of a relation between issues, and it may be a real step to solving the problem.</p>

I would probably do it but insist in exchange a Fusion Hybrid or another C-Max for the loaner.

Edited by darrelld

Mbedit

That's a really big development for you and maybe all of us. Here are some thoughts on Ford's proposal:

Whether Ford buys back your car or you let them try to fix it, I think they will try to identify the problem plaguing your car either way. 

On the premise that you still want a C-Max, I think you should ask for a new car in exchange - plus a token sum of money for your trouble and a commitment (best written) from Ford that they will report back to you on what they find wrong with your old C-Max and, naturally, fix any such problem in the new C-Max. The new C-Max would go to you with a new warranty. You'd be covered.

If you've had any documented costs that ford is not already covering (like rental costs?), then Ford should pay that, too.

Mbedit

Please tell us more about this part of the story if you can get more information:

apparently, after the data went through the buyback manager, they say that the FSE should have presented some info much earlier, and that they are now saying other customers issues may have a relation. 

Sure, during the conversation, the Ford Rep mentioned that some steps were missed, and I asked if he ment that there were some things they could have tried to do to repair it. I was told no, the FSE should have reported the length of time that the repair was taking much sooner than had already been done, and the implication was that it would have been escalated.

I had several conversation today, so I can't remember if it was then or the follow up call that the rep mentioned that they wanted to find the root cause to fix the issue because other like issues had been reported. Ford has been very good about providing me a loaner, so I've had nothing out of pocket, and I won't have anything out of pocket while they fix it.

I agree they will likely send the unit up to dearborn to get to the bottom of it anyhow.

I actually have family in Detroit, so a more interesting thing then extra cash for me would be a plane ticket to Detroit to pick up the car and visit relatives when its fixed and then I could make sure it works before I drive it home, but basically, I would hope that getting the crack team there to go through it in detail would ensure no problems in the future. Getting a new one could put me back in square one. That would be disappointing. Ive got the weekend to mull it over. Either way they seem to be trying to do right, so I don't know I loose anything.

• 1 month later...

RedLdr

Thanks for your post on the battery survey thread.

Back in November you reported that your instrument panel was changed: "The dealer turned loose their electronics guru and he found that the Instrument Panel was defective and causing the battery to slowly discharge over night. My short day trips the previous Saturday had been spaced close enough together it wasn't an issue. A new Instrument Panel was ordered, arrived Friday morning, and was installed that afternoon."

Was the instrument panel the only part that was changed?

Since the change have you had any episodes of 12 volt failure?

So far your case seems to be the only one in which a power drain has been identified and successfully traced to its source (some recent cases might be end up being successful, too, but have not had enough time for testing). And yours is the only case in which the instrument panel has been reported as the cause.

Any additional information you can provide would be great. Would you give us the name of your dealership? We might need to ask Ford to look up your case record and we'd need to give them enough information to find your case.

You know - it's threads like this that really solidify my feelings that I'm making the right decision to get a Cmax over the Golf TDI. I can guarantee you that VW America would never have been so stand-up in support of their product based on what I read in the TDI forums.

They just don't understand that good customer service after the purchase is everything.