Decrease in mpg after 15B04 recall

zharry

Has anyone notice a decrease in MPG after the 15B04 recall that reprogrammed the battery electronics? I had been getting 46 mpg but with two fill ups down to 39 mpg. Ideas? zharry

Just a long shot but did you get new tires around the same time?  New tires, even the same kind, have higher rolling resistance and a greater circumference which will lower car calculated mpg.  

I do not have a noticeable drop.  

I'm surprised no one, even on other forums don't question the gasoline quality. From different times of the year summer/winter blend to percentage of ethanol. That's not counting are you actuality getting a full gallon 100% from the pump instead of maybe 97%?   

Edited by Robert Fugate

I had the update and haven't noticed any differences.Your fluctuations in MPG are probably related to something else.

My CMax has a 44.2 average so far for the year - 13,200 miles of mostly work commuting (mixed congested freeway and city driving). My velocity is average traffic speed.

Jan 39.1

Feb 39.1

Mar 42.7

Apr 48.6

May 48.2

Jun 49.0

Jul 46.9

Temperature and type of trips are the big differentiator. In winter heater causes engine to run more and I lose mileage.  In heat of summer air conditioner impacts but not nearly as much as the heater in winter.  Pure freeway driving with minimal stop and go reduces mileage significantly, so long trips at consistently higher speeds have an impact.  

I use the Automatic OBD reader for my gas mileage readout - every trip I take is tracked.

Do you have an article on this about needing to relearn your driving style & behavior? The PCM makes sure your engine is running at it's most efficient for emissions, and electric motor operation.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powertrain_control_module

It made sense to me when I heard it because my car "forgot" my EV+ locations. I saw EV+ today for the first time since I had the update done a week ago.

It's possible it's just now more accurate (most folks have said the actual gauge "off" when compared to the real mileage found by measuring gas at fillups).  That's assuming you're talking about the gauges themselves.

I filled up today and my mpgs seemed slightly better than normal (maybe 1 mpg), compared to what I've previously gotten at fill up. The one difference today, my computed mpg was only about .5 mpg lower than what the dash read which, if future fill ups stay consistent, would be more accurate than normal. The key here is that it would need to stay this way over the next few fill ups to be meaningful.

One difference I am noticing is that I kick into EV mode with less of a battery charge. I'm not sure if this is a programming difference or just from having the "user driving style" reset.

Yup, me too.  After the recall update, I went from a steady 42.5 avg to 41.7.  They must have changed the algorithm to reflect more accurate usage.  Average daytime temps in Phoenix have been steady at 105 to 109, so weather conditions didn't affect it.  After the update the dash did not reset the avg. mpg, to zero, nor did it seem to fluctuate until after driving the car after the update.

As a side note, the ECO cruise control also seemed to change, seemingly becoming a bit more aggressive on acceleration.  I drive very fixed routes to and from work and have noticed this, as its' invariably set to 45 mph cruise speed.

yes both my husband and i notice a difference in mileage. we've had our car since December 2012 and do mostly city driving. initially we got 44ish in the city and less on the highway. now it's the complete opposite--we struggle to get 38 city and get 42-44 highway. it's frustrating; nothing else has changed, just the recalls. i feel the algorithm has changed to favor highway driving since most people seem to have complained about that early on. would love our old city mileage back.

Me too, dropped from 42.6 AVG to 41.7 after update....same daily route, no variables in daily driving, They must have tweaked the algorithm that  works out mpg to make it more realistic.

I don't know. Honda got dinged big time for their "fix" to the Civic hybrid. The batteries were wearing out too fast, so they tweaked the algorythms such that it got less MPG, but longer battery life. Unlike your experience, it was a very big hit as I recall.

I'm not saying Ford did this, but it is a possibility.

Nope:  Definately no drop from 46 to 39.  We have not 'seen' any drop in mpg's;  still getting 45-50+ on all our trips.

A more 'realistic' gauge reading, a possibility, we will all see as we compare the 'Trip 1 or 2' (Tank) dash reading with our fill-ups.

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

• 4 weeks later...

How can I determine if the update has been applied? I've been searching (maybe not hard enough?) but have not found a way for me to determine whether it has been performed.

Any help would be fantastic.

On a separate note, my car finally learned what "home" is... saw EV+ for the first time yesterday.   :yahoo:

~Revanoff~

How can I determine if the update has been applied? I've been searching (maybe not hard enough?) but have not found a way for me to determine whether it has been performed.

Any help would be fantastic.

On a separate note, my car finally learned what "home" is... saw EV+ for the first time yesterday.   :yahoo:

~Revanoff~

As far as I can tell, if you go to the Ford Owner website, under Service & Maintenance>Recalls, after entering your VIN, it will show you the recalls/service programs that are open for your vehicle. If the 15B04 Service Action isn't listed, then it is not "open"; which should mean it has been performed on your car.

Edited by raadsel

Since only purchasing the car 2 weeks ago, it had 3/4 of tank, finally did a fill up of 12.69 gallons, when the gauge read 18 miles to empty. They had not reset the trip previously, so I;m not sure the exactly mileage yet.  But the AVG has been increasing slightly. the Avg. on the gauge was around 37mpg when i first got it. Everything was reset when they did all the updates at the dealership.

It's avg. right now 39.4mpg and has been slowly increasing with mixed hiway/city driving. probably 80% hiway/20% city. Next tank will know much better, I know when I filled it up, it came back and said 525 miles to empty on the trip. So, if I figured 525 to empty / 12.69 gallons it took to fill it up, that comes out to approx. 41.4mpg. 

Mine has learned my home and work with the EV+ about 1/8-1/4 mile from the destination. 

As far as I can tell, if you go to the Ford Owner website, under Service & Maintenance>Recalls, after entering your VIN, it will show you the recalls/service programs that are open for your vehicle. If the 15B04 Service Action isn't listed, then it is not "open"; which should mean it has been performed on your car.

I just went to the Ford Owner Website and entered my VIN.  One action that I know I have not had done comes up with a red circle with an ! inside of it.

Another action that I don't know if I have had done comes up with an orange circle with an ! inside of it.  Anyone know what the orange circle means?

I just went to the Ford Owner Website and entered my VIN.  One action that I know I have not had done comes up with a red circle with an ! inside of it.

Another action that I don't know if I have had done comes up with an orange circle with an ! inside of it.  Anyone know what the orange circle means?

I've had a similar question but, as near as I can figure out, the red ones are actual recalls, ones where not having it fixed is considered a safety issue and the yellow are customer service programs, where it doesn't directly impact the safe operation. For example, the battery issue is an inconvenience, since the car may not start but does not impact the safety of driving the car.