Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Mileage and Build date for eCVT that have failed

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Automate

Automate

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 28 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUnited States
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:FFH

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:32 PM

Ford has told owners that Cmaxs built between Aug 8, 2012 and Jun 17, 2014 and Fusions Hybrids built around that time with eCVT transmissions have failed due to a manufacturing problem that was fixed on later models.  http://fordcmaxhybri...air/#entry60970

If you had a CMAX eCVT failure that required replacement, please post your car's build date.and mileage at failure

Since the Fusion has the same transmission I have started the same topic here

http://fordfusionhyb...at-have-failed/

Post there if you have a Fusion

Model              Year    Build Date   1st Problem   Replaced    Notes                                             Member

Fusion Hybrid  2014                                                 12K                                                              scn101

Fusion Hybrid  2014                                                 14K                                                              Chris Campbell

Fusion Hybrid  2013                                                55.7K                                                            ROB281

Fusion Hybrid  2013                                                60.5K                                                            mje715

Fusion Hybrid  2013                                                 71K                                                              gadgetguy

Fusion Hybrid  2013                                                 34K                                                              gkinla

Fusion Hybrid  2013                                                  22K                                                             MTGilby

Fusion Hybrid  2013    11/2012                                 40K                                                             cincidaddi

Fusion Hybrid  2013                                                  50K                                                             GrayStrider

Fusion Hybrid  2013                                                  ??K      loud whine                                      halfelite

C-Max Hybrid  2013      9/2012             97K             98K       82% Hwy, noises                            ptjones

C-Max Hybrid  2013   10/8/2012                            63.5K      bearing noises, mostly highway      HannahWCU

C-Max Hybrid  2013    10/18/12          39.6K                         bearing noises, not replaced yet     HotPotato

C-Max Energi  2013   11/06/2012                            54K                                                               found on CARFAX

C-Max Energi  2013   11/07/2012                           70.5K      bearing noises,mostly highway      mitrals

C-Max Energi  2013     3/2013                                 44K       mostly highway                               Sparky

C-Max Hybrid  2013                             43K              50K                                                              PalmettoMax

C-Max Hybrid  2013                                                 82K        85% interstate                                bigalpha

C-Max Hybrid  2013     8/20/2012                            32K        grinding noises                               Bill-N

C-Max Energi  2013       3/2013                               95.1K                                                            slbenz

C-Max Energi  2013     5/24/2013                            27K                                                               GSMacLean

C-Max Energi  2013                                                 159K                                                             Middleofnowhere

C-Max Energi  2013                             23.2K            ??K                                                              ITFlyer

Edited by Automate, 30 June 2016 - 07:24 PM.

• Jus-A-CMax, C-MaxSea, obob and 1 other like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 675 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • LocationVancouver, BC
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 SEL

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:59 PM

Wouldn't it be easier to just contact Ford and ask them?

#3 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,079 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:04 PM

Mine was built 9/2012. ;)

Paul

#4 OFFLINE   Automate

Automate

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 28 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:06 PM

@Adrian_L If they would tell, that would be great but since they are not being recalled, I doubt they would.

Edited by Automate, 27 July 2015 - 01:17 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,079 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:08 PM

Wouldn't it be easier to just contact Ford and ask them?

I don't think that is going to happen, they didn't tell the Dealer why the trans failed when asked. ;)

Paul

#6 OFFLINE   HotPotato

HotPotato

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 247 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 01 August 2015 - 01:03 PM

My door plate says 10/12 and my window sticker says 10/18/12.

Do I have a failing trans? I don't know. I have two distinct dying-bearing noises that are quiet enough that service people won't yet take action to diagnose and fix, but loud enough that sales people hear a mechanical issue and won't take the car in trade. "Waiting for something to break" is not a great feeling.  

• obob likes this

#7 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,685 posts
  • LocationTN
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 01 August 2015 - 05:03 PM

Do I have a failing trans? I don't know. I have two distinct dying-bearing noises that are quiet enough that service people won't yet take action to diagnose and fix, but loud enough that sales people hear a mechanical issue and won't take the car in trade. "Waiting for something to break" is not a great feeling.

... And your odometer says?:) At what mileage did you first hear the noise? My build date is 11/19/12

"Waiting for something to break" - yep, I know the feeling.

At 22 k miles on my 2009 VW TDI, we knew VW had a problem with the HPFP (about $8k at that time to repair), Mine failed at 44k (covered under power train warranty). VW has recently extended the warranty to 120 k miles on the pump (and collateral damage) provided fuel sample shows no gasoline. If Ford has an inherent problem with the early eCVT, we can hope that Ford steps up and extends the warranty on the eCVT well past 100 k miles - say 150k miles and 10 years.

#8 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,079 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 01 August 2015 - 05:32 PM

As important as total mileage is type of driving, mostly City I won't worry about it, if HWY make sure you are covered by Warranty. ;)

Paul

• obob likes this

#9 OFFLINE   Sparky

Sparky

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 45 posts
  • LocationAuburn, CA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Energi 300a - 1999 Suburban 6.5

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:03 AM

My C-Max, built March 2013, was diagnosed with a failing transmission June 1st, 2015.

The trans was replaced under warranty with 44,000 miles.  Mostly highway driving.

• ptjones and obob like this

#10 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 708 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:52 PM

Sparky, what were the symptoms?  Any abnormal sounds?  Could you tell it was failing yourself or was some test done by the dealer?  My build date is mid April 2014 and I'm at 72k miles with a lot of (slower) highway driving so I'm concerned.

#11 OFFLINE   PalmettoMax

PalmettoMax

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNorth Myrtle Beach
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SE

Posted 07 August 2015 - 05:11 PM

This is the same noise I heard at 43k miles.  Now it is in the shop for a transmission replacement at 50k.

There is a TSB on this TSB-14-0024  NHTSA #10055028.  I was told by the dealer that the recommended solution was replacement of the transmission. 

#12 OFFLINE   Automate

Automate

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 28 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:22 AM

Thanks to everyone for their posts.  I have updated the 1st post with the information in this topic along with some eCVT failures I found in other topics.

If you have more info to fill in the table please post it.

#13 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,079 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:49 AM

Mine was 82% HWY :)

Paul

#14 OFFLINE   HotPotato

HotPotato

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 247 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 August 2015 - 12:58 AM

... And your odometer says? :) At what mileage did you first hear the noise? My build date is 11/19/12

"Waiting for something to break" - yep, I know the feeling.

At 22 k miles on my 2009 VW TDI, we knew VW had a problem with the HPFP (about $8k at that time to repair), Mine failed at 44k (covered under power train warranty). VW has recently extended the warranty to 120 k miles on the pump (and collateral damage) provided fuel sample shows no gasoline. If Ford has an inherent problem with the early eCVT, we can hope that Ford steps up and extends the warranty on the eCVT well past 100 k miles - say 150k miles and 10 years.

Sorry--about 39,600 miles. But if people are going twice that long before a failure--around the time a totally healthy GM automatic would fail, in my experience--then I guess I should settle down.

#15 OFFLINE   PalmettoMax

PalmettoMax

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNorth Myrtle Beach
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SE

Posted 12 August 2015 - 07:49 PM

Today I decided to stop by my Ford dealer to see how things are going.  The car has been in the shop since last Thursday. The transmission has been delivered and THE guy who does C-Max transmissions will start on it tomorrow.  I felt much better when the SM told me THE guy has done one other C-Max transmission.  Experience is a plus ;)

FYI the SM showed me the cost of the parts (AKA the transmission) and the total was nearly $8k.  Supposedly that is not the retail price, but the price Ford will pay for the parts.  Labor is supposed to be rated at 10.5 hours for the job.  That's in a perfect world where every nut, bolt, and gasket is on hand.  I am sooo glad this is covered under warranty.

• ptjones likes this

#16 OFFLINE   SPL Tech

SPL Tech

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 286 posts
  • Locationhome
  • Current Vehicle:c-max 2013 SL

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:46 PM

Today I decided to stop by my Ford dealer to see how things are going.  The car has been in the shop since last Thursday. The transmission has been delivered and THE guy who does C-Max transmissions will start on it tomorrow.  I felt much better when the SM told me THE guy has done one other C-Max transmission.  Experience is a plus ;)

FYI the SM showed me the cost of the parts (AKA the transmission) and the total was nearly $8k.  Supposedly that is not the retail price, but the price Ford will pay for the parts.  Labor is supposed to be rated at 10.5 hours for the job.  That's in a perfect world where every nut, bolt, and gasket is on hand.  I am sooo glad this is covered under warranty.

So what did THE guy say the problem was?

#17 OFFLINE   Automate

Automate

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 28 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:58 AM

I have updated the first post with some C-Max Energi that have failed.

#18 OFFLINE   mitrals

mitrals

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 15 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • LocationChicago IL
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX Energi

Posted 08 September 2015 - 12:49 PM

My build date was 11-7-2012. Bearing noise detected. Mostly highway miles. Got trans replaced at 70.5K miles under warranty.

• ptjones likes this

#19 OFFLINE   HannahWCU

HannahWCU

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 362 posts
  • LocationHickory, NC
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford Focus Electric

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:55 PM

Add Mine to the list.  Build date 10-8-2012. Bearing noise, mostly highway miles.  63.5K miles, being replaced now under warranty

NOTE:  Was first diagnosed as a bad Half-shaft (at a cost of $600), I guess that didn't eliminate the noise, so now the transmission is being replaced.  Supposedly, the dealer is trying to get Ford to help on the Half-shaft as they said it needed to replaced anyway.  I don't understand how a Half-shaft can go bad in under 65,000 miles.

#20 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,079 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 10 September 2015 - 05:02 PM

Add Mine to the list.  Build date 10-8-2012. Bearing noise, mostly highway miles.  63.5K miles, being replaced now under warranty

NOTE:  Was first diagnosed as a bad Half-shaft (at a cost of $600), I guess that didn't eliminate the noise, so now the transmission is being replaced.  Supposedly, the dealer is trying to get Ford to help on the Half-shaft as they said it needed to replaced anyway.  I don't understand how a Half-shaft can go bad in under 65,000 miles.

That's weird, you didn't have a extended warranty? :)

Paul

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·