Mileage and Build date for eCVT that have failed

Automate

I wonder if you are the only one that failed with non HWY mileage?  You didn't have that many miles on it. ;)

Paul

I noticed that as well. I do have *some* highway miles, most notably a 1,700 mile trip in August of 2014, but the vast majority of my miles are commuting to and from work each day through city streets.

I noticed that as well. I do have *some* highway miles, most notably a 1,700 mile trip in August of 2014, but the vast majority of my miles are commuting to and from work each day through city streets.

I think it is safe to say that your Trans didn't fail from over heating problem, causing the bearing to fail. ;)  Unless you are doing a lot of HWY miles I can't see the Trans getting hot.  :headscratch:  :shrug:

Paul

Just to remind members again extend your warranty for as long as you're going to have the car, they are expensive to fix. :)

Paul

I thought the transmissions were covered for 8 years or 100k miles.  As Plus-3 Golfer said:

"The Ford Warranty covers the hybrid components for 8 yrs / 100 k miles (longer in CA). See below for Hybrid components covered.  Major emission systems are covered for 8 /80 k miles (see below).  The rest of the Power Train is covered for 5/60.  So, if one is buying an extended warranty because of the new hybrid technology, it's already covered for 100 k miles."

I thought the transmissions were covered for 8 years or 100k miles.  As Plus-3 Golfer said:

"The Ford Warranty covers the hybrid components for 8 yrs / 100 k miles (longer in CA). See below for Hybrid components covered.  Major emission systems are covered for 8 /80 k miles (see below).  The rest of the Power Train is covered for 5/60.  So, if one is buying an extended warranty because of the new hybrid technology, it's already covered for 100 k miles."

You are right, but I was referring to everything else to 100K and then everything after 100K.  I extended my warranty at 97K, because I had an idea the Trans was going to fail and I was going on 4K trip. Murphy's Law would have it fail at 100.1K and I didn't want to be not covered .  Of course it failed at 98K then. LOL ;)  :drop:   Now I'm covered to 132K. :)

Paul 

Edited by ptjones

• 3 weeks later...

Hello to all. I am new to this forum and also new to the Ford Cmax. Ours is a 2013 SE with 32000 miles. This transmission problem worries me quite a bit. So much so that I called Ford customer service number and asked about the CSP 14B07. The person told me that they looked up my vehicle and it shows nothing at all related to that CSP. The vehicle was built in late 2012. I forget the exact date. My wife and I traded in a Gen 2 prius on the Cmax. The prius was super reliable and was going strong when we traded at 155000 miles. Are all the 2013s affected by this problem? The only problem I am having is a vibration when accelerating from a stop. Its not horrible but is noticeable. We plan to put less than 10000 miles a year on this car, so at warranty end we will likely have less than 70000 miles on this car. I would hate for it to fail when my warranty is up, as we plan to give this car to our daughter in several years for her first car. Also about the warranty. I spoke to a rep on the ford line about an extended warranty. They swore up and down that this transmission was covered for only 60000 miles or 5 years. I told them what my owners manual states about the hybrid CVT being covered for 8 years 100k. First they said just the battery was covered. Then when I read the manual. They said something about that being just part of the transmission not all of it. Thats not word for word because I was getting frustrated and wanting to get off the phone. But I was sure that the hybrid CVT is the whole transmission. Please inform me on this. Sorry if my typing skills are bad. Thanks in advance for any info. I hope to contribute any knowledge I may have one day on this forum.

Hello to all. I am new to this forum and also new to the Ford Cmax. Ours is a 2013 SE with 32000 miles. This transmission problem worries me quite a bit. So much so that I called Ford customer service number and asked about the CSP 14B07. The person told me that they looked up my vehicle and it shows nothing at all related to that CSP. The vehicle was built in late 2012. I forget the exact date. My wife and I traded in a Gen 2 prius on the Cmax. The prius was super reliable and was going strong when we traded at 155000 miles. Are all the 2013s affected by this problem? The only problem I am having is a vibration when accelerating from a stop. Its not horrible but is noticeable. We plan to put less than 10000 miles a year on this car, so at warranty end we will likely have less than 70000 miles on this car. I would hate for it to fail when my warranty is up, as we plan to give this car to our daughter in several years for her first car. Also about the warranty. I spoke to a rep on the ford line about an extended warranty. They swore up and down that this transmission was covered for only 60000 miles or 5 years. I told them what my owners manual states about the hybrid CVT being covered for 8 years 100k. First they said just the battery was covered. Then when I read the manual. They said something about that being just part of the transmission not all of it. Thats not word for word because I was getting frustrated and wanting to get off the phone. But I was sure that the hybrid CVT is the whole transmission. Please inform me on this. Sorry if my typing skills are bad. Thanks in advance for any info. I hope to contribute any knowledge I may have one day on this forum.

Below is the excerpt from the 2013 warranty booklet which says: "This booklet explains in detail (emphasis addedthe warranty coverages that apply to your 2013-model vehicle."  The hybrid continuously variable transmission is a covered component under the 8 / 100 k miles extended warranty.  The transmission is only available as a complete unit with the planetary gear set and the electric motors - MG1 and MG2 internal to the transmission case and per the Service Manual is replaced as a complete unit. There are no internal  component exclusions listed.  However, that's not to say that at a future date should an internal component fail, Ford could choose to just replace the failed part or replace the transmission with a rebuilt unit under warranty. 

It's pretty obvious the CSR was reading the coverage for the powertrain which is 5 / 60 k miles for a transmission.  The hybrid transmission doesn't have many of the parts listed under the 5 /60 for a conventional transmission (my guess is the CSR doesn't no the difference).  I'm not an attorney, but I believe one would win a complaint against Ford should Ford choose not to honor the "words" in this booklet.

(4) Your vehicle’s unique hybrid / electric components are covered during the Hybrid / Electric Unique Component Coverage, which lasts for eight years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

• The following hybrid parts are covered during this extended coverage period: high-voltage battery, hybrid continuously variable transmission, Inverter System Controller (ISC), DC/DC converter, high-voltage battery connector, battery pack fan assembly, thermistor probe, Hybrid Battery Pack Sensor Module (HBPSM), Battery Energy Control Module (BECM), and the PHEV onboard charger.

I figured I was covered. I believe its right to assume the person was confusing regular transmission with hybrid cvt. Im glad im not having any cvt problems right now. Well unless the vibration I have is it starting. My big worry is that the cvt will fail when I reach the time limit of the 8 years. Im almost positive we will not reach 100k miles first.

I figured I was covered. I believe its right to assume the person was confusing regular transmission with hybrid cvt. Im glad im not having any cvt problems right now. Well unless the vibration I have is it starting. My big worry is that the cvt will fail when I reach the time limit of the 8 years. Im almost positive we will not reach 100k miles first.

You can extend your warranty like I did to 132K miles and I think 10yrs.   It cost me and extra $2500, but a New Trans is $6K.   Mine failed at 98k miles so it was covered anyway.   ;)  It would appear that Trans failures are caused by high percentage of FWY miles. I wouldn't worry about it if it is mainly  a City mileage car. :)  

Paul

You can extend your warranty like I did to 132K miles and I think 10yrs.   It cost me and extra $2500, but a New Trans is $6K.   Mine failed at 98k miles so it was covered anyway.   ;)  It would appear that Trans failures are caused by high percentage of FWY miles. I wouldn't worry about it if it is mainly  a City mileage car. :)  

Paul

Paul,

I just checked and the maximum is 8 years and 150K.

EDIT: That is, the maximum Ford Genuine ESP warranty is 8 / 150K. Costs about 3K including first day rental, with zero deductible. ESP PremiumCare, covers basically everything except wear/tear items like tires and belts.

Edited by stevedebi

Paul,

I just checked and the maximum is 8 years and 150K.

EDIT: That is, the maximum Ford Genuine ESP warranty is 8 / 150K. Costs about 3K including first day rental, with zero deductible. ESP PremiumCare, covers basically everything except wear/tear items like tires and belts.

Thanks for the up date. I have $100 deductible and it doesn't cover FOB so i'm out $260, OUCH! :sad:

Paul

Hello to all. I am new to this forum and also new to the Ford Cmax. Ours is a 2013 SE with 32000 miles. This transmission problem worries me quite a bit. ...

Welcome to the forum, and to C-Max ownership. I'm another 2012-vintage build, now at 43K miles, and planning many more. I'm also concerned about the tranny.

Someone recently posted a link to the Advanced Vehicle Test Activity, which includes hybrids. They buy and test cars, with periodic measurement of battery capability and a full list of service actions. Don't look at the Malibu, it's a disaster.

Comparing the 2010 Prius with the 2013 C-Max, the biggest difference is the Toyota's have a 6K oil change interval, so they're in the shop more often. Of the four C-Max, one lost a tranny at 90K miles. The cars are still in test, to 160K if I read it right, so we'll have to see if any more trannies fail. (The Prii tests are completed.)

Conversely, you may want to compare the HV battery test data... one of them's a wimp!

Have fun,

Frank

I looked a some of the tests. Great stuff. Very interesting. It pains me to see 1 out of the 4 Cmax lost a tranny so soon. Im planning on keeping this car quite a while and handing it over to my daughter in several years when she recieves her drivers license. We put less than 10k miles a year on, so she would have a vehicle with less than 100k in good condition as i plan to maintain it properly. I remember my first vehicle was a 1982 toyota pickup with a road sign in the floorboard to cover the big rust hole. So hers will be quite an improvement over that. Anyways, i woukd think a vehicle like the Cmax should go 200k or more before a tranny went south. That may be asking a bit much for some but i personally dont think so. My 2006 prius at over 150k showed no problems whatsoever. I trusted that car to drive anywhere. I hope im just over worrying. Also, is it safe to say the cost of a cvt replacement will drop as years go by?

Welcome to the forum, and to C-Max ownership. I'm another 2012-vintage build, now at 43K miles, and planning many more. I'm also concerned about the tranny.

Someone recently posted a link to the Advanced Vehicle Test Activity, which includes hybrids. They buy and test cars, with periodic measurement of battery capability and a full list of service actions. Don't look at the Malibu, it's a disaster.

It is worth noting that you can't compare the 2013 Malibu with the new Malibu hybrid that is being released. The 2013 was more of a mild hybrid, with a very small electric motor connected via a drive belt. The new Malibu hybrid will be using the same technology that is in the new Volt, just without the large battery and ability to plug in. I'll be interested to see how it holds up and what fuel economy they get in real life.

I looked a some of the tests. Great stuff. Very interesting. It pains me to see 1 out of the 4 Cmax lost a tranny so soon. Im planning on keeping this car quite a while and handing it over to my daughter in several years when she recieves her drivers license. We put less than 10k miles a year on, so she would have a vehicle with less than 100k in good condition as i plan to maintain it properly. I remember my first vehicle was a 1982 toyota pickup with a road sign in the floorboard to cover the big rust hole. So hers will be quite an improvement over that. Anyways, i woukd think a vehicle like the Cmax should go 200k or more before a tranny went south. That may be asking a bit much for some but i personally dont think so. My 2006 prius at over 150k showed no problems whatsoever. I trusted that car to drive anywhere. I hope im just over worrying. Also, is it safe to say the cost of a cvt replacement will drop as years go by?

The big expense is Ford claiming the entire powertrain must be replaced, you can't replace the CVT alone. Perhaps someone here is more knowledgeable, but it sounds like the electric motors are integrated into the powertrain, meaning it is very labor intensive to fix only the parts that failed -- not to mention, a part in the CVT failing likely has a good chance of damaging other parts of the powertrain. 

The other point is that it seems there is a flaw in only some of the original CVTs, such as Ford possibly getting a bad batch of bearings that weren't caught before they were installed. So, if your car has one of the defective parts in the CVT, the car likely is a "ticking timebomb" until that part fails (such as the 1 car of the 4 that went to Advanced Vehicle Testing). But, that testing would also seem to show that if you didn't get the bad part, your C-Max should run reliably over 100,000 miles (one C-Max currently has 131,000 miles with no major issues) -- though we'll see how the remainder of the testing goes (they are scheduled to be driving to 195,000 miles). It is worth noting that all the cars used in the Advanced Vehicle Testing seem to run a similar City/Highway mix, basically all being used by the government as messenger cars in the Southwest US.

The 25% transmission failure rate for the four C-max's the Feds are testing is somewhat alarming - worth watching as they add miles and update the reports.  On the other hand, other repair tracking sites (e.g. ConsumerReports) are not reporting that high a problem rate.

Automate's collecting build dates of transmissions might turn up useful info.

Do we know if it is bearings that are the component that fails?  (can't be worse that the terrible problems Chrysler had in early 1990s).   If so, do they seize or do they just get noisy?  or is there vibration under load?   No one has had "catastrophic" tranny failure,  where the car quit going while being driven?

Is the main warning sign bearing noise?

Edited by djc

The 25% transmission failure rate for the four C-max's the Feds are testing is somewhat alarming - worth watching as they add miles and update the reports.  On the other hand, other repair tracking sites (e.g. ConsumerReports) are not reporting that high a problem rate.

Automate's collecting build dates of transmissions might turn up useful info.

Do we know if it is bearings that are the component that fails?  (can't be worse that the terrible problems Chrysler had in early 1990s).   If so, do they seize or do they just get noisy?  or is there vibration under load?   No one has had "catastrophic" tranny failure,  where the car quit going while being driven?

Is the main warning sign bearing noise?

The problem is the sample size on the Fed's testing is 4 -- so any problem they have will tend to be exaggerated. Kind of like some people who complain about how terrible anything is because they bought one and it didn't work right; regardless if in the real world the failure rate was 0.0001%, for them it was 100%.

It is worth noting that you can't compare the 2013 Malibu with the new Malibu hybrid that is being released. ...

From a drivetrain standpoint, perhaps not, but I was referring to the Malibu's service actions. We are discussing reliability... it's a disaster.

Frank

The 25% transmission failure rate for the four C-max's the Feds are testing is somewhat alarming...

That's not alarming...

This was alarming! Note the date... one year after initial deliveries, Ford had recognized a problem.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/3094-ssm-44252-hybrids-in-taxi-service-hf35-transmission-bearing-noise/

If it hasn't gone by the end of the 8/100 warranty, I'll think about my options instead of blindly running to failure.

Have fun,

Frank

From a drivetrain standpoint, perhaps not, but I was referring to the Malibu's service actions. We are discussing reliability... it's a disaster.

Frank

But that was exactly my point. The hybrid system on the older Malibu is a completely different design, being a mild hybrid on the previous Malibu. I'm sure part of the reason GM ditched that hybrid is precisely because it was a disaster. Because the new Malibu is using the Volt's technology, the reliability is likely to be much closer to the older Volt, since the powertrain is based on that -- though still not the same because of improvements to the tech in the latest Volt/Malibu models, as well as the Volt being a plug-in hybrid.

But that was exactly my point. The hybrid system on the older Malibu is a completely different design,...

I was reacting to the non-hybrid related, major systems that seemed to fail on all the Malibu's. Water pump, AC compressor, balance shafts, oil pan are not the technology-intensive areas of a hybrid. I can forgive Ford for not figuring out a tranny bearing a lot easier than this stuff.

And you're right that the Volt looks a lot more reliable, but I will be a skeptic until we see if that reliability makes it to the Malibu.

Have fun,

Frank