Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Mileage and Build date for eCVT that have failed

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,232 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:44 PM

Trans can't be worked on at this time by Dealers and I'm not sure that FORD is rebuilding them yet. ;)  Maybe in the future which would bring the price down. :)

Paul

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   adlo101

adlo101

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 9 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX SE

Posted 12 February 2016 - 07:57 PM

By the way, the date of manufacture on mine is 08/12.

#43 OFFLINE   adlo101

adlo101

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 9 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Vehicle:2013 CMAX SE

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:29 PM

Well i looked on ford etis and it said my build date was 9/1/2012 but my door jam sticker says 8/12......?????

Edited by adlo101, 12 February 2016 - 11:30 PM.

#44 OFFLINE   Bill-N

Bill-N

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 644 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationConnecticut
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 13 February 2016 - 10:32 AM

Well i looked on ford etis and it said my build date was 9/1/2012 but my door jam sticker says 8/12......?????

Dates on etis are in day/month/year format.  Perhaps that answers the discrepancy.

#45 OFFLINE   djc

djc

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 176 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:C-max SE

Posted 14 February 2016 - 05:03 PM

The 25% transmission failure rate for the four C-max's the Feds are testing is somewhat alarming - worth watching as they add miles and update the reports.  On the other hand, other repair tracking sites (e.g. ConsumerReports) are not reporting that high a problem rate.

Automate's collecting build dates of transmissions might turn up useful info.

Do we know if it is bearings that are the component that fails?  (can't be worse that the terrible problems Chrysler had in early 1990s).   If so, do they seize or do they just get noisy?  or is there vibration under load?   No one has had "catastrophic" tranny failure,  where the car quit going while being driven?

Is the main warning sign bearing noise?

Edited by djc, 14 February 2016 - 05:05 PM.

#46 OFFLINE   raadsel

raadsel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 551 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 14 February 2016 - 07:51 PM

The 25% transmission failure rate for the four C-max's the Feds are testing is somewhat alarming - worth watching as they add miles and update the reports.  On the other hand, other repair tracking sites (e.g. ConsumerReports) are not reporting that high a problem rate.

Automate's collecting build dates of transmissions might turn up useful info.

Do we know if it is bearings that are the component that fails?  (can't be worse that the terrible problems Chrysler had in early 1990s).   If so, do they seize or do they just get noisy?  or is there vibration under load?   No one has had "catastrophic" tranny failure,  where the car quit going while being driven?

Is the main warning sign bearing noise?

The problem is the sample size on the Fed's testing is 4 -- so any problem they have will tend to be exaggerated. Kind of like some people who complain about how terrible anything is because they bought one and it didn't work right; regardless if in the real world the failure rate was 0.0001%, for them it was 100%.

• ptjones and C-MaxSea like this

#47 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,350 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:38 AM

It is worth noting that you can't compare the 2013 Malibu with the new Malibu hybrid that is being released. ...

From a drivetrain standpoint, perhaps not, but I was referring to the Malibu's service actions. We are discussing reliability... it's a disaster.

Frank

#48 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,350 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:50 AM

The 25% transmission failure rate for the four C-max's the Feds are testing is somewhat alarming...

That's not alarming...

This was alarming! Note the date... one year after initial deliveries, Ford had recognized a problem.

http://fordcmaxhybri...-bearing-noise/

If it hasn't gone by the end of the 8/100 warranty, I'll think about my options instead of blindly running to failure.

Have fun,

Frank

#49 OFFLINE   raadsel

raadsel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 551 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 February 2016 - 05:26 PM

From a drivetrain standpoint, perhaps not, but I was referring to the Malibu's service actions. We are discussing reliability... it's a disaster.

Frank

But that was exactly my point. The hybrid system on the older Malibu is a completely different design, being a mild hybrid on the previous Malibu. I'm sure part of the reason GM ditched that hybrid is precisely because it was a disaster. Because the new Malibu is using the Volt's technology, the reliability is likely to be much closer to the older Volt, since the powertrain is based on that -- though still not the same because of improvements to the tech in the latest Volt/Malibu models, as well as the Volt being a plug-in hybrid.

#50 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,350 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 16 February 2016 - 01:18 PM

But that was exactly my point. The hybrid system on the older Malibu is a completely different design,...

I was reacting to the non-hybrid related, major systems that seemed to fail on all the Malibu's. Water pump, AC compressor, balance shafts, oil pan are not the technology-intensive areas of a hybrid. I can forgive Ford for not figuring out a tranny bearing a lot easier than this stuff.

And you're right that the Volt looks a lot more reliable, but I will be a skeptic until we see if that reliability makes it to the Malibu.

Have fun,

Frank

#51 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 773 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:01 PM

Has anyone heard if there is a repair option that's cheaper than replacing the whole thing?  I'm still concerned because The Enterprise is pushing 90k miles and I don't know if it has the "fix" (mid April 2013 build date).

#52 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 574 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:51 PM

Has anyone heard if there is a repair option that's cheaper than replacing the whole thing?  I'm still concerned because The Enterprise is pushing 90k miles and I don't know if it has the "fix" (mid April 2013 build date).

http://fordcmaxhybri...-bearing-noise/

This SSM was posted in October 2013 - I would say it is almost certain you do not the fix.  

I consider it a mistake to buy a first model year car, like I did.  I wanted to buy American but am sorry I bought this car in the first year.  In hindsight I could have gotten an manual transmission focus pretty cheap and used that for a while.  I think the people buying a C-Max now are getting a great car.  If they came out with one in a few years when my transmission goes bad that had a manual trans that would be a very tempting.  

Edited by obob, 18 February 2016 - 03:26 PM.

#53 ONLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,815 posts
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:52 PM

You can pick up salvaged, low mile eCVTs IIRC last time I looked for around $1600+ rather than buying new unit.  I doubt a shop would be able to repair one any cheaper.  I also would think that eventually Ford or others will offer rebuilt units but the cost will likely be a lot more than $1600.  But one would likely get a longer warranty with a rebuilt one than the typical 30 day on salvaged units.

• ptjones, C-MaxSea and obob like this

#54 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 842 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:47 PM

What state are you in? The CARB states warranty the eCVT for 10 years / 150K miles.

#55 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 773 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:12 PM

As far as I know, Virginia is not one of them.

#56 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 842 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:03 PM

As far as I know, Virginia is not one of them.

No, doesn't look like it:

http://mde.maryland....ges/states.aspx

#57 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 574 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 18 February 2016 - 03:38 PM

"SSM 44252 - Hybrids In Taxi Service - HF35 Transmission Bearing Noise
Some 2013 C-MAX Hybrid and 2013-2014 Fusion Hybrid vehicles operating in taxi service may exhibit a metal-on-metal scraping-type sound from the transmission. This noise will be present in all gear ranges including neutral when the vehicle is moving, but will not be present when the vehicle is stationary or in park. The current transmission assembly (7000) service parts incorporate design improvements to enhance durability under the unique operating conditions of taxi service."

Thoughts on the bolded text ?? 

It seems like Ford just didn't allow for something and there is not a lot we can do about it.  Just a weak link.

So the key to not having this problem with the trans is keeping the car stationary or in park - yeah no problem.

#58 ONLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,815 posts
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 18 February 2016 - 05:10 PM

I doubt we will ever know what the design improvements are unless some action requires Ford to disclose the issue.  It also appears that this SSM doesn't apply to the Energi.

Since the statement says the noise will be present ... when the vehicle is moving ... but not ... when stationary or in park, implies that ICE can run and charge the HVB  with no noise when stationary.  This "no noise" condition suggests that the planetary gear set is likely okay as: 1) the ring gear (the outer gear that spins when the car is moving) would be stationary, 2) ICE would be spinning the planet carrier, 3) the planet carrier would be spinning the planet gears, 4) the planet gears would be spinning the sun gear, and 5) the sun gear would spin MG1 - the generator charging the HVB.  So the issue is likely between the ring gear and the differential.

It was theorized in another thread, IIRC, by DrDiesel that the issue may be related to TFT as the Energi has an externally mounted auxiliary electric transmission fluid pump in addition to an internal pump. The Hybrid only has the internal pump. The internal pump only spins when ICE is running.  I'm not sure I buy this is related to TFT as I do monitor TFT and never have seen high TFT while stopped or the several times where I hit traffic jams where it would take 15-20 minutes to go 3 or 4 miles.  TFT seems to be more dependent on use of the traction motor during regenerative braking.  I can certainly see why the Energi has the aux, pump. as one can drive 20+ miles without running ICE.   

The only other difference that I know of between the Energi and Hybrid transmission is the final drive ratio.  Could the issue be something with the final drive hardware where there was a defective component in the Hybrid and not the Energi.

So, then why did Ford seem to imply this SSM only apply to taxi service and not all Hybrids?  Taxis are generally driven harder likely with more stop-and-go driving (trying to increase waiting time) and will likely be driven many times the miles in year than a typical driver.  Is it simply mileage related and/or a batch of bad components?

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer, 19 February 2016 - 08:46 AM.

• ptjones and obob like this

#59 OFFLINE   Automate

Automate

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 28 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:FFH

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:38 AM

I've updated this 1st post with more C-max and Fusion CVT failures

• obob likes this