Mileage and Build date for eCVT that have failed

Automate

"Add me to the list... 2013 Hybrid SE, just shy of 75K.  Last 40K are mine, mostly city. "   That sounds like you didn't have the car from New. :headscratch: 

Paul

Most (all?) new car warranties carry over to subsequent buyers.   You don't need to transfer anything.

Car has been in for a week, waiting on the eCVT.... optimistically hoping to get back next Monday.  Got a new Focus to tool around in, so that helps.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Picked up our CMAX Energi yesterday from our local Ford dealer service department after the repair.  They had it for about 8 days.  The eCVT failed with 63K, and mostly electric miles.  The build date was 12/22/2012.  They reported that the differential and transfer shaft bearings were pitted, and performed TSB 18-2328 to replace HF35 transmission assembly.  Several parts were included in the invoice including brake cleaner, sealant, and anti-freeze, but ATF wasn't listed.  I hope they didn't put the old stuff back in.    

Picked up our CMAX Energi yesterday from our local Ford dealer service department after the repair.  They had it for about 8 days.  The eCVT failed with 63K, and mostly electric miles.  The build date was 12/22/2012.  They reported that the differential and transfer shaft bearings were pitted, and performed TSB 18-2328 to replace HF35 transmission assembly.  Several parts were included in the invoice including brake cleaner, sealant, and anti-freeze, but ATF wasn't listed.  I hope they didn't put the old stuff back in.    

I believe the replacement HF35 transmissions already include the automatic transmission fluid (sealed unit).

The invoice of my HF35 transmission replacement back in Nov 2017 (per TSB17-0039) included 5 quarts of what I believe to be engine oil. It was listed after Brake Cleaner and Anti-Freeze as "5 XT*10 QLVC OIL- AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION".

I just hope Ford fixed the known bearing issue in the replacement transmissions so it does not re-occur. So far, my new transmission has 15K miles on it and is as quiet as the day I bought the vehicle in 2013. 

Edited by Zathrus

I believe the replacement HF35 transmissions already include the automatic transmission fluid (sealed unit).

The invoice of my HF35 transmission replacement back in Nov 2017 (per TSB17-0039) included 5 quarts of what I believe to be engine oil. It was listed after Brake Cleaner and Anti-Freeze as "5 XT*10 QLVC OIL- AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION".

I just hope Ford fixed the known bearing issue in the replacement transmissions so it does not re-occur. So far, my new transmission has 15K miles on it and is as quiet as the day I bought the vehicle in 2013. 

I believe they with 117k miles on my replacement trans. :)

Paul

The invoice of my HF35 transmission replacement back in Nov 2017 (per TSB17-0039) included 5 quarts of what I believe to be engine oil. It was listed after Brake Cleaner and Anti-Freeze as "5 XT*10 QLVC OIL- AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION".

They use Mercon LV in the transmission.  Probably QLVC is the transmission fluid, which isn't listed on my invoice.  The transmission isn't actually sealed.  If you pull either axle shaft, the fluid will leak out.   

Edited by 67gtcougar

They use Mercon LV in the transmission.  Probably QLVC is the transmission fluid, which isn't listed on my invoice.  The transmission isn't actually sealed.  If you pull either axle shaft, the fluid will leak out.   

I have pulled and replaced my right hand axle and the fluid doesn't leak out. :)

Paul

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

My 2013 cmax see is in the shop now. Noticed increasing bearing failure noises over the past month. 63,000 mi. Ford dealer says it needs a new transmission, says they've never done one of these. Sounds like it will be covered by Ford. But I don't think it's all figured out yet. They told us diagnostics would be $150. Bought it 2nd hand with 19k miles.

My 2013 cmax see is in the shop now. Noticed increasing bearing failure noises over the past month. 63,000 mi. Ford dealer says it needs a new transmission, says they've never done one of these. Sounds like it will be covered by Ford. But I don't think it's all figured out yet. They told us diagnostics would be $150. Bought it 2nd hand with 19k miles.

I would have it done at a FORD Dealer that has done several and by the mechanic that has done it.  It is a big job.

Paul

I would have it done at a FORD Dealer that has done several and by the mechanic that has done it.  It is a big job.

Paul

It's at the only local Ford dealership, which seems fairly large.  I don't feel I have any control over who is doing the work, which is a part of why I try to avoid dealerships as much as possible generally, doing all my own maintenance and buying cars private sale.  Today they told me they are getting in touch with Ford directly and will let me know once they have clearance to do the work, but expect Ford to cover everything. 

I do have good faith most any ASE certified tech will be a good mechanic based on what I've seen though.

• 1 month later...

I cannot thank you all enough for posting your experiences with your C-Max transmission problems.

I recently sold my 2013 (9/2012 build) C-Max with 91k to a private party. When I sold it, I did hear some noise that sounded like a bearing but I thought it was probably a wheel bearing. I informed the buyer and we negotiated a fair price, factoring in the cost to replace a wheel bearing. I offered to have the car repaired first but she really wanted the car so she said she would take care of it after the sale. Yesterday, she sent me a text saying that her mechanic checked the noise and it is the transmission and will be a $5000 charge for repair! At first I couldn't believe it and told her to get a second opinion from a Ford dealer and started looking at C-Max transmissions on Ebay thinking that even if the tranny was shot, it wouldn't cost 5k to replace. After more searching, I came to this forum and read through this thread. I would have never guessed that the transmission would be covered under the 8yr/100,000 Hybrid Electrical warranty! I was sure that would be covered under the 5yr/60,000 powertrain warranty which has obviously lapsed. Anyway, she took the car to a Ford dealer today and they are going ahead with the warranty replacement of the transmission. What a huge relief.

Again, a huge shout-out to you guys. You rock.

-siggy

42 minutes ago, siggy said:

I cannot thank you all enough for posting your experiences with your C-Max transmission problems.

I recently sold my 2013 (9/2012 build) C-Max with 91k to a private party. When I sold it, I did hear some noise that sounded like a bearing but I thought it was probably a wheel bearing. I informed the buyer and we negotiated a fair price, factoring in the cost to replace a wheel bearing. I offered to have the car repaired first but she really wanted the car so she said she would take care of it after the sale. Yesterday, she sent me a text saying that her mechanic checked the noise and it is the transmission and will be a $5000 charge for repair! At first I couldn't believe it and told her to get a second opinion from a Ford dealer and started looking at C-Max transmissions on Ebay thinking that even if the tranny was shot, it wouldn't cost 5k to replace. After more searching, I came to this forum and read through this thread. I would have never guessed that the transmission would be covered under the 8yr/100,000 Hybrid Electrical warranty! I was sure that would be covered under the 5yr/60,000 powertrain warranty which has obviously lapsed. Anyway, she took the car to a Ford dealer today and they are going ahead with the warranty replacement of the transmission. What a huge relief.

Again, a huge shout-out to you guys. You rock.

-siggy

The transmission has always been listed as a covered component under the 8Yr / 100k mile Unique Hybrid Component Warranty. See Bold / Underline text below. Most times it pays to read the Owner’s Manual and Warranty documents.??

“The electrical drivetrain system of your vehicle is covered by the Hybrid & Electric Vehicle Unique Component coverage for eight years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. The components in the electrical drivetrain system of your vehicle will vary, depending on whether your vehicle is a hybrid, plug-in hybrid, or all-electric vehicle, but you can rest assured knowing that your vehicle’s electrical drivetrain system is covered by this comprehensive warranty.
Depending on your vehicle, electrical drivetrain system components covered by this warranty may include, and are not limited to: high-voltage battery, high-voltage battery connector, high-voltage battery isolation switch (manual disconnect switch), battery pack fan assembly, battery pack sensor module (HBPSM), battery energy control module (BECM), on-board charger, on-board charger fan assembly, inverter system controller (ISC), DC/DC converter, hybrid continuously variable transmission, transmission range sensor, and the electronic drive module assembly (the electric motor and gearbox).

8 minutes ago, Plus 3 Golfer said:

The transmission has always been listed as a covered component under the 8Yr / 100k mile Unique Hybrid Component Warranty. See Bold / Underline text below. Most times it pays to read the Owner’s Manual and Warranty documents.??

“The electrical drivetrain system of your vehicle is covered by the Hybrid & Electric Vehicle Unique Component coverage for eight years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. The components in the electrical drivetrain system of your vehicle will vary, depending on whether your vehicle is a hybrid, plug-in hybrid, or all-electric vehicle, but you can rest assured knowing that your vehicle’s electrical drivetrain system is covered by this comprehensive warranty.
Depending on your vehicle, electrical drivetrain system components covered by this warranty may include, and are not limited to: high-voltage battery, high-voltage battery connector, high-voltage battery isolation switch (manual disconnect switch), battery pack fan assembly, battery pack sensor module (HBPSM), battery energy control module (BECM), on-board charger, on-board charger fan assembly, inverter system controller (ISC), DC/DC converter, hybrid continuously variable transmission, transmission range sensor, and the electronic drive module assembly (the electric motor and gearbox).

You had already posted that excerpt earlier in this thread. That's why I was thanking you and the others who posted the same.

Have a good weekend.

Went looking for the original warranty for 2013 C-max and found this below.

My question , why does the transmission fall under the Hybrid/Electric 8yr/100,000 mile warranty rather than the Powertrain 5yr/60,000 mile?

New Vehicle Limited Warranty. We want your Ford C-MAX ownership experience to be the best it can be. Under this warranty, your new vehicle comes with 3-year/36,000-mile bumper-to-bumper coverage, 5-year/60,000-mile Powertrain Warranty coverage, 5-year/60,000-mile safety restraint coverage, and 5-year/unlimited-mile corrosion (perforation) coverage – all with no deductible. C-MAX unique electric components are covered during the Hybrid/Electric Unique Component Coverage, which lasts for 8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first.