Energi mpg vs Hybrid mpg

RMS13

I'm not sure there is such a thing as a non big ticket item on cars these days. :drop:  Just saying.

Paul

What a monotony - owning / driving an "ordinary" vehicle. ;)   There is something appealing about taking chances on new technology.

"Take these chances

Place them in a box until a quieter time

Lights down, you up and die"  - Dave Matthews (Ants Marching)

• 1 month later...

Now it is a bit clearer why there have not been hybrid diesels in US - it is hard to meet US emissions standards without cheating.  Hence many makers (e.g. Subaru) sell diesels overseas, but not in U.S.

Another factor may be that diesel engines like to run,  but not to start-stop-start, and will be dirty and inefficient on that typical hybrid cycle compared to gasoline engines.  Just guessing, based on older diesels  - counter-evidence would be diesel cars that kill the engine at each stoplight.  (Other than VW/audi diesles that don't attempt to meet US emissions stardards. )

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone always assumes you make hybrid buying decision based on fuel economy return on investment but I actually like hybrids better also because the trim levels tend to be nicer (even better value if you buy used low mileage), the torque and the quiet ride characteristics (less engine noise, no noticable gear shift). 

There's nothing quite like driving along at 40-45 MPH on a warm summer night in the moonlight with the windows rolled down and the car is basically silent except for maybe the music on the stereo.  I also like the panoramic roof - typically would have to pay a lot more to get one of those (Jetta Sportwagen, Mercedes?)

A tesla would be even nicer, but I think that money is better spent on paying off my mortgage instead.  The C-MAX is a good compromise.