Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Parking Assist Fail? Or Driver Fail?

parking assist parking

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   IanBlake

IanBlake

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • LocationVancouver
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:01 AM

I've used parking assist 100s of times before, and I love it. I've never had an issue with the technology and it's performed flawlessly when parallel parking into even the tightest of spots on either side of the street. Until today. Today was different....

I was backing into a (pretty darn big, relatively speaking) spot behind a lifted truck of some description, possibly an F150. My warning beeps never got beyond the 2nd phase (of the 4 phases - slow, fast, faster, flatline) so I kept on backing in slowly slowly... until the passenger side fender, all of a sudden, dinked the rear driver-side bumper of the truck. The resulting dent isn't huge, but the paint did crack so I've got a feeling my bill is going to be pretty darn high!

Now, yes I was pretty close to the truck but the parking assist has backed me into some curiously small spots in the past without issue, so I just assumed it would do the same thing here. 

So, here's my question... do the proximity sensors only detect objects that are directly in front of them? Or say, 180° around them, in a straight line? For example, in this scenario, did they only detect the rear tires of the truck and not the rear fender 'cos it was lifted?

Any insights would be much appreciated!

Edited by IanBlake, 04 August 2015 - 11:04 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 842 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:57 AM

I've used parking assist 100s of times before, and I love it. I've never had an issue with the technology and it's performed flawlessly when parallel parking into even the tightest of spots on either side of the street. Until today. Today was different....

I was backing into a (pretty darn big, relatively speaking) spot behind a lifted truck of some description, possibly an F150. My warning beeps never got beyond the 2nd phase (of the 4 phases - slow, fast, faster, flatline) so I kept on backing in slowly slowly... until the passenger side fender, all of a sudden, dinked the rear driver-side bumper of the truck. The resulting dent isn't huge, but the paint did crack so I've got a feeling my bill is going to be pretty darn high!

Now, yes I was pretty close to the truck but the parking assist has backed me into some curiously small spots in the past without issue, so I just assumed it would do the same thing here. 

So, here's my question... do the proximity sensors only detect objects that are directly in front of them? Or say, 180° around them, in a straight line? For example, in this scenario, did they only detect the rear tires of the truck and not the rear fender 'cos it was lifted?

Any insights would be much appreciated!

It is probably the height. The truck was too tall for the sensor height. If it doesn't pick up the other vehicle, it won't park right.

• MichaelM likes this

#3 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 699 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • LocationVancouver, BC
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 SEL

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:26 PM

Yes--height.  It is great at curbs and car bumpers but won't pick up raised objects such as loading bay ramps or (sadly in your case) raised bumpers.

• MichaelM likes this

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·