TSB 15-0129, Cracked Leather Seat Cushion

Bill-N

• 4 weeks later...

I have cracking on the top part of the panel on a 2013 SEL with only 20,000 miles.  Been waiting for the dealership to say they have parts for the restraints module recall to question them on it.  Good to know about the TSB so they cannot just claim normal wear and tear.  It has been 30 years since I have had to worry about cracking seats even with Alaska winters.  Car is in heated garage at night, and I use Meguiar's in the spring and fall.

I haven't even scheduled it yet! :)

Whoops, I read it as you were on your way in. :D Please let me know when you do.

I have cracking on the top part of the panel on a 2013 SEL with only 20,000 miles.  Been waiting for the dealership to say they have parts for the restraints module recall to question them on it.  Good to know about the TSB so they cannot just claim normal wear and tear.  It has been 30 years since I have had to worry about cracking seats even with Alaska winters.  Car is in heated garage at night, and I use Meguiar's in the spring and fall.

Hi donhak,

When you head back in, please let me know. I'll look into some additional assistance.

Meagan 

• 5 weeks later...

My car went in this morning to Liberty Ford in Brunswick, OH. They breezed through the outstanding recalls, and ordered a new seat cover for me, no problem at all. Couldn't be happier with this dealer, they're competent and communicative. I pick up the car tonight, and it will go back next week when the seat cover comes in.

• 1 month later...

Finally got my seat looked at by the dealer.  It matches the picture in post 7 almost exactly.  Dealer said the TSB still requires them to get approval from Ford before replacing the seat cover.  They took pictures just in case and will get approval this week.  It had started cracking at about 18,000 miles earlier in the year but waited until the dealer got parts and could complete the restraints module recall before having them look at the seat.  The TSB makes it easier to get approval for replacement under warranty.

2 1/2 years and 39,000 miles nothing yet. 

I use Dr. Jackson's leather cleaner conditioner made by Tandy Leather on my seats. Been using it for many years on saddles, bridals, shoes, boots and leather jackets. They also have a leather restorer that can make the driest leather shoo†h as a babies bottom.   

• 1 year later...

My seat had wrinkles in the leather 15K. Ford had dealer send photos. In an hour or so they ok'd a fix that involved removing the cusion and adjust the foam and leather. This did some good but far from acceptable. My dealer (Kendall Ford Eugene Or) did not take the tac of "we did what we could" instead they took photos again and told me Ford would need to make the decision. Perfectly acceptable answer. Ford, within 30 minutes, responded that a new seat cusion was on the way. Great service. I had seen this post and decided not to wait till more miles were on the car and the seats to crack. I suggest if the leathe seams to streatch and wrinkle take the car in to your dealer and let them take a look. I do not have any photos

Ford approved the seat cover replacement.  It's in now getting that done.  It was a cool -25C (-13F) during the walk to work.  brrr... The dealer also requested warranty replacement of the drivers side door inside panel due to an unexplainable dent on the top by the window... I said "Oh that... that's where I put my elbow while driving..."  They got approval to do that too... gotta teach myself not to put my elbow up there now!

• 5 months later...

No, it isn't covered under your warranty since you're outside the warranty period. You might be able to contact Ford and discuss it with them to get some goodwill and see if they're willing to work with you though!

No cracks from the TSB on either of my seats. Lots of wear on the seat bolster, stretch & wear marks. Might get better after I actually detail the car. 

Hi

My 2015 had creases that you knew were going to crack the dealer tried taking the seat cushion and adjusting the foam. This was done after sending photo to Ford. Did not fix the problem The dealer took photos again sent photos. Within a few minutes Ford agreed and sent a new seat cusion. Under warranty the car had about 18k and far less than 36 months.I do not have photo. Ford took great care in solving my problem. Also have a great dealer.

I figured I'd ask here first the way I read the TSB is that it woudl only apply during the 3/36 b2b warranty....

I'll try talking to the dealer,  I don t have much goodwill with them since I don't visit them for service.

one would think that a seat cover would last more than 5 years with what i would consider typical mileage.

i'm sure its a $300+ part as well...

labor doesn't look to hard to remove and replace though  I guess in the short term I could pull the cover off and add some fabric tape to the inside to help keep it from pulling apart and getting any worse..