Metallic grinding noise when braking and after - dealer says "it normal" is it?

I've been hearing a metallic grinding noise when braking and it stays for a while after releasing the pedal (the car has 29K miles).

The car's been into the dealership twice now, the first time they couldn't hear it and charged me $30 for the trouble. The second time I took one of the engineers out so he could hear it. Once he heard it they took it in for another day of work and 12 miles of road testing. However, after looking at the brakes, the pads and the calipers (all were in perfect shape)they came to the decision that it is all normal due to the regenerative braking.

I don't buy it, there shouldn't be a metal grinding noise from a car, let alone when its breaking and after. It's like the calipers don't release fully.

Has anyone else experienced the same/similar problem? I'll get a recording and post it to the thread.

Thanks for the quick responses - it definitely didn't sound right when the service manager said it was normal behaviour.

I'm now accutely aware of the noise now and drove the car close to a long wall so I could brake and coast a couple of times. It sounds awful and now seems to go longer than before. Guess I have another trip to the dealer next week...

Will keep the thread up to date.

Could be the pads are slightly glazed or a pad is not seated correctly. Hopefully not dragging, like you said, a stuck caliper, and it's down to the metal wear indicator.  Maybe caught a rock or something in the caliper. sometimes hard to determine without taking them apart sometimes.

i usually sand the pads down and bevel the leading edge a bit before I put new ones on so they don't squeak. some pads come that way, 

good luck. 

The dealership took everything off and checked the pads, discs and calipers - all came back with a clean bill of health.

i had thought about the glazed pads and had that checked also, again all ok.

Its the sound that's peculiar, as if the calipers aren't releasing fully.

Thanks Hybridbear - I haven't thought to check that out - will do so on the trip to work tomorrow.

Paul - my initial idea was that it was bearing related - even with only 29k on it - but the dealer said no. Although I'm wondering now just how much faith I put in their answers.

Griswoldo4g - interesting, I'll bring this up.

Today I found a freshly paved road - something of a rarity in these parts of MI - and I hear a pulsing sound that gets quicker/slower as I increase/decrease speeds, so perhaps its not the calipers and more of the bearing.

Updates as they happen...

Thanks again

Does the noise stop when turning a corner? You would need to check both left ad right.  If so it could be a bearing.  Might be good to have someone in the backseat to assist with pinpointing front/back and left/right.  Good luck!

Edited by brbevil

Car is booked into the dealership on Tuesday morning, not sure quite what their going to do different from the last time but if nothing works out then I found another dealer a few miles further away.

brbevil - thanks for the idea, will check that out over the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

So the local dealer had the car for 3 days this time around.

Day 1 - mechanic couldn't hear anything (couldn't be bothered more like), gave the customer service rep some bs answer - he's not happy with this and steps it up and wants to talk with the service manager. 

Day 2 CSR lets me know that he has spoken to the service manager and he wants to meet me and talk further...

Day 3 - Turn up to dealership and meet the service manager, we go for a test drive and as we get to the best section of road to hear the noise the heavens open and ruin any possibility of hearing the noise (brakes wet, rain noise, road's wet etc.) Brilliant...

Thankfully I had been able to record the sound on my phone so proceeded to play the clip to the service manager. Finally he gets to hear it and doesn't have an answer straight away (I can upload the clip if anyone's interested).

Long story short, service manager decides to have the rotors ground/flattened. 

So far so good, however I have not been able to get back to the best section of the road - this weekend though.

Not sure of the long term effects of having the rotors ground - any thoughts/comments?

And on a lighter note to finish with... the phone plays all the recorded clips back to back. So you can only imagine the surprise of the service manager (and my shock) when the speakers emit some weird screeching noises, followed by some purring... yes the recording I made of our cat was playing at full volume. Brilliant.