Strut replacement and ongoing noise

fcforce

This is the third time my 2013 C-Max has been at the dealership for a noise in the front left tire area. I have taken it to them and road tested it with a mechanic twice. Both times the mechanic heard the noise, but couldn't pinpoint it and basically said there wasn't much they could do at this point. After the second road test with a mechanic it was agreed that I would bring the car back in within a week or two for further analysis. That appointment was last Friday and luckily the noise has gotten progressively worse since the second road test. They determined it was a bad front left strut assembly and had the car from Friday 8/14 until Tuesday 8/18 for a replacement of the left front strut assembly. 

After replacing the strut assembly, they called me on Tuesday night and told me that they STILL heard the noise in the front left tire area. They simply could not explain what it was and wanted to keep the car another day. They said they are replaced a coil (or spring) and some hardware. 

On Wednesday they called and told me the mechanic and manager both drove the car and didn't hear the noise. Well guess what? The noise is still there! I can't understand how they couldn't hear it. They had the car for 6 days! Obviously the car needs to be seen by another dealership as this one obviously can't fix it. 

I have had this car since March 2014 and it has been in the shop for one thing or another repeatedly. It fell victim to the dreaded dead battery situation and required a tow to the dealership in April. This car has 16,000 miles on it and has been at the dealership entirely too much for a car with such low mileage. 

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? The noise sounds a lot lot paper crunching and it comes from the left tire well area. I had all the TSB's done regarding the strut noise at low speeds over uneven or rough roads. Nothing has helped. I am super frustrated and would appreciate any help or advice. I would love to trade it in, but I would take too large of a financial hit. 

It's difficult for a mechanic to tie down the problem when checking the car there at the garage. Can you imagine trying to figure out the problem on this forum? Does it do it at any speed, turning, stopping, how about accelerating? You say it's coming from one side left side. So that's the driver side of car. My two guesses, possible caliper stuck or semi stuck, check slider pins make sure they slide freely and nothing is jamming the pads. The other is the wheel bearings allot of people have had problems with them. Look on the bright side it sounds like it's getting worst drive it until it breaks. Just make sure you have a cell phone and a tow trucks phone number! Let us know what happen.  :)   

It does it going down exit ramps off highways, over rough/uneven roads, down the street in my neighborhood, etc. The mechanic heard it all three times he drove it. He did the strut assembly fix but the noise is still there.

We're not 100% confident with this car and will not drive it that far from home. I'd rather be stranded closer to home.

Thanks for your input!

I remember years ago had a Chrysler mini van. Had a vibration took it in 6 to 7 different times, same mechanic kept looking at it. Could't figure out what was wrong. Turn out it was the mechanic! Took it to a Dodge dealer first time. Found out struts were bad, also had cupped the tires so I had to get a new pair. Do suggest to try another Dealership, at least it's still under warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

My guess is the noise started after the tires were rotated. The rears are prone to feathering on the insides. When they were moved to the front the noise was much more noticeable. Reverse all your tires on their rims. The Michelin Energy A/S are not directional. I did this and it fixed the noise problem totally.