My wife and I go to the drive-in theater once or twice a year. I've gone in many cars over the years, from old school carb'd cars with auto nothing to hybrids with push button start and never had an issue.
On Saturday night we took my C-Max, which was a big mistake. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get the headlights and DRL's to stay off (Canadian car). I tried the following:
- Press start button on car with emergency brake on and foot not on the brake pedal. Headlights come on.
- Press start button on car with emergency brake on and foot on the brake pedal. Headlights come on.
- Press power button on the radio only, which let me listen to the radio for a few minutes until the car shut it off to save the battery.
- Pulled fuses F74 (headlamp supply) and F75 (foglamp supply) from the panel under the glovebox. Headlights come on mysteriously. This makes no sense at all.
- Pulled fuse F24 (relay coils / light switch module) from the power distribution box under the hood. In case you aren't following a pattern here, the headlights were still on!
In all cases I believe the headlights were the DRL's that were on. It made for a waste of time and money at the drive in as after the first 20 minutes or so, we had no sound.
Does anyone have any ideas on what else I could've done besides disconnecting the wiring harness from the headlights, or smashing them in with a hammer? Perhaps FordServiceCA can find out something? Or at least provide me with a hammer?
For 9300 miles I've had no issues and absolutely loved this car, until Saturday night happened.
FYI, in all cases, the headlamp switch was turned to the OFF position. I also tested that several times.
Edited by Bugblndr, 31 August 2015 - 09:25 AM.