Drive-In disappointment

Bugblndr

My wife and I go to the drive-in theater once or twice a year.  I've gone in many cars over the years, from old school carb'd cars with auto nothing to hybrids with push button start and never had an issue.

On Saturday night we took my C-Max, which was a big mistake.  No matter what I tried, I couldn't get the headlights and DRL's to stay off (Canadian car). I tried the following:

• Press start button on car with emergency brake on and foot not on the brake pedal.  Headlights come on.

• Press start button on car with emergency brake on and foot on the brake pedal.  Headlights come on.

• Press power button on the radio only, which let me listen to the radio for a few minutes until the car shut it off to save the battery.

• Pulled fuses F74 (headlamp supply) and F75 (foglamp supply) from the panel under the glovebox.  Headlights come on mysteriously.  This makes no sense at all.

• Pulled fuse F24 (relay coils / light switch module) from the power distribution box under the hood.  In case you aren't following a pattern here, the headlights were still on!

In all cases I believe the headlights were the DRL's that were on.  It made for a waste of time and money at the drive in as after the first 20 minutes or so, we had no sound.  

Does anyone have any ideas on what else I could've done besides disconnecting the wiring harness from the headlights, or smashing them in with a hammer?  Perhaps FordServiceCA can find out something?  Or at least provide me with a hammer?

For 9300 miles I've had no issues and absolutely loved this car, until Saturday night happened.

FYI, in all cases, the headlamp switch was turned to the OFF position.  I also tested that several times.

Edited by Bugblndr

My wife and I go to the drive-in theater once or twice a year.  I've gone in many cars over the years, from old school carb'd cars with auto nothing to hybrids with push button start and never had an issue.

On Saturday night we took my C-Max, which was a big mistake.  No matter what I tried, I couldn't get the headlights and DRL's to stay off (Canadian car). I tried the following:

• Press start button on car with emergency brake on and foot not on the brake pedal.  Headlights come on.

• Press start button on car with emergency brake on and foot on the brake pedal.  Headlights come on.

• Press power button on the radio only, which let me listen to the radio for a few minutes until the car shut it off to save the battery.

• Pulled fuses F74 (headlamp supply) and F75 (foglamp supply) from the panel under the glovebox.  Headlights come on mysteriously.  This makes no sense at all.

• Pulled fuse F24 (relay coils / light switch module) from the power distribution box under the hood.  In case you aren't following a pattern here, the headlights were still on!

In all cases I believe the headlights were the DRL's that were on.  It made for a waste of time and money at the drive in as after the first 20 minutes or so, we had no sound.  

Does anyone have any ideas on what else I could've done besides disconnecting the wiring harness from the headlights, or smashing them in with a hammer?  Perhaps FordServiceCA can find out something?  Or at least provide me with a hammer?

For 9300 miles I've had no issues and absolutely loved this car, until Saturday night happened.

FYI, in all cases, the headlamp switch was turned to the OFF position.  I also tested that several times.

I occasionally go to a drive in and realized this was going to be an issue, when I bought the car. Unfortunately, on the SEL there is nothing you can do. With the SE (which has a physical key), they still have an accessory mode that should work. I still may go to a drive in but the only option, that I'm aware of, is to bring a portable FM radio.

I occasionally go to a drive in and realized this was going to be an issue, when I bought the car. Unfortunately, on the SEL there is nothing you can do. With the SE (which has a physical key), they still have an accessory mode that should work. I still may go to a drive in but the only option, that I'm aware of, is to bring a portable FM radio.

Yeah, that really bites.  Time to retire the C-Max for our drive-in nights.  Portable radio is okay for warm nights but doesn't do much good up here during spring or fall as sometimes some heat or defogging of windows is necessary.

Every post I read on here said to just start with the emergency brake and the lights won't come on and the car would start and stop as required.  DRL's have been mandated here since 1990 and I've never had an issue with any other keyless ignition vehicle until this one.  

:swear:

I have no DRLs at all. It this a selectable option? My headlights are never on my SEL (energi) unless I turn them on. I actually thought about going to a drive-in this past weekend and was worried about the headlights. I checked and noticed then that I had no DRLs.

I have no DRLs at all. It this a selectable option? My headlights are never on my SEL (energi) unless I turn them on. I actually thought about going to a drive-in this past weekend and was worried about the headlights. I checked and noticed then that I had no DRLs.

2014 has them only on fleet vehicles. 2015 US models have a driver selection.

The C-Max has more room and is no less comfortable than my other two choices, a 2000 Trans Am or a 2005 Acura RSX.  It also has a better sound system than the Acura, although that turned out to be false when put to the test.

2 hour movie?  It was triple feature night.  I stayed for 2 and left before the third one.  I've sat in worse seats than the C-Max. 

Comfort in a car seat was a high priority for me, and the C-Max is about as comfortable as any I've tried (with my back problems I am VERY sensitive to seats that aren't).

That said, I wouldn't go to a drive-in unless I could somehow go back in time, get in pajamas, and watch from my parents back seat.  That's the only time I've ever enjoyed it.

Looks like this was something overlooked for vehicles with daytime running lights.  I have been to drive-ins with my SE and no problem.  I thought the SEL is exactly the same with the ability to turn off the headlights?  (for US version w/o DRL)

The SEL is different. The problem is that the SE has a three position switch, the SEL functionally is only a two. The SE, you have an accessory mode -- where basically just the radio is working -- then you have an on position, and you have to turn it all the way over -- a third position -- to start it. The SE switch, if you push it once it is on and push it a second time and it is off, at its most basic. The other option is that, if you have your foot on the brake when pushing the button, the engine turns on. If you don't have your foot on the brake, everything is on but the engine, it is the same as the SE in the On position without starting the car. The SELs have no ACC position, there is no way to turn on the radio and not the other electronics. In terms of a drive in movie, this means (without daytime running lights) you still have all the console/speedometer lights on, creating a lot of light you don't want at a drive in movie.

I did go to a restaurant drive-in once, and when my coke tipped over and landed in a blob of ketchup in a paper tray that was precariously balanced above the radio I thought "Why the hell am I not inside, sitting in a nice warm booth?".

But it would have been great to have lived through the 50s.

Edited by Adrian_L

I did go to a restaurant drive-in once, and when my coke tipped over and landed in a blob of ketchup in a paper tray that was precariously balanced above the radio I thought "Why the hell am I not inside, sitting in a nice warm booth?".

But it would have been great to have lived through the 50s.

The drive-in theater close to me is about a 15 minute drive.  They have three screens, hold several hundred cars each and are pretty close to capacity most weekend nights.  Within a 30 minute radius there are several million people, so it's no surprise they are so popular.

I don't go to the movies, as my home theater setup is way more comfortable with great sound and a 95" screen.  But I do love the drive-in from time to time.  It's more social, it's inexpensive, I can bring our dog, some wine or beer and some food and no one cares.  My wife and I went on our last anniversary, she packed a bottle of wine, some sushi, veggies and dip, cheese and crackers, etc.  It was a good time for all including our dog.

The SEL is different. The problem is that the SE has a three position switch, the SEL functionally is only a two. The SE, you have an accessory mode -- where basically just the radio is working -- then you have an on position, and you have to turn it all the way over -- a third position -- to start it. The SE switch, if you push it once it is on and push it a second time and it is off, at its most basic. The other option is that, if you have your foot on the brake when pushing the button, the engine turns on. If you don't have your foot on the brake, everything is on but the engine, it is the same as the SE in the On position without starting the car. The SELs have no ACC position, there is no way to turn on the radio and not the other electronics. In terms of a drive in movie, this means (without daytime running lights) you still have all the console/speedometer lights on, creating a lot of light you don't want at a drive in movie.

Good point but I was referring to the light switch.  You can just turn the headlights off. 

The ACC position on the SE is there but it is also not very functional.  I have used this but it does not take too long before the MFT shuts down to conserve energy.  I pretty much never use this anymore.  Just turn it to ready to drive mode. 

Good point but I was referring to the light switch.  You can just turn the headlights off. 

The ACC position on the SE is there but it is also not very functional.  I have used this but it does not take too long before the MFT shuts down to conserve energy.  I pretty much never use this anymore.  Just turn it to ready to drive mode. 

I think the problem was the OP was in Canada, and the DRL cannot be turned off.

Interesting. I had DRL turned on for my 2008 FEH, and they only came on when the car was in drive (D). So yours come on at night regardless?

On the C-Max, the DRL are always on if the ignition is on, which can be a bit annoying. On the C-Max, the headlights act as the DRL (just in a lower power mode), so technically they are off when the headlights are on.

This is curious... two US-spec 2013 Ice Storm SELs, one with DRL, the other without.

It seem no one remembers the complaint thread of all the people who wanted DRL but didn't have them. Canadian drivers, of course, had DRL. Fleet buyers had a choice...

As stevedebi notes, Ford dealers can turn them on, or off, usually for a fee. Mine are off, and I like it that way. Headlights at night are a far greater issue for astronomers than movie-goers. Aux time out is a far greater issue for movie-goers, in my book, so I have a separate sound system for drive-ins.  

Have fun,

Frank

This is curious... two US-spec 2013 Ice Storm SELs, one with DRL, the other without.

It seem no one remembers the complaint thread of all the people who wanted DRL but didn't have them. Canadian drivers, of course, had DRL. Fleet buyers had a choice...

As stevedebi notes, Ford dealers can turn them on, or off, usually for a fee. Mine are off, and I like it that way. Headlights at night are a far greater issue for astronomers than movie-goers. Aux time out is a far greater issue for movie-goers, in my book, so I have a separate sound system for drive-ins.  

Have fun,

Frank

They can turn them off on the 2013, not the 2014. Of course the 2015 has it driver selectable. 

But in Canada, they cannot be turned off, by law.

RANT BELOW, stop reading if you like.

I am one of those who wanted them on, but no way - they took out the dealer capability to turn them on for the 2014, and told the dealer not to attempt any changes.

Probably my last Ford over the way their corporate office has handled the "MPG" issue; they "fixed" the problem by removing display capabilities from the newer models. I mean, removing gallons used from the trip meters, and estimated HVB miles on the Fusion Energi? That is just stupid, and I don't need stupid manufacturers making decisions based on that kind of thing. I want decisions based on customer service and good engineering, not lawyers and corporate busybodies (neither of whom seem to care about the consumer).

My next vehicle is probably a Honda or VW diesel. It may be a while, since I will consider purchasing this one if I continue to like it when the lease is done, and if it makes financial sense.