Service Tire Mobility Kit

AllisonM84

I just got an error message telling me to "Service My Tire Mobility Kit"

I have never used it before, in fact I didn't even know I had it. Is this something I need to take it into the dealer to get taken care of?

It is designed to make sure the fix-it flat repair can is OK. Personally, I recommend getting an inexpensive tire repair kit (plugs), and using that along with the inflator. Cost me around 10 bucks total. Be sure and include small pliers to remove nails, etc.

Those fix-it cans are terrible on the rims and the TPMS sensors.

I believe there is a setting in the myview or on the display on selecting the Tire Mobility Kit service interval. 1,2,3 years, probably so the fluid fix stuff doesn't go bad to get it replaced. Not sure how long the stuff lasts if you don't use it. 

The dealer has to replace the canister if you use it to fix your tires, or after so many years?  you may have to replace the TPMS sensor in the tire too once you use the fix it foam. As he stated, get a tire repair kit with plugs, etc....just in case.

Edited by WNY

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Just had the "Service Tire Mobility Kit " warning come up and got rid of it by going to settings, vehicle, tire mobility kit and change the interval to 4 yrs. :)

Paul

Just got this at 6 yrs, 3 months and 94,000 miles for the first time I can recall.  I knew I would find the answer here to make this message go away.

• 1 month later...

Regarding the advice to carry a plug kit/pliers and skip the sealer: not everyone has the ability to do the work on the side of the road.

I've just recently used the sealant on a 24k mile used tire (Nissan Leaf) and it worked exactly as advertised. Yes, follow-up was inconvenient, to take the car to a tire shop, remove the tire from the rim, flush out the water-base sealant, plug/patch from the inside, remount, balance tire. The TPMS wasn't affected by the sealant.

1500 miles later, tire hasn't lost a breath of air. The convenience factor, for anyone not mechanically inclined, is important. (I would prefer a full-sized spare, as the sealant is worthless, of course, if there's a blow-out!)

Is there any problem with ignoring the warning to service the tire mobility kit notice or, better yet, turning it off?  I carry a spare tire in my C max at all times so I don't expect to ever use the kit.

go to Post #4 and take care of it. :)

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Step #4 doesnt have the menu on my 2013 Cmax SEL. the system was last updated by Ford around 2015. is this a new option. any special keys to use to reset this?

Also, my CMAX has a spare tire so no idea why the display pops up. it's annoying as hell and when it went off, we were speeding down the freeway so scared the crap out of the family. thought we blew a tire.

Step #4 doesnt have the menu on my 2013 Cmax SEL. the system was last updated by Ford around 2015. is this a new option. any special keys to use to reset this?

Also, my CMAX has a spare tire so no idea why the display pops up. it's annoying as hell and when it went off, we were speeding down the freeway so scared the crap out of the family. thought we blew a tire.

http://cmaxchat.com/?p=2102

Perhaps a previous owner added one, like I did.

• 3 months later...

It's not the center console screen. Rather...

1. Turn the car on.

2. Using the left-hand set of buttons in the steering wheel, press left until you can't go any more screens left.

3. Go down to Settings, and select Settings.

4. Go down to Tire Mobility Kit, and select it.

5. Change the reminder timing on the Tire Mobility Kit. Options on my car are 1 through 4 years.

It had been set to "1" so I set it for "2", backed out of the menu. Powered the car off then back on, and the warning no longer appeared. I then went back into the menu and set it back to "1" year. The entire kit had been replaced under warranty when the pressure gauge failed. I travel with a full-size spare when I take long road trips; otherwise, I call my insurance company who sends a tech.

I just had mine alert also.  I believe the part number is TA34 and it costs $19-$29 depending on where you get it.  There's a little button on the side of the inflator under where the hose is retained to pull off the old cylinder and insert a new one.  The sealant has a limited shelf life so instead of taking a chance on old parts I just went to the auto parts store and bought a can of fix a flat instead.  I also have plugs, etc. as well but thankfully to date have never had a flat.

Edited by jestevens

I've used and carried a nice bicycle pump for years now - whip it out, clip it on and pump away.  Super fast and works 100% of the time.  The Ford compressor is a pain in the ass and you can flatten the tire just trying to get the thingie screwed into the tire valve. 

I carry a full size spare with me on long trips and have devised (and tried out successfully) a jack as well.  Eats up space in the back but I can fix a flat in about 18 min. and that gives us a more secure feeling than the joke Ford provided.

I keep 'real' (thick wire) jumper cables inside the spare tire and on a long trip this week had to jump someone in a hotel parking lot. They had cables but what I call 'joke' jumper cables. They were pretty surprised when mine did the trick instantly after messing with theirs for 15 min. with no success.

They asked where they could get jumpers like mine and I had to laugh and say I'd bought them 30+ years ago (in Upstate NYS where it really gets cold).

So I ended up getting the TA-34 from RockAuto and it came with even more expiration than the car can track in its "minder" program so no worries there.  I occasionally use the compressor to pump up the tires anyway and when I pulled the plug out last time the tip became separated from the rest of the housing so I put superglue on the threads and plug seems good as new now.  I still kept a can of fix-a-flat along with some tire plugs in the spare well in the back row.  Those cans say to store in trunk or spare tire compartment because the regular car interior is too hot.  I watched the fix a flat video and one thing I didn't realize is that they want you to roll the car so that the puncture is on the bottom of the tire, so when the sealant settles it covers the hole.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Thanks for how to turn off the annoying warning ! ?   I guess I've been lucky.  I got a new set of original equipment Michelin tires at the dealer, at 71K miles, $836, never had any flats or leaks before or since.  Mostly highway driving.  But I have plugged a lot of puncture failures on other peoples cars, and I will add the hand pump per the forum recommendation above.  Plus a can of rubber cement that will last for years, and pliers to pull out a nail.  And a jack.   If you think about it, a hand pump is probably more efficient than a tiny 12 volt compressor.