TOTALED OUR 2013 C-MAX

BIG ROCCO

Someone stopped short, for no known reason - I was driving the 3rd car in a 3 car pileup - rear-ended a Mini Clubman.  ~25-30 MPH.  Both front seat belt pre-tensioners and both front and drivers knee airbags deployed.  The wife got a bruise on here left chest/boob from the seat belt - I got a minor burn on my left thigh/knee.  They said the car had $12K+ in damage and it was totaled.  Needed a new hood, front bumper, both headlights, grill, hood, three airbags and upper dash cover and both seat belts.  The car actually drove away fine, no rattles or noises or pulling, no coolant leaks and the AC worked great - the hood even opened and re-latched.  Windshield was perfect and all the doors opened and closed and fit like new.

So, 2 1/2 years after we bought our 2013 C-Max SEL, we considered what we wanted to buy to replace it.  Long story short, we bought a new 2015 C-Max, same White Platimum exterior, same Stone interior, same 302A  option package - a virtual twin to our 2013.  The car actually cost a little less than we paid in '13.  After my 1,000 collision deductible, I only got around $17K for the '13, so it cost me about $13K for the '15, ($29,700 out the door after all taxes and fees)  

When I was growing up we had the old "ten car lengths" rule of thumb but the problem with it OR the two second rule is the same: you leave ten car lengths in front of you, and there will be ten cars in there (and if you leave two seconds in front of you there will be TWENTY cars in there).

The same thing is true if you drop your speed to the limit -- yesterday my wife and I were on a two lane no passing road where the limit was 55 and an expensive Jag literally got on our tail -- perhaps not even five feet of room, maybe even less (I couldn't see his headlights but only his windshield).  I had been going 60 or just slightly under, but there was no way I was going to speed up (because otherwise *I* would be riding the car in front of me) so I did the only thing I could do under the circumstances... I slowed down to WAY under the limit (perhaps even 45 or even less) in order to give him time to react in case I had to stop suddenly.  I didn't "suddenly" slow down but did it very carefully and in such a manner that perhaps he might have thought we had car trouble.

Now, there are many folks who would have gotten mad at me (some even on this forum) and I'm sure he did as well, but it was the only safe thing to do under the circumstances.  We stayed that way for about two minutes and then (wait for it) he finally came to his left hand turn and made it.  Yep, he was tailgating at 60mph in a 55mph zone in order to save 10 seconds for his left hand turn he HAD to make (of course, by doing so he LOST more than 10 seconds when I slowed down safely).  (This left hand turn was into a development, so it's not as if he had more than another minute to go before he got home).

You definitely have to drop back, and keep an eye on things -- I always assume that people will do the most idiotic thing in the world and I'm seldom surprised when it happens (like that idiot).

testimony for the trust in C-MAX - ford can use it in their advertising (which they seem to be doing very little of).

Kind of curious what the sale price was excluding fees/tax on the new 2015 model. Did you get the full ford incentives ($2500 off)?

I bought gas yesterday for $1.889 yesterday. While gas prices stay low, you are unlikely to see much, if any, advertising for hybrids -- at least other than areas like California where EVs and hybrids are encouraged and gas is $4/gallon. Once OPEC decides it is time to raise prices again, you will start seeing hybrids advertised heavily; especially as families find they can no longer afford the gas guzzler they bought during the low gas prices.

Mmm - I didn't get into this, because it was not the point of my post, but the real lesson is don't use even a handsfree cell phone in traffic, or at least don't look away even for the second it takes to press OK to hang up the call, because you might find yourself up someone butt.  Again the point of my post is that even 2+ years later, we didn't think there was anything better for OUR needs out there, and in fact, we still wanted exactly the same color exterior, interior, and options.  I thought that was actually pretty surprising 

Mmm - I didn't get into this, because it was not the point of my post, but the real lesson is don't use even a handsfree cell phone in traffic, or at least don't look away even for the second it takes to press OK to hang up the call, because you might find yourself up someone butt.  Again the point of my post is that even 2+ years later, we didn't think there was anything better for OUR needs out there, and in fact, we still wanted exactly the same color exterior, interior, and options.  I thought that was actually pretty surprising 

Look away to end a call? There is a button on the steering wheel that does this; I never look at it either to accept or hang up. The two "thumb" controls are indented for a reason - it makes it very simple to know exactly where the "up/down/left/right" are located.

Sell price $29,157 including required window tint, paint and fabric protection, glass VIN etch.

Wondering who requires those items?  The state, the insurance company, or the dealership for a huge add on?  Window tint I can understand in your climate, but curious why the other items and their cost.

Look away to end a call? There is a button on the steering wheel that does this; I never look at it either to accept or hang up. The two "thumb" controls are indented for a reason - it makes it very simple to know exactly where the "up/down/left/right" are located.

C'mon guys..........everyone takes their attention off the road from time to time:  to put a CD in the stereo, to glance at a pretty girl on the sidewalk, to tell your kids to stop fighting in the back seat.

That's not why people are ploughing into each other at 35 mph.  The reason is that they are driving FAR too close to each other and simply don't have time to react if someone "stops short for no reason".  

Insurance companies assess rear enders at 100% driver's fault in virtually all circumstances---for the simple reason that they are always the driver's fault.

C'mon guys..........everyone takes their attention off the road from time to time:  to put a CD in the stereo, to glance at a pretty girl on the sidewalk, to tell your kids to stop fighting in the back seat.

That's not why people are ploughing into each other at 35 mph.  The reason is that they are driving FAR too close to each other and simply don't have time to react if someone "stops short for no reason".  

Insurance companies assess rear enders at 100% driver's fault in virtually all circumstances---for the simple reason that they are always the driver's fault.

I realize it happens... but not when answering a call in a C-Max (assuming you are doing it right).

CD... hmmm, yes, there is some kind of slot up there above the radio. I haven't used mine once. I assume it works.

Sell price $29,157 including required window tint, paint and fabric protection, glass VIN etch.

Wondering who requires those items?  The state, the insurance company, or the dealership for a huge add on?  Window tint I can understand in your climate, but curious why the other items and their cost.

Yes, I declined the VIN etch and other add-on's and the salesman openly told me these were optional. I don't think they even do anything to the car if you pay these. In my area you can get $2500-$3200 dealer discount on the c-max . this on top of the $2500 ford incentives. And this is without doing any work. only thing was it was difficult to find a car that was fresh out of the factory.

Dealer...well they were already on the car, and that car was the only CM in AZ in colors and equipped the way we wanted it - not sure if we could have ordered a car without it, but that was obviously not an option.  This is a shorter list than some other dealers in the Phoenix area - $484 total, so really not too bad...plus the $499 doc fee

Edited by BIG ROCCO