How long did your Rear Brake & Rotors last?

• 5 months later...

I should have come here first.  I took Coolmax to my dealer for an oil change.  They pointed out the rusted rotors and sold me a 600 dollar brake job.  Looking on here, I find out I did not need the brakes but just needed to brake in neutral going down a hill.  I'm wondering if anything could be done to recoup some of the money, or just use it as learning experience?

Thanks for the forum and will check it if anything strange occurs to Coolmax again. 

Edited by coolmax

I should have come here first.  I took Coolmax to my dealer for an oil change.  They pointed out the rusted rotors and sold me a 600 dollar brake job.  Looking on here, I find out I did not need the brakes but just needed to brake in neutral going down a hill.  I'm wondering if anything could be done to recoup some of the money, or just use it as learning experience?

Thanks for the forum and will check it if anything strange occurs to Coolmax again.

Ouch.  Getting a brake job you didn't need.

Ouch.  Paying 600 for less that one hours work and less that 100 in parts. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disc-Brake-Pad-and-Rotor-Kit-Select-Pack-Single-Axle-Rear-fits-13-15-Escape-/162039193647?fits=Model%3AC-Max&hash=item25ba49e02f:g:IcQAAOSwKfVXEMzb&vxp=mtr

You could by start calling the dealer with the info you now know.

You might be able to get something out of them. 

Sometime I get a "how did we do email" after I get work done from the dealer and also sometime by Ford.

Edited by obob

... Looking on here, I find out I did not need the brakes (repaired) but just needed to brake in neutral going down a hill.  ...

Maybe, maybe not. You only caught part of the story. Braking in neutral isn't the only answer. Here's what else to look for.

What's your mileage? At 50K on my '13, a rear rotor warped, requiring service. 

The real clues showed up through EBD.

Electronic brake distrubution uses the ABS system sensors and actuators to alter the car's front-rear brake balance. This is critical in cars with regenerative braking, as only one axle participates in regen. As my rear brakes initially degraded, I noticed an odd drop in braking force in turns. Just as the car entered a turn, it felt like brake failure, as if the car sped up. Eventually, it started making noise, like a wheel bearing... but it was the brakes. 

As always, YMMV. Has anyone else who saw the brake force drop, subsequently reuired rear brake service?

Have fun,

Frank

• 5 months later...