Blue Ox Baseplate Safety Cables??????

Just had a Blue Ox Alpha tow bar set up on my MoHo to tow a 2013 SEL. It came with what Blue Ox calls PERMANENT BASEPLATE SAFETY CABLES. These are big heavy duty cables when uncoiled are about 8 feet long. They want me to attach them to the baseplate, run them under the car and wrap them around the frame and leave them there permanently. Has anyone ever heard of this or actually done it? I never have. Thanks for any input.

Dave

Sure........they are your failsafe wires so your car doesn't fly off behind you if anything breaks or disconnects.

Attach hooks to baseplate---wrap around tow bar---attach to other end to MOHO. 

The manual should explain how they attach.  Some guy on youtube probably has a video about them too.

Edited by Adrian_L

Adrian,

These aren't the normal safety cables that run from the MoHo to the car, they're an additional set that's supposed to attach to the baseplate, run under the car and wrap around the frame somewhere. Instructions say it's incase the baseplate comes off of the frame somehow. They're like 9 feet long with huge hooks. They want them left on the car all the time, even when you're not towing. I've never seen or heard of that.

To answer your question yes it has been that way for as long as I have used tow bars, ie 2004. The cables are always installed when the tow bar base plate is installed, in fact I'm not sure you can find a commercial installer who leave them off.  Base plates have been know to come loose and disconnect, these cables at least allow you to not lose the car.

Gary

Edited by garymkrieg