Key Options?

JayCo59

Is it me or does anyone else hate the Key\FOB combination you get with the SE model. I've always preferred a seperate (small) key and FOB or have a key that will fold into the FOB.

Does anyone know if there are other key styles available that can be used for a CMAX car? I'm starting to regret not getting the SEL with the proximity key.

Thx,

Jay

Edited by JayCo59

Funny this is the first combo key I've had and I like it better than a separate key and fob. Seems to take up less space in my pocket. On a side note I asked the dealer today what a replacement key would cost and he said they're laser cut and have to be special ordered at $150 each. Ouch!

On a side note I asked the dealer today what a replacement key would cost and he said they're laser cut and have to be special ordered at $150 each. Ouch!

I know this isn't necessarily important now, but for future reference:

Don't ever buy a key at the dealer (unless you don't like your money).

I have bought many genuine OEM key blanks / keyfobs on the net and programmed them myself. I have done GM, Chrysler, and Volkswagen.

My most recent one was a new GM. The dealer wanted $129 for the keyfob, $60 for the key, and $50 to program/cut them. I bought a genuine GM key blank online 2 for $12. I bought a keyfob for $19. I programed the keyfob myself, and I had the key blank cut by a locksmith for $10. I have done Volkswagen laser-cut flip-key keyfobs. I have done one-piece Chrysler key+keyfobs.

If you are nervous about it call some local locksmiths and you may have one who is licensed, yet is still way way less expensive than a dealership.

Even laser cut keys are done by locksmiths now.

ONE IMPORTANT CAVEAT: To program things with your car you always have to have at least one currently working key. You cannot program a keyfob without at least one currently working key. Without an existing key, you will need the dealership or a licensed auto locksmith.

"Special Ordered" is standard dealership BS for "we are going to gouge the crap out of you".

The internet is your friend.

I am sure I will even be able to find a way to get it done with smart keys that use RFID, like Ford MyKey...

Edited by valkraider

Let me know if you find the blank online because I'd like a third key. I just added a third key to our Taurus X which uses the integrated keyfob key. Bought it on eBay for $32, locksmith cut it for free, and programmed it myself. But I haven't found the blank online yet for the C-Max reverse cut key.

Edited by dtorres