Best Car Since The C-Max?

SnowStorm

Nice car.   Does it cost more than my $21K C-Max?  :lol2:

Let's see, how many 21K C-Max can you get for 131K? Really, the Energi is closer. You could buy four C-Max Energi for one Model X. Almost 5 for the performance model.

But really, the "X" is a lot bigger car (over 5000 lbs), and entirely different. If you have to ask the price, the car isn't for you.

Let's see, how many 21K C-Max can you get for 131K? Really, the Energi is closer. You could buy four C-Max Energi for one Model X. Almost 5 for the performance model.

With that hump in the back you'll need those 4 NRGs to haul the same amount of stuff! :lol:

Its :spend: , yes, but there are some interesting things to consider:

1. With electric cars you are buying battery and its not all about range (miles/charge).  Its also about total miles the car can go before loss of xx% of capacity.  The Model X battery is almost 4 times the size of cars like the Leaf or FFE.  By that metric the "standard" configuration will probably be cheaper on a cost per "battery wear-out" mile.  Plus you get all the other incredible features "for free".
  2. The unlimited mile 8 year warranty means you go 200, 300 even 500,000 miles with full warranty on battery and drive train.  Try to get that on another car!  Point 1 above is the reason they can do this.
  3. Free charging at their Superchargers.  Gas has averaged about $3 over the past 8 years and a "similar" 7 passenger ICE SUV gets about 20 mpg so for 30,000 miles/year (The Enterprise is doing that right now) for 8 years that comes to $36,000!  Let gas go to $6 bucks (or drive twice as far) and its $72,000!  Now tell me which car was cheaper.  And there's no time "wasted" while you charge - there are so many things you can do (in the car or out) that I won't even start the list.

Of course the above points assume you drive a lot of miles - but lots of us do.  Have I talked myself into one yet?  Anyone else want one?  Hey, you can always dream - with all the Reservations I don't think there will be any 0% finance offers any time soon!

if I had 80K rolling around in my wallet  that I had to spend (ie close relative dies and leaves me $$$$).  Id get the 70d brand new.  yeah it would be fun to go 0-60 is 3 seconds.  but the 70 will do it 5..  with a 240 mile range.  thats 13 trips to work.  and since we have electric charging stations at work.  in theory  I'd not have to spend any coin at home charging..

heck after tax incentives  a base model 70 with just rear wheel drive is 52K

With that hump in the back you'll need those 4 NRGs to haul the same amount of stuff! :lol:

Its :spend: , yes, but there are some interesting things to consider:

1. With electric cars you are buying battery and its not all about range (miles/charge).  Its also about total miles the car can go before loss of xx% of capacity.  The Model X battery is almost 4 times the size of cars like the Leaf or FFE.  By that metric the "standard" configuration will probably be cheaper on a cost per "battery wear-out" mile.  Plus you get all the other incredible features "for free".
  2. The unlimited mile 8 year warranty means you go 200, 300 even 500,000 miles with full warranty on battery and drive train.  Try to get that on another car!  Point 1 above is the reason they can do this.
  3. Free charging at their Superchargers.  Gas has averaged about $3 over the past 8 years and a "similar" 7 passenger ICE SUV gets about 20 mpg so for 30,000 miles/year (The Enterprise is doing that right now) for 8 years that comes to $36,000!  Let gas go to $6 bucks (or drive twice as far) and its $72,000!  Now tell me which car was cheaper.  And there's no time "wasted" while you charge - there are so many things you can do (in the car or out) that I won't even start the list.

Of course the above points assume you drive a lot of miles - but lots of us do.  Have I talked myself into one yet?  Anyone else want one?  Hey, you can always dream - with all the Reservations I don't think there will be any 0% finance offers any time soon!

You bring up some interesting points, but "lots of miles" when you have to recharge every 240 miles or so? And even at 30 minutes, that is a fair chunk of life used up waiting for the car to be ready to go - and just make sure you don't want to "go" more than 250. No thanks.

As for the "superchargers", as electricity gets more expensive, those chargers will either bankrupt the company or they will start charging cash to use them. They are losing thousands with each car they produce, and should the subsidies dry up the company is toast. But I don't think people are going to be using that supercharge network for all their miles, or even most. The network is designed for interstate driving. Normal home driving is recharged by home electricity.

These are nice commuter cars for very rich folks.

Edited by stevedebi

Steve,

A rich commuter is a bit of a stretch.  the fact that it can go 3x as far as any other domestic or Asian all electric vehicle. is still very impressive.

right now I fill up every 500 miles.  I spend about 10-15 minutes.  filling up washing windows chekcing the oil.  and I spend 30- bucks.  pull into work  plug in, and walk away.  come back t the end of the day and  drive away.  not like I'm sitting by the car waiting.  Not sure I ever seen any one at any charging spots.  just waiting for their car to fill up with electrons. 

the issua bout not going more than 250 miles.  gas vehicles have the same issue.  Ie  you don't run the tank dry..  I can count on one hand in the last 30 years that I've needed a jerry can of gas to ge me out of a bind.  twice was on a motorcycle and three times in a lawn mower...

I'd be able to drive to richmond VA and back (180) miles) with out charging.  no other electric car can do that.  30 minutes is a long time???  takes longer to each lunch.  Heck it takes longer to charge my dewalt 18V cordless drill battery... the fact the musk can get nearly a full charge in 30 minutes is pretty impressive.  Not seeing any other car makers coming close.

Is it a rich mans car...  yes...its going up against the european $$$ market.  and they are starting to get a chunk of the market.

I'm still pretty impressed with it.  And if I was rich.  Id buy one over a bmw or merc, lexus, ect.  Id still choose the aston marton over the tesla  but  that going  to the quarter mill market then.   :)

Personally, I'd likely buy the Model S 85D, with 270 miles of range. At 70 mph, that is just under 4 hours of driving. At that point, I can stop and get some lunch and the car will be ready to go when I'm done. Additionally, it is safer and makes for a more pleasant trip to actually spend some time out of the car.

Of course, after lunch the charge level is only about 75%, so I only have about 3 hours before the next charging stop. OTOH, it will also encourage me to stop at scenic points, go see some of the attractions along the way, etc. I'll agree that it isn't as good if you are trying to get someplace as quickly as possible but, if I need to do that, I'm going to be flying. As long as you are driving, taking the time to enjoy the drive is not just less tiring, that also makes it safer.

For a glimpse into the life of one (highly atypical?) Tesla owner, follow Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak's verified account (@stevewoz) on Twitter.

Don't know which P85 model he owns, but his Twitter account contains posts from swarmapp.com as Woz travels all over the world.

His most recent Tesla-related posts from swarmapp were August 17th-24th, 2015, many entries when stopping to recharge his Tesla on a driving vacation in the western US.

Don't misunderstand me, I think the car is cool. But to me it would not do for my needs unless I were rich, in which case I probably wouldn't need to worry about charging it anyway. But I'd still have a freeway car for use on those long trips I would take enjoying my riches.

Here is LA it actually makes sense, because I would only have to charge up a few times a week. But on a practical basis as the only car, nope, no way, regardless of my income.

Steve,

A rich commuter is a bit of a stretch.  the fact that it can go 3x as far as any other domestic or Asian all electric vehicle. is still very impressive.

right now I fill up every 500 miles.  I spend about 10-15 minutes.  filling up washing windows chekcing the oil.  and I spend 30- bucks.  pull into work  plug in, and walk away.  come back t the end of the day and  drive away.  not like I'm sitting by the car waiting.  Not sure I ever seen any one at any charging spots.  just waiting for their car to fill up with electrons. 

the issua bout not going more than 250 miles.  gas vehicles have the same issue.  Ie  you don't run the tank dry..  I can count on one hand in the last 30 years that I've needed a jerry can of gas to ge me out of a bind.  twice was on a motorcycle and three times in a lawn mower...

...  :)

I drive an Energi, and there are lots of folks that don't fill up more than once every 6 months. I personally fill up every two months, assuming I don't have road trips in between. Yet I can take my car anywhere without regard for charging stations.

As to range, my two cars have 550 - 600 (C-Max Energi, in gasoline hybrid mode) and 650  (VW TDI  [at least until VW changes the computer]). I check the tank size before I buy a car; I don't want to have to fill up too often.

I'd love one of these cars, but I'd use in only here in LA, and install the powerful charger at home. The Tesla takes forever to charge on a normal plug in, and even businesses who have chargers are only L2, not the high power chargers used by Tesla. And this is in LA, probably third in charging capabilities behind San Franscisco and Silicon Valley.

I agree.  as an only car... no way....  Hell my wife woudl probably like it as a road trip car.  it woudl actually force me to stop and pull over. and take a break.  my last trip to ohio  I stopped once for fuel.  Yeah I get that the drive can be enjoyable and realxing,  but when you are not retired and your taking tim eoff work.  gotta get from point a to b  quick...

the technology is only going to get better.  And its people like Musk  that have the brass and $$$ to take the risk.  while the big automakers have the money,  none of them  really are ballsy enough to take risk.  Although toyota did the prius and it worked out. as timing was just right...

on a 110 house plug.  you get 5 miles per hour charging 52 hours from empty to full charge. 

240v plug (same as oven or dryer) 32 miles per charge or just over 9 hours for a full charge from empty

52 hours is a bitmuch..

pretty neat read...  the record is 30 hours  (nearly 100 MPH averag speed)  and mapquest has the trip pegged at 43 hours (65 mph average)

http://jalopnik.com/they-drove-a-tesla-from-la-to-new-york-in-a-record-58-h-1699782187 

Edited by Marc Smith

I agree.  as an only car... no way....  Hell my wife woudl probably like it as a road trip car.  it woudl actually force me to stop and pull over. and take a break.  my last trip to ohio  I stopped once for fuel.  Yeah I get that the drive can be enjoyable and realxing,  but when you are not retired and your taking tim eoff work.  gotta get from point a to b  quick...

the technology is only going to get better.  And its people like Musk  that have the brass and $$$ to take the risk.  while the big automakers have the money,  none of them  really are ballsy enough to take risk.  Although toyota did the prius and it worked out. as timing was just right...

on a 110 house plug.  you get 5 miles per hour charging 52 hours from empty to full charge. 

240v plug (same as oven or dryer) 32 miles per charge or just over 9 hours for a full charge from empty

52 hours is a bitmuch..

pretty neat read...  the record is 30 hours  (nearly 100 MPH averag speed)  and mapquest has the trip pegged at 43 hours (65 mph average)

http://jalopnik.com/they-drove-a-tesla-from-la-to-new-york-in-a-record-58-h-1699782187 

Your charging times are a bit off, at least in the per hour range, from what I understand. The Tesla S, on a fast charger, will go up to 70% in 40 minutes or less -- or at least that is the claim. On a slow charger it is obviously going to be much slower, but you should still be able to get to 70% in a few hours. The issue, and most of the time spent, is to top off the last 25-30% of the battery.

Edited by raadsel

yes I agree that going from zero to 707% willhappen pretty quick  and like you said  the last 30% is th ebugger.  I have the same problme with I charge up my LIPO's for my RC boats.  the last little takes a while as the charger drops the amps so it doesn't over juice the battery

i got the charging times from here

https://www.cars.com/articles/2013/11/how-quickly-does-the-tesla-model-s-battery-charge/

Your charging times are a bit off, at least in the per hour range, from what I understand. The Tesla S, on a fast charger, will go up to 70% in 40 minutes or less -- or at least that is the claim. On a slow charger it is obviously going to be much slower, but you should still be able to get to 70% in a few hours. The issue, and most of the time spent, is to top off the last 25-30% of the battery.

Based on this article, I'd say the estimates were on track:

https://www.cars.com/articles/2013/11/how-quickly-does-the-tesla-model-s-battery-charge/