When parking, keep foot off the brake when powering off

aschofer

I don't have any proof to support this, but I noticed when picking up my CMax a shut down procedure that differed from my Toyota Prius.

Prius, when powering off you apply your foot to the brake pedal, push in the Park button, then Power Off. When I followed this process with my CMax at the dealer - put transmission into Park, put foot on the brake and then pushing the PowerOff button, I noticed on the Synch Display that the car was going into a "Battery Save" mode. When asked, the salesman said that you do not put your foot on the brake when powering off the CMax.

This could be a reason so many people are experiencing Dead Batteries because they are putting their foot on the brake when shutting off/powering off the CMax. The "Battery Save" mode probably drains the battery until it's dead.

Hope it helps.

By the way, I have 800 miles on my CMax and no battery problems so far, knock on wood:)

I think I remember a C-Max owner saying he wondered the same thing as he had noticed his car going into Battery Save mode when he shut his car off, and then came out to a dead battery. Your idea is well worth trying. I think some computer whiz on this forum needs to start a pdf file with all the problems so it is readily available to print out and take into the dealer if problems come up. Thanks for your thoughts as they sound sensible.