New owner of used 2013 C-Max Hybrid SEL

SCSweeney

Tomorrow I pick up the Cmax. 40k miles. Platinum White. 303A option package.

Any advice or suggestions or things to look out for?

Bought from Texas Direct Autos in Houston, which is where I live. Soon will get it to the dealer to get caught up on any warranty recall work. Carfax clean and I've seen the Ford service record. No battery replacement.

First used car I've bought. First hybrid. First four banger. Replacing my Genesis 4.6 .... so this should be interesting. If I can average 40 mpg or better I will cut my fuel costs in half. I drive 15 mi round trip to the office each day, but I do travel around town and with kids sports a fair amount. 15k or so mi per year is around my average.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to saving some $. The geni was great and I will miss her in many ways. Turning the page ...

I should note ... this will be my first American car since college and first Ford ever. Kind of scary reading deep into this forum. Seems like there have been a lot of problems and particularly with the '13s. Hopefully I got one of the (many) good ones. My parents love their Fords and particularly their '14 Escape.

Edited by SCSweeney

the SE were more prone to the 12v battery problem.

Ive got a 2013 sel  with just over 30K  and its never seen the inside of the shop except for the occasional recall.

my commute is 15-18 miles each way  and my fuelly average is 44 with quite a few highway miles...

my current tank is 48...  you'll like the car,  back seat is a bit tight for adults.  but  lots of storage space in the back for sports gear and such

Thanks! I'm looking forward to saving some $. The geni was great and I will miss her in many ways. Turning the page ...

I should note ... this will be my first American car since college and first Ford ever. Kind of scary reading deep into this forum. Seems like there have been a lot of problems and particularly with the '13s. Hopefully I got one of the (many) good ones. My parents love their Fords and particularly their '14 Escape.

One thing to remember with forums like this, they attract people who have issues. People come to forums like these to vent and look for help, to see if others are having similar issues; because of this, pretty much every car forum makes that car look like it has a lot of problems. 

The biggest issue I've seen are those that have had battery issues; though that largely effected the C-Max SE, for cars that do not have MyFord Touch. Additionally, the recent recall with software update seems to have helped. As such, with an SEL, you are unlikely to have issues.

Beyond this, most who have owned the C-Max here have found it very reliable. Get the recalls performed and then otherwise just properly maintain the vehicle and it should be a great car.

Welcome & :congrats: SCSweeney.  We doubled our gas mileage from 22-23 (BMW 525) to 45+ with our C-Max (we got one of the magic ones :secret:) , could not be happier. 

And we more than halved our exhaust pollution in the process - everyone in our 'neighborhood' is breathing easier now !!!

Enjoy your 303A,

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

Thanks very much.

I am getting a 36 mo / 36k mi warranty through USAA for around $1440. There was a 48 / 48 for $2200 but that seemed like too big of a jump. Betting (hoping/speculating) that if there are issues they will crop before 75k mi total. The policy is very comprehensive, though never bought extended warranties before either.

Glad to hear 40 mpg won't be a stretch. I really have no sense of the % breakdown of city vs highway driving. Never tracked it and I do a lot of both.

Steady on!!   Forums like this attract people with cars who have issues.  :)

But it is more fun to say it my way!  :P

Yes, you are largely correct that it is the car that has issues. Though there are some cases where it is the person who has the issue (why can't I drive my C-Max 75 mph and get 50 mpg? It's broken!!!), and not the car. ;)

Hello

I have a 2013 SEL 302a package CMax. I'm getting 45.2 MPG lifetime average with 70% of my driving on the freeway at 70 mph. I'm getting 48.6 on current tank, but cold will soon be here and my average will drop to 43 + or - through the Ohio winter weather. Texas you shouldn't see much of a difference. I've noticed that 50 degrees and above milage is great. Below 50 and it starts to drop.

No problems so far mechanically 37,000 miles and still grinning. Did have some issues with one of these reprogram updates not taking properly. They had to reprogram my car completely from scratch to correct the problem.

Congrats on your new CMax. Hope my info is helpful.

• 3 months later...

Tomorrow I pick up the Cmax. 40k miles. Platinum White. 303A option package.

Any advice or suggestions or things to look out for?

Bought from Texas Direct Autos in Houston, which is where I live. Soon will get it to the dealer to get caught up on any warranty recall work. Carfax clean and I've seen the Ford service record. No battery replacement.

First used car I've bought. First hybrid. First four banger. Replacing my Genesis 4.6 .... so this should be interesting. If I can average 40 mpg or better I will cut my fuel costs in half. I drive 15 mi round trip to the office each day, but I do travel around town and with kids sports a fair amount. 15k or so mi per year is around my average.

This is my first post on this site and I also am a new owner of a used 2013 C-Max SEL.  Got it a few weeks ago on December 23, and am very happy with it so far.  Got it with 27 K km and it is in pristine condition. I got the 'Weather Tech' slush mats for it - we have messy winters here and they fit perfectly. I'd hate to see some of the melt water drain into the rear under-floor storage compartment. Also bought new snow tires for it as they also make a huge difference in our climate.  I chose the Kumho I'Zen KW31 as they were rated well but not expensive; they seem to be OK so far. I'm reading a lot of the posts on this site and will be eager to try out some of the gas saving tips once the weather warms up and we go on a longer trip.  Great site though!  Full of useful info.  

This was also my first Ford since I learned to drive many years ago; I've owned 3 Subaru's before this (all with manual transmission) so this automatic is taking some getting used to. Loving all the tech too.  

cheers,