Oil Changes

My 2012 Taurus SHO also has a huge shield under the engine. But fortunately someone was thinking ahead and used captive Dzus style fasteners, instead of loose Torx screws, on it. I suspect that as the EPA MPG requirements go up we will find more not so noticeable streamlining being installed on all cars.

Just performed an oil change @1400 miles using Mobil 1 5W-20.

The oil was an ugly greenish brown, looked pretty bad, but color isn't everything, still glad I did it. I like to do the first oil change at about 1000 to 1500 mles just to get any "Break-in" wear out of the crankcase.

Notes of interest:

15mm Plug.

8 - Torx screws (pretty large head) on shield - 5 minutes to removel, no big deal. See image 1.

Tight fit on the plug, use a short 15mm 3/8" ratchet or an open-end wrench. Interference with a bracket of some kind.

Shield:

Engine Shield

Plug interference:

Oil Plug Bracket

P.S. The Engine compartment was very clean thanks to the cover!

Edited by JayCo59

Please forgive me if this is a duplicate reply, My first post, and the one I just made seem to go in to cyber space.

Changing the oil with a pan cover is difficult when you don't have much room, as with my last auto, I changed my base plug to a valve, and made it much easier, if you can cut  an opening in the engine cover, just large enough to get to a valve you could use one, they can be found at:  http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com   Then make a cover to slide or turn over the hole when done. Another trick I used was a vacuum cleaner taped to the oil filler hole, when you remove the plug to change it,  the oil will not run out.

Jay - Your info and pictures are very helpful.  I assume the cover is relatively light, and easy to get back into place?

Robodog - I haven't found anything that says you need to drain the original oil early on, but there are some who believe this is a wise thing to do.  From what I recall reading about the oil change intervals (I'm working overseas now, and can't reference the owner's manual), there is an oil life monitor which will tell you when the time to change is approaching.  The oil life monitors in my Corvette and Escape actually are monitors - they can be accessed any time to tell how much oil life is remaining.  I don't think that is the case with the C-Max.  And from what I can see of the filter, with the cover in place, is that it should be easy to get at once the cover is removed. 

Wow, I was amazed at the oil drain valve.  I change oil on 4 cars and didn't realize that such a simple solution was available.  What size do you order for the C-max?  I can't see it on the website.  Is it a recessed drain plug or not?  I'd rather not pull off the cover just to find out.  Did you already install for the C-max?  I also found a 10% off coupon code.  Thanks

I am getting frustrated with the lack of information in the manual.  I mean, a 500 page manual and no mention of how to change the oil?  The capacity section says 4.5 quarts.  I assume that is the oil change with filter.  I took the cover off.  It was easy and the plug (I think it is the oil drain plug) does not appear to be recessed.  It is also odd to see that they recommend only Ford oil, but yet say using non synthetic is OK.  I intend to use 100% synthetic, but not Ford brand.  One last question:  is the oil life monitor a real monitor, or does it just count miles driven?  The Ford website says a 7500 mile oil change frequency, but the book says no more than 10,000 miles.  I will ask on the Ford website.  Thanks for any and all information.  Maybe they just expect you go give up and go to the dealer for oil changes, but I want to do it myself.  

No surprise the owners manual doesn't mention how to change the oil - if the oil life monitor is like it used to be it is dumb (only counts miles driven) also the 7500 mile change frequency is for gas only models, 10,000 miles for hybrids 

I agree, the manual is sorely lacking basic info for people who do the basic maintenance themselves. Ford neglected to even provide a diagram of the jacking points (there is another thread on that). Hopefully there will be a third party service manual for the C-max soon.

I assume the cover is relatively light, and easy to get back into place?

5 minutes to remove - 8 torx.  Cover is very light material easily removed and replaced.  You will need to have the car up on ramps so you can get under there and have a bit of room to move about.  Oil flter is very obvious after the cover is removed.  As I had mentioned the only issue was a bit of interference between a metal bracket

and the oil pan drain bolt, need to use a short ratchet.

Please forgive me if this is a duplicate reply, My first post, and the one I just made seem to go in to cyber space.

Changing the oil with a pan cover is difficult when you don't have much room, as with my last auto, I changed my base plug to a valve, and made it much easier, if you can cut  an opening in the engine cover, just large enough to get to a valve you could use one, they can be found at:  http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com   Then make a cover to slide or turn over the hole when done. Another trick I used was a vacuum cleaner taped to the oil filler hole, when you remove the plug to change it,  the oil will not run out.

This may not work well for our cars.  As I have mentioned there is only about 2 inches max of free space between where the drain bolt is located and a large metal beam.  This valve might just fit but it may be impossible to mount it and actually use it.  I'm just giving you a warning from what I saw during my oil change experience and what I saw on this website.

No surprise the owners manual doesn't mention how to change the oil - if the oil life monitor is like it used to be it is dumb (only counts miles driven) also the 7500 mile change frequency is for gas only models, 10,000 miles for hybrids 

My dealer stuck an oil change reminder on my car window that said 5000 miles, I read in the manual 10,000 miles.  I'm a fan of an early first oil change but I'm sure there are many points of view on that topic.  Personally I'll probably do once a year oil changes (after the inital 1400 mile change) which for me will be about 10,000 miles using Mobil 1 Synthetic and a high quality oil filter.

Edited by JayCo59

I e-mailed Ford about my oil change question.  The first one was by someone who didn't even bother to read my questions and just told me to read the manual.  The second one answered some of my questions.  They said refer to the dealer.  I wonder if dealers have started working on them yet. The second e-mail says that there is an oil life monitor and that the normal frequency for oil change is 10,000 miles and that the oil capacity for change is 4.5 quarts

According to the C-Max brochure (you can see it here), on the "C-Max Standard Features" page, under "Mechanical", it claims to be an "Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor ®".  What I would like to see is how much oil life is left, according to the computer.  My 2005 GMC Truck does this, and I like knowing that I'm at 5% oil life before heading out on a trip or something.

I found on the Ford website the the oil quality monitor is not really a sensor, but a computer algorithm that calculates when to change oil based on driving conditions:

The IOLM does not use oil quality sensors – it is entirely software-based and uses actual engine operating conditions to calculate the oil change interval by using an algorithm. This means the system must be reset after an oil change. Not doing so will result in a premature OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message.

Googled some links on "Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor" and got the following...

http://owner.ford.com/Storage/CommonImages/images/IOLM%20FAQ.pdf

http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?cid=1251733926439&pagename=Owner%2FPage%2FArticleDetail&recid=1251387049862&parentheadlineimageid=1234280151966&parentrightrecid=1239636411265

But I think this one comes closest to what you are looking for...

"If...you still don't trust the oil life monitor and want to use a shorter interval because, dang it, that's what you're comfortable with, you can do one of two things: 1) Keep tabs on the odometer the old-fashioned way and change it when your interval of choice comes up or; 2) Set your Explorer's oil life monitor to something LESS than 100% when you change your oil. That way, you'll still get the benefit of the oil life monitor as it tracks the severity of your driving, but you'll have control over the maximum interval."

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2011/10/2012-ford-explorer-xlt-ecoboost-oil-change-interval.html

Hmmn, interesting...check out this discussion on IOLM's effectiveness:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37499

"Why the EcoBoost engine was so clean

The comparative lack of engine sludge/grime indicates that the engine’s PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system and the recommended Motorcraft 5W-30 synthetic blend motor oil – available off the shelf – worked in harmony to contribute to clean engine operation.

The PCV system essentially “recycles” crankcase gases back into the intake for reburning, which contributes to improved fuel economy and lower emissions.

In terms of oil consumption, the 2011 F-150 EcoBoost has a 10,000-mile oil change interval and includes an intelligent oil life monitor (IOLM). The IOLM uses actual engine and vehicle operating conditions to more precisely calculate anticipated service intervals, depending on vehicle operating conditions, as follows:

• Up to 10,000 miles: normal commuting with highway driving
  • 5,000 to 7,500 miles: trailer tow/high-load driving
  • 3,000 to 5,000 miles: short-trip usage, extreme temperatures

Instead of using a predetermined interval schedule (either by time or mileage), the IOLM tells customers, based on their driving habits and engine operating conditions, when to change the oil through simple communications in the message center."

Page 359 of Owners Guide:

"C-MAX full hybrid vehicles are equipped with an information display which indicates the proper oil change service interval; the interval is up to one year or 10000 miles (16000 kilometers). When ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED appears in the information display, it’s time for an oil change; the oil change must be done within two weeks or 500 miles (800 kilometers) of the ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message appearing."

"Synthetic oil and the IOLM

Ford engines have been tested using Motorcraft® Synthetic Blended Oils. If you use synthetic oil, it must meet Ford specifications for motor oil and the specific oil weight as indicated in your Owner’s Guide. Ford still recommends using the oil change service intervals as indicated by the IOLM."

from http://support.ford.com/maintenance/when-to-change-oil#reload

So should we use synthetic oil with the C-Max?

Use of synthetic or synthetic blend motor oil is not mandatory. Engine oil need only meet the

requirements of Ford specification WSS-M2C945-A, SAE 5W-20, GF5, and display the API

Certification Mark.

Your engine has been designed to be used with Ford engine oil, which gives a fuel economy

benefit while maintaining the durability of your engine.

Using oils other than the one specified can result in longer engine cranking periods, reduced

engine performance, reduced fuel economy and increased emission levels.

Above from page 349 of downloaded Owners Manual.