Oil Changes

You're probably aware that oil does not degrade suddenly; it's a long slow accumulation of dirt and degradation of additives tha tkills oil. In that spirit, I'd want to know the oil change reset procedure before I left... see if you get the "reset in progress" message as a test.

Have fun,

Frank

The 2013 C-MAX is offered in a hybrid or plug in electric model. The gasoline engine will require service when the CHANGE OIL light comes on. Follow these steps to reset this light:

1. Press the start/stop button once (do not start the engine).

2. Press both the accelerator and brake pedals at the same time.

3. Keep both pedals fully pressed.

4. After three seconds, the Service: Oil reset in prog. message will be displayed.

5. After 25 seconds, the Service: Oil reset complete message will be displayed.

6. Release both the accelerator and brake pedals.

7. The Service: Oil reset complete message will no longer be displayed.

8. Turn the ignition off and start the engine to verify the indicator has been reset.

You're probably aware that oil does not degrade suddenly; it's a long slow accumulation of dirt and degradation of additives tha tkills oil. In that spirit, I'd want to know the oil change reset procedure before I left... see if you get the "reset in progress" message as a test.

Have fun,

Frank

The 2013 C-MAX is offered in a hybrid or plug in electric model. The gasoline engine will require service when the CHANGE OIL light comes on. Follow these steps to reset this light:

1. Press the start/stop button once (do not start the engine).

2. Press both the accelerator and brake pedals at the same time.

3. Keep both pedals fully pressed.

4. After three seconds, the Service: Oil reset in prog. message will be displayed.

5. After 25 seconds, the Service: Oil reset complete message will be displayed.

6. Release both the accelerator and brake pedals.

7. The Service: Oil reset complete message will no longer be displayed.

8. Turn the ignition off and start the engine to verify the indicator has been reset.

Our dealer didn't reset after our free change.

The "Change Engine Oil Soon" message came on at 10,000 miles during one of our 675 mile trips, I reset at the next stop.

The car had been a little over 3088 miles since the free change.

The "reset in progress" did display both times I've done a reset, I didn't reset the first time I changed the oil.

wab

The dealer told me that they did it, but I also did a reset before leaving the dealer.  I didn't exactly feel confident about it when I finished.  I would like a screen to show remaining life.

Yeah - for 19 years my GM cars have always shown oil life remaining as a percentage, and someone wrote in earlier that the percentage remaining is available with a FoMoCo scanner, but it just isn't visible to owners without the high end dealer scanner.  With all the other info available to us on various dash readouts and screens, it just doesn't make sense to me to hide this info...I can't figure it out.

• 1 month later...

Oil has a longer use period however I did not like the smell or look of fords oil after just 600 miles. I had to drop the cover very careful not to over tighten while replacing the shield and I discovered that the oil looked dark and broken down as if it where over a year of hard driving.

If you look at your dip stick and don't like what you see and smell then change it with an up grade to something better. 10, 000 miles is too long in my opinion but the engineers are scratching their heads with that one. I'd rather let other people experience the truth while I change every 5K. Once I see with my own two eyes then I'll let it ride to ten.

I just turned 10,000 miles this week (now at 10,059) and EV miles shows 5,120 miles…but still no display re "change oil soon, or now." Oil has not been changed, and build date was early January. Is the system waiting until the ICE reaches 5,000 miles, (now has 10,059 minus 5,120 = 4,939) ??? Or do you think there is an issue? Never been reset (to my knowledge).

I have 13,000+ miles and last week a message appears as soon as we turn the car on, saying "Oil change required."  Was in the dealer to day for something else and they reset it (made it go away).  Service guy wasn't sure if it came on because of time (12 months) or some other reason. 

When it comes on again (hopefully not for another 12 months), I will try the instructions that fbov has provided.  It seems odd that the owner is given instructions on how to reset the message.

I have 13,000+ miles and last week a message appears as soon as we turn the car on, saying "Oil change required."  Was in the dealer to day for something else and they reset it (made it go away).  Service guy wasn't sure if it came on because of time (12 months) or some other reason. 

When it comes on again (hopefully not for another 12 months), I will try the instructions that fbov has provided.  It seems odd that the owner is given instructions on how to reset the message.

Why?  Some folks perform their own oil changes.

We only have 5000 miles on our C-Max and have had two old changes in the past year.  We got the "oil change required" message last week and followed wab's instructions to get rid of the message.  I think customers are given the info. because some times technicians forget to re-set it and some people do their own oil changes.

That's from the owners manual. But consider that the Energi could do that whole distance without any significant use of the ICE, it's not that impressive. Ford is probably guessing that around 50% of Energi miles will be done in EV mode, so they will need oil changes half as often. That 50% number is pretty close to my actual usage, and I seem to be about the middle of range based on forum posts and Fuelly entries.

After 5,000 miles, around 50% of our non-Energi C-Max Hybrid is in EV mode

today's engines are designed and machined work such tight tolerances there are no metal shavings or debris in them at breakin. they couldn't work properly if they did have these. this is not a 1960s car that Joe Smoe overhauls/rebuilds in his backyard.

this has been true for at least 5-10 years.

at least for the big auto makers and high performance cars.

Our other car is a Buick Lacrosse e-Assist (mild hybrid with 2.4L engine).  It uses a cartridge style oil filter - there is no can around the filter element - it drops into a machined recess in the block and then there is a re-usable cap that is installed over it to seal it in and retain it.  At the first oil change, I found a very sizable aluminum shaving in the filter pleats.  My guess is it was deposited there within the first few minutes of engine operation.  So, while I agree engines in new cars are more pristine than they were in new cars in the 60s, I think there is still some machining debris that will be removed with the first oil change.  You could reason that, while I found a metal shaving in the filter, that is not a cause of concern, because...after all...I did find it in the filter.  I'm sure the oil filters in our cars would filter out any visible contaminants; my area of concern is, is there a lot of debris in a new engine that is smaller than what the oil filter will catch...AND...will that very small size debris do any harm?  I don't have an answer for that.

• 1 year later...

Let it go until your car tells you to change it.  Don't put synthetic oil (Mobile 1) into it until 10,000 miles so the engine has plenty of time to break in.  If you do ti too early, it will never break in properly and may develop high oil usage problems in the future.  I plan on changing it to Mobile 1 at my first oil change somewhere around 10K miles.  

That's not true. Many, many cars come straight from the factory filled with synthetic oil. My 2003 BMW 330 Ci came filled with BMW synthetic and never used a drop of oil in 75,000+ miles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I checked my oil with 10Kmi. on it using Mobil 1 0-30W and it is at the middle of hash mark. Doesn't appear to be using any oil with over 103Kmi on MADMAX. I don't think I have more than 5-6k on the ICE.  :)

Paul

Edited by ptjones

I checked my oil with 10Kmi. on it using Mobil 1 0-30W and it is at the middle of hash mark. Doesn't appear to be using any oil with over 103Kmi on MADMAX. I don't think I have more than 5-6k on the ICE.  :)

Paul

Just wondering why you are using 0-30W and not the 0-20W as stated in the manual?