MFT update to v3.8 has been released

Granted we can install 3.8 at home (which I can certainly do).  But that's not the point.  If owner.ford does not show this update, how can we be sure other future updates / FSA will be listed for other modules?  What about those owners who aren't members of a forum and rely on owner.ford for notification of updates (not safety recalls) that are covered under warranty.  

It's clear that even the dealers aren't aware of the 3.8 update that owners are entitled to under warranty. :)  We should not have to go to a dealer and "argue" with the dealer or tell the dealer to call technical support. ;)   

What's even more bothersome is the lack of Ford's response via the Ford reps on this site with updates on why 3.8 doesn't show up and when it will show up.   I've got less than 2 years until I reach 5 years of ownership at which time IIRC the extended warranty on the APIM module and software expires.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

Granted we can install 3.8 at home (which I can certainly do).  But that's not the point.  If owner.ford does not show this update, how can we be sure other future updates / FSA will be listed for other modules?  What about those owners who aren't members of a forum and rely on owner.ford for notification of updates (not safety recalls) that are covered under warranty.  

It's clear that even the dealers aren't aware of the 3.8 update that owners are entitled to under warranty. :)  We should not have to go to a dealer and "argue" with the dealer or tell the dealer to call technical support. ;)   

What's even more bothersome is the lack of Ford's response via the Ford reps on this site with updates on why 3.8 doesn't show up and when it will show up.   I've got less than 2 years until I reach 5 years of ownership at which time IIRC the extended warranty on the APIM module and software expires.

---

I agree.  It would be good to understand why some don't see the update.  I conjecture it is because not all my recalls aren't applied.  Not sure.

Had a problem uploading the sync xml file to owner.ford.com I think the problem was the firefox browser (mac).

When I switched to Google chrome it worked and said my sync was up to date with 3.8 version. Success!

Rebecca, do you know what the difference is between Rev1 and Rev2 of 3.8 sync?  Bug fixes?

This is where I'm stuck currently.... Chrome, Firefox, MS IE all fail the xml file upload. 

In addition to the Siri eyes and China destinations update items was there anything else added in ver 3.8?   

Edited by Louder North

If Chrome didn't work for the upload I was going to try running the vehicle diagnostics and see if that would

feed the sync version into the Ford website.  If you try that let us know if it works.

I used the update on my 2013 CMAX. Worked fine. After the update use the Vehicle health report and it showed the new version.

I live in Canada and that option (Vehicle Health Report) is not available to me. I did try though ( :) ) but that voice command is not recognized. I was told by Rebecca (Ford IVT rep) that it would have to be done at the dealer when I bring it in for the next service interval.

I live in Canada and that option (Vehicle Health Report) is not available to me. I did try though ( :) ) but that voice command is not recognized. I was told by Rebecca (Ford IVT rep) that it would have to be done at the dealer when I bring it in for the next service interval.

Vehicle Health Report is a menu option on my 2013 c-max MFT screen.

• 1 month later...

Wow!  Ford seems just not interested in keeping their software up-to-date it would seem.

I recommend the DIY approach, although the update is perhaps not important enough to bother.  (I did it.)

The really, really, really annoying thing is that the Ford rep (Rebecca or whomever) said, in this thread, send her the VIN number and she would check and find out what's going on (viz. some VIN's get the update officially while others don't).  Still no response.   :angry2:

Yea its getting kind of annoying.  I read somewhere that there was some issue that they were waiting for Apple to fix.  I don't know if there was a correlation to 3.8 but I wonder if Ford just pulled things until Apple releases there next IOS rev.

I just wish Ford would give a straight up answer.  I can't believe its an issue with their website and VINs.

Wow!  Ford seems just not interested in keeping their software up-to-date it would seem.

I recommend the DIY approach, although the update is perhaps not important enough to bother.  (I did it.)

The point is not how it is done or whether it's worth it.  The point is I want assurance from Ford that if I am entitled to an upgrade or other item from an extended warranty or otherwise that such shows up on owner.ford.com as a Field Service Action or Sync update.  

I'll say it again in bold   "What's even more bothersome is the lack of Ford's response via the Ford reps on this site with updates on why 3.8 doesn't show up and when it will show up.   I've got less than 2 years until I reach 5 years of ownership at which time IIRC the extended warranty on the APIM module and software expires."

I sent my VIN to the Ford Service rep Rebecca on Oct. 21, 2015 with an acknowledgement the next day.  That's over four months ago and have yet to hear anything.  Quite frankly, that's poor customer service.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone able to get this to work on a Mac? 

I keep getting a "Bad installation file error" when I try to install it. 

I've formatted my usb thumb drive as FAT32, downloaded the EA5T-14D544-AD.zip file, unzipped it, copied the folder contents to my thumb drive, but then it won't install. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks. 

Ah, I realized what happened:

The files unzipped like "SyncMyRide\EA5T-14D546-AGB.cab", following the Windows directory convention.

So, I just created a SyncMyRide folder, moved all of the files with that as the prefix into this folder, and edited the names to remove "SyncMyRide\", and it worked like a charm!

Thanks!

Edited by PullingMussels

• 3 weeks later...

My car has been one of the ones which doesn't "see" the update via the website.

So I took my car in to the dealership to get routine service and asked them to do the upgrade while it was there.  They simply re-installed 3.7.   When I picked up the car, I let them know that they re-installed the version of system that was already in there.  They weren't sure what I meant.

The dealership thought 3.7 was the latest version.  I showed them the info about 3.8 and they scheduled another appointment for me (which in and of itself is a major hassle).

I went back in and they tried again.

Nope, reinstalled 3.7.

So they tried a different way, nope - still 3.7.

They called Ford and worked with Ford for an hour or so, and Ford sent them some detailed instructions of a "special" procedure that was designed to fix it.

They were trying that "special" procedure, and my PCM died.

Now my car is completely 100% bricked.  A $38k paperweight.  They can't get any communication working with the PCM at all.

We'll see what happens.

My car has been one of the ones which doesn't "see" the update via the website.

So I took my car in to the dealership to get routine service and asked them to do the upgrade while it was there.  They simply re-installed 3.7.   When I picked up the car, I let them know that they re-installed the version of system that was already in there.  They weren't sure what I meant.

The dealership thought 3.7 was the latest version.  I showed them the info about 3.8 and they scheduled another appointment for me (which in and of itself is a major hassle).

I went back in and they tried again.

Nope, reinstalled 3.7.

So they tried a different way, nope - still 3.7.

They called Ford and worked with Ford for an hour or so, and Ford sent them some detailed instructions of a "special" procedure that was designed to fix it.

They were trying that "special" procedure, and my PCM died.

Now my car is completely 100% bricked.  A $38k paperweight.  They can't get any communication working with the PCM at all.

We'll see what happens.

Nice.

Sounds like your dealership is about as bright as mine, but I didn't try fighting them that much to actually get anything done because it looked like a losing cause.

I just used the install someone else posted and after about an hour of various updating it went through it finally finished and I was on 3.8.  Never showed as an option on Ford's website and I've yet to find any way to report it to Ford.  And the dealer gave me the expected response of "yeah, it doesn't work." Which was the same response to the Vehicle Health Report not working.  Which I have managed to get closer to working on my own.  

Oh yeah, GPS as well. Except they told me on that one that *I* was wrong, there was nothing wrong with my GPS.  I've since gotten it working at least for now by pulling a couple fuses.

I am so fed up with dealers.

Good luck!