MFT update to v3.8 has been released

I'm so glad I came across this forum when doing some Google searches. I have had so many issues with MyFord Touch and I'm really upset that Ford did not make an option for people to upgrade to Sync 3. I was trying to search for a way to upgrade my stereo to an aftermarket stereo with CarPlay, how much that would cost, and if it would better just to sell my car and ditch Ford all together. For some reason all my Ford Owner stuff was disconnected. I had to re-setup my account. After all of that, the website says "Gen2 - V3.6.2" and "Your SYNC is up-to-date!" This is just another item added to my list of things that has gone wrong since I decided to give Ford a try. I sent a PM to Rebecca hoping that she can get it fixed.

In the FWIW column...

I went looking when this first came out, and stopped when I needed a USB drive. I clearly was eligible for the update. Now, it says I'm fine as of October, 2013, with 3.6.2. I suspect Ford has just fixed a support headache...

Now, I will note that Porter's "birthday" was October 1, 2012, so we've recently left B2B warranty land, if that matters.

Frank, who now has an empty 4GB thumb drive...

I'm so glad I came across this forum when doing some Google searches. I have had so many issues with MyFord Touch and I'm really upset that Ford did not make an option for people to upgrade to Sync 3. I was trying to search for a way to upgrade my stereo to an aftermarket stereo with CarPlay, how much that would cost, and if it would better just to sell my car and ditch Ford all together. For some reason all my Ford Owner stuff was disconnected. I had to re-setup my account. After all of that, the website says "Gen2 - V3.6.2" and "Your SYNC is up-to-date!" This is just another item added to my list of things that has gone wrong since I decided to give Ford a try. I sent a PM to Rebecca hoping that she can get it fixed.

I wish the process was smoother too.  It is far from perfect but this is a good example of how additional features can give Ford a bad name.   If Ford did not offer an upgrade path then there would be no issue.  Because there is and it is not working correctly it is looked upon as a big negative.  They are not given much credit for offering an upgrade path. 

I have never had a car that offered an upgrade path.  My last car was made by Toyota and is highly rated.  I did have my share of issues with it but it was a good car.   i think many of the new head units in the new Toyota's are still non-upgradable units.  I could be wrong here but I don't think it is a standard feature.  My Chevy truck is the same way.   This stereo blows the doors off of both these systems. 

I hope you don't think I am attaching your post.  You have a right to have it work correctly.   Just showing another way to look at this.

In the FWIW column...

I went looking when this first came out, and stopped when I needed a USB drive. I clearly was eligible for the update. Now, it says I'm fine as of October, 2013, with 3.6.2. I suspect Ford has just fixed a support headache...

Now, I will note that Porter's "birthday" was October 1, 2012, so we've recently left B2B warranty land, if that matters.

So maybe there is problems with the update and Ford turned it off for everyone until it is fixed.  Or is anyone still seeing it as available?

Hey guys, 

The update was not taken down, but some customers are unable to download it. We are still investigating individual VINs for why this is happening. If you've already sent me your VIN, please sit tight. For those of you that are not seeing the 3.8 update and have not PMed me your VIN yet, please do so and I'll send it to my support. :)

Rebecca

Edited by FordIVTteam

If the sync bothers you that much, I'd suggest trading rather than trying to swap out the MFT. Ford designed the car around that MFT.

In the FWIW column...

I think it is an issue with programming on the Ford Owner site. I saw an update on the Ford Owner site at one time and didn't download it and later it had disappeared -- so my MFT was stuck on version 3.5. It almost sounds like, at least what may be happening, is if you go to the Ford Owner site and don't download an available MFT update (likely even if you didn't see it), that the update goes away. It may even give you a week or two but, at some point, the update "times out". I can't say this for certain, but it would explain why a couple of us saw different updates at one point, only later to have the update disappear.

Thank you Rebecca. I appreciate your update. I am glad we are not forgotten. I giveb you and Ford a lot of credit for not only reading this forum but helping us solve issues in a very neat car!

Rebecca, I'm happy at 3.6.2, so I won't add to your workload. Take care of the folks for whom this matters.

Frank

You both are too sweet! Thanks for making my day.   :thumbsup: 

Rebecca

Edited by FordIVTteam

Wouldn't it be easier instead of submitting our Vin# or waiting for the Ford servers 'glitch', instead get a link on here to download? I bet people on here would be willing to host a link. :)

For those that are interested, this post is where I got the information for the download to update my car to v3.8. I risked it because I figured it would be a long wait before Ford fixed it, and the fact that several people claimed to have used it already to successfully update. Rebecca (our Ford rep) recommends against it but, otoh, I've had the update working in my car for a couple of weeks now....

For those that are interested, this post is where I got the information for the download to update my car to v3.8. I risked it because I figured it would be a long wait before Ford fixed it, and the fact that several people claimed to have used it already to successfully update. Rebecca (our Ford rep) recommends against it but, otoh, I've had the update working in my car for a couple of weeks now....

Glad it is working for you but how do you know the Fusion download is the same as for C-Max?

Rebecca is wonderful. She suggested taking my vehicle in. I was also contacted by Ford Motor Company, on a separate tech issue with the site, and they advised me that the update was not showing in my particular situation because of two recent recalls that needed to be addressed. I took my car in, got the recalls taken care of, and my SYNC is now updated to 3.8. I'm crossing my fingers this makes it work much better.

My only concern now is that 911 Assist is no longer an option in the 3.8 interface.

I wish the process was smoother too. It is far from perfect but this is a good example of how additional features can give Ford a bad name. If Ford did not offer an upgrade path then there would be no issue. Because there is and it is not working correctly it is looked upon as a big negative. They are not given much credit for offering an upgrade path.

I have never had a car that offered an upgrade path. My last car was made by Toyota and is highly rated. I did have my share of issues with it but it was a good car. i think many of the new head units in the new Toyota's are still non-upgradable units. I could be wrong here but I don't think it is a standard feature. My Chevy truck is the same way. This stereo blows the doors off of both these systems.

I hope you don't think I am attaching your post. You have a right to have it work correctly. Just showing another way to look at this.

I don't think that at all. You are completely correct that no one else offers an upgrade path. However, SYNC is known as one of the number one issues with Ford vehicles and is a huge driver for dissatisfaction with their vehicles. You can search online and almost anytime SYNC is mentioned, it's almost always negative. I would think that Ford would want to offer some kind of upgrade path since SYNC has this reputation in the auto industry.

Glad it is working for you but how do you know the Fusion download is the same as for C-Max?

To start with, my recollection is that one of the people there had used the update successfully on his C-Max. Beyond that, these types of updates do quite a few checks before installing, basically to keep mistakes from happening, that ensure that the update is for that unit and that the installation files are not corrupted (or have been tampered with). As for how I know now, not only does my MFT work well, including the hybrid specific screens, but also the Ford Owner site shows that I'm running the correct version (though, it could be easily argued the Ford Owner site isn't dependable, or people would be showing they have updates available).

swonder why the Fusion has an update that you can download but not CMAX. If you do the Fusion update will it show in your My Ford site? If it goes sideways are you stuck or will Ford tech help you out. Seems it is taking a long long time for the update even though Ford has said my vin neds the update.

swonder why the Fusion has an update that you can download but not CMAX. If you do the Fusion update will it show in your My Ford site? If it goes sideways are you stuck or will Ford tech help you out. Seems it is taking a long long time for the update even though Ford has said my vin neds the update.

It's not that the Fusion has an update you can download, it is that one of the Fusion Hybrid owners who showed the update downloaded the file onto an Internet hosting site, then made the file available on the Fusion Hybrid forum for those that weren't showing the update available. I'll agree with Rebecca that there is risk in using someone's copy of a file and that it is better not to do it.

In my case, since I was still on 3.5 and not showing an update to even 3.6, I decided to take the risk; I saw others on the forum had success doing it and decided it was worth the risk for me (which many will still see as stupid). The upgrade took a long time -- particularly one update that seems to not move for 20 minutes or so -- but successfully completed and has been working perfectly. When the upgrade is finished, it creates a file that you load back onto the Ford Owner site to show you performed the update; after uploading the file the Ford Owner site showed that I had upgraded to v3.8.