MFT update to v3.8 has been released

I went to my local Ford dealership today in an attempt to have the upgrade completed for my 2013 C-Max with ~55K miles (Per the Ford IVT Team's recommendation) and they stated that the extended MFT warranty only covers the APIM (Accessory Interface Protocol Module) and I'd have to front $140 to have the upgrade completed...Needless to say I didn't get it done.

Ford IVT team has been PMed, hopefully they can shed some light on this. Doesn't look like good news though.

Hey kevbot13, 

I just responded to your PM, but I'd also like to post this information for everyone else. Here's a little snip-it of the 12M02 Extended Warranty Coverage letter: 

What will Ford and your dealer do?
In the future, if you experience any of the concerns below, and your vehicle is within the indicated time limitations, Ford Motor Company has authorized your dealer to repair your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor).
  • You need dealer assistance to install software updates from support.ford.com
  • Your vehicle’s SYNC with MyFord Touch® exhibits symptoms which your dealer determines can be repaired by upgrading the APIM software
  • Your vehicle’s SYNC with MyFord Touch® exhibits symptoms which your dealer determines can be repaired by replacing the APIM

Vehicles covered by this program are: 2011-2014 MY vehicles equipped with MyFord/MyLincoln Touch.

If anyone else is being charged by your dealership, please let me know. 

Rebecca

Good news!

Just tried owner.ford.com this morning and it finally said I had an update available.

Was able to download this file Gen2v38build15128updatepackageNARev2.zip (600.5mb)

Note: The file I downloaded a few weeks ago from the Fusion website was Rev1.

Think I will skip installing this one unless I find out the difference.

Edited by homestead

Good news!

Just tried owner.ford.com this morning and it finally said I had an update available.

Was able to download this file Gen2v38build15128updatepackageNARev2.zip (600.5mb)

Note: The file I downloaded a few weeks ago from the Fusion website was Rev1.

Think I will skip installing this one unless I find out the difference.

Well, I just checked, and the site still shows my C-Max is up-to-date at 3.6.  :-(

Can we please get some info, Ford, about what's going on????

Had a problem uploading the sync xml file to owner.ford.com I think the problem was the firefox browser (mac).

When I switched to Google chrome it worked and said my sync was up to date with 3.8 version. Success!

Rebecca, do you know what the difference is between Rev1 and Rev2 of 3.8 sync?  Bug fixes?

There's no difference in the update files. It's just how they named it since they added it to the site after it was originally released. 

Well, I just checked, and the site still shows my C-Max is up-to-date at 3.6.  :-(

Can we please get some info, Ford, about what's going on????

My support is still working hard to get this resolved, Bill. Sit tight! 

Rebecca

Looks like Ford is finally going to release 3.8 for everyone!

Ford on Thursday announced the Siri Eyes-Free update, noting that the software is available for more than 5 million Sync-equipped vehicles dating back to 2011. With a connected iPhone in the car, Siri Eyes-Free will work with the Ford Sync software to help drivers make and receive phone calls, listen to music, get driving directions and check calendar appointments via voice commands.

http://www.cnet.com/news/ford-sync-car-owners-to-get-apples-siri-eyes-free/

Why not use the front door, now that it's open?

Go to owner.ford.com, log in, or register (need your VIN)

Click on "Sync & How To's" at the top.

When that opens, click "Sync" then "software updates"

I see 6 articles, the last, "get the latest software update"

In the article, click the link for "Check for updates"

I already downloaded it, so from here on, I get the "Confirm update" screens you see that allow you to complete the update by notifying Ford (via the thumb drive).

Have fun,

Frank

Edited by fbov

I had an interesting result... my installation failed. At least the car told me it failed, right down to the error message, but I know better.

The trick is that I think I started the installation twice. How is a good question. All the messages at the start showed up twice, but of course, a second update would not find the correct target software, so the closing messages include a "failure" set. Health Report comes back fine...

In case anyone else gets a failure message!

Have fun,

Frank

I had an interesting result... my installation failed. At least the car told me it failed, right down to the error message, but I know better.

The trick is that I think I started the installation twice. How is a good question. All the messages at the start showed up twice, but of course, a second update would not find the correct target software, so the closing messages include a "failure" set. Health Report comes back fine...

In case anyone else gets a failure message!

Have fun,

Frank

Maybe two files on the USB stick?

That is strange on your install. Mine installed no problem....

BUT the update didnt' make any difference. This morning it started out good right on GPS target this morning, then after about 5-6 miles on the hiway, it lost it position by maybe 1/4 mile or a little less, the under/overpasses were not even with the car on the screen, showed me running on a parallel road at times, not the hiway.. :(

That is strange on your install. Mine installed no problem....

BUT the update didnt' make any difference. This morning it started out good right on GPS target this morning, then after about 5-6 miles on the hiway, it lost it position by maybe 1/4 mile or a little less, the under/overpasses were not even with the car on the screen, showed me running on a parallel road at times, not the hiway.. :(

Yep, that's the signature of a bad GPS Module.  Get it replaced.

I wasn't worried about the update... I mention it so anyone else with a similar experience will feel similarly at ease with the result.  

"TSB14-0037 R/R GPSM" was the service action listed for my GPS module replacement. Here's hoping it's covered, WNY; could be part of 12M04 recall extension on MFT if you're past 36K.  

HAve fun,

Frank

i downloaded the update from the Ford Owner site yesterday. The directions spoke about unzipping the file, but I believe it downloaded unzipped already. When I looked into the file structure, there seemed to be several zip files and it was unlcear to me which one to unzip. So I discarded that one and re-downloaded the file. I placed that on my flash drive and will try to install it later today when I have time. Pray for me.

i downloaded the update from the Ford Owner site yesterday. The directions spoke about unzipping the file, but I believe it downloaded unzipped already. When I looked into the file structure, there seemed to be several zip files and it was unlcear to me which one to unzip. So I discarded that one and re-downloaded the file. I placed that on my flash drive and will try to install it later today when I have time. Pray for me.

Mine came as a single zip file, that I unzipped to the flash drive.

It's time again to show the inadequacies of Ford.  It's 12/8/2015 and the Ford Owner's site still shows my Sync is up to date with V3.6.2.  It's nearly 2 months since this issue of not showing the V3.8 update on the Ford owners site was reported here and supposedly to Ford.   Read how committed Ford is in the snips below to keeping my car up-to-date. ;) I am "running the fastest, simplest, and best version of Sync."- Ford

I want to update my Sync with software that I can download from Ford's Sync site not from a site with a file posted by anyone nor waste my time going to a dealer.  My guess is that if tried to get the dealer to do the update, they wouldn't do it for free as there's likely nothing that shows the dealer that my car "needs" the update - it's not worth my time and energy pursuing with the dealer.  

BTW, I changed my preferred dealer in owners.Ford a second time recently and noticed that my selling dealer had also changed to the new preferred dealer (on the first change, the selling dealer stayed the same).   There no way I can see to edit the selling dealer as that apparently is / was  filled in by Ford when signing up initially with ones VIN. :)  :)  Oh well, that's "par" for Ford - but par vary seldom wins in golf or customer satisfaction surveys.

gallery_167_32_25734.png

med_gallery_167_32_10886.png