MFT update to v3.8 has been released

Update: Successfully installed the update and I'm now at 3.8.  BUT, I don't know if this was even worth it. It seems that in order to use Siri Eyes, you must have Sync 3. I don't think I have this and I'm really confused about trying to determine which system I have. I have a 2013 SEL w/o the navigation system.

About to reinstall my wallpapers and try to determine what I can do with this great 3.8 system.

It's time again to show the inadequacies of Ford.  It's 12/8/2015 and the Ford Owner's site still shows my Sync is up to date with V3.6.2.  It's nearly 2 months since this issue of not showing the V3.8 update on the Ford owners site was reported here and supposedly to Ford.   Read how committed Ford is in the snips below to keeping my car up-to-date. ;) I am "running the fastest, simplest, and best version of Sync."- Ford

I want to update my Sync with software that I can download from Ford's Sync site not from a site with a file posted by anyone nor waste my time going to a dealer.  My guess is that if tried to get the dealer to do the update, they wouldn't do it for free as there's likely nothing that shows the dealer that my car "needs" the update - it's not worth my time and energy pursuing with the dealer.  

BTW, I changed my preferred dealer in owners.Ford a second time recently and noticed that my selling dealer had also changed to the new preferred dealer (on the first change, the selling dealer stayed the same).   There no way I can see to edit the selling dealer as that apparently is / was  filled in by Ford when signing up initially with ones VIN. :)  :)  Oh well, that's "par" for Ford - but par vary seldom wins in golf or customer satisfaction surveys.

gallery_167_32_25734.png

med_gallery_167_32_10886.png

I'm not 100% sure but I believe why some don't have the upgrade is because they have outstanding recall notices.  I would be curious if you have an outstanding recall notice.

Update: Successfully installed the update and I'm now at 3.8.  BUT, I don't know if this was even worth it. It seems that in order to use Siri Eyes, you must have Sync 3. I don't think I have this and I'm really confused about trying to determine which system I have. I have a 2013 SEL w/o the navigation system.

About to reinstall my wallpapers and try to determine what I can do with this great 3.8 system.

Well, I don't have Sync 3 and Siri Eyes works for me.

To use it, you need to hold down the paddle a LONG time -- remember that a regular paddle press will invoke MFT.  Frankly, the few times I've tried it I have not been impressed (to me, MFT works more reliably and consistently than Siri does in this particular situation.  We had a riot of a time trying to get Siri to navigate because I thought it would be easier than trying to get MFT to do so.  Siri was about as hilarious as she can be, but not very helpful :>)

I have outstanding recall for emissions (hoping to get all the TSBs done at next oil change) and I was still offered the upgrade.

I did the 3.8 Gen 2 upgrade through Ford Owner site yesterday.  I had a second USB stick plugged in which caused a bit of consternation (so I guess when you do the upgrade be sure to only have the USB with the sync image plugged in and your map card if you have Nav).  

It upgraded fine in about 15-20 minutes..I was even able to use the key FOB to lock the car while engine was running (although the BCM seemed slow to respond to the lock command) and go run a quick errand inside a store..  I had to re-pair my phone and re-enable 911 Assist.

Figured it would be safe to ride around while the upgrade was happening since they keep the engine controls seperate from the "infotainment" computer.

I am having a problem uploading the XML file at the end of the process - I guess because I am using firefox on Linux - I browse for and select the XML file but then nothing happens.  This happened last time I updated MFT as well - Can't remember how I resolved it last time..maybe I borrowed a windows PC or the "reminder" Email had a different link in it.

Haven't really had a chance to investigate the new software yet, I see they reorganized some of the menus, added more support for different wireless/internet connection methods and changing tracks in audio from the steering controls seems faster.  Haven't tried nav yet.

Edited by jestevens

I have to say I am a bit disgusted on how long this is taking and no real status other than stay tuned.  It sort of reminds me of how long various stores are taking to tunr on ApplePay like Home Depot, CVS, and Target.

Reputations go downhill fast when a company cannot provide decent communication beyond hold on.  I can accept delays but I do not tolerate vagueness.

A couple comments.

The update file comes in a zip file. Compression is so integrated into Windows you may not have noticed the decompression step. The resulting files include a directory, which contains CAB and ZIP files. You want to leave these alone.

No issues with my update being recorded, but it wasn't as seamless as the update itself. As I recall, it completed, but didn't notify me until I tried a second time.

HAve fun,

Frank

Well, I don't have Sync 3 and Siri Eyes works for me.

To use it, you need to hold down the paddle a LONG time -- remember that a regular paddle press will invoke MFT.  Frankly, the few times I've tried it I have not been impressed (to me, MFT works more reliably and consistently than Siri does in this particular situation.  We had a riot of a time trying to get Siri to navigate because I thought it would be easier than trying to get MFT to do so.  Siri was about as hilarious as she can be, but not very helpful :>)

Thanks so much Kellytunes for the hint about holding the paddle down longer. It seems to need about 2 full seconds to activate Siri. Now it works

I have outstanding recall for emissions (hoping to get all the TSBs done at next oil change) and I was still offered the upgrade.

I did the 3.8 Gen 2 upgrade through Ford Owner site yesterday.  I had a second USB stick plugged in which caused a bit of consternation (so I guess when you do the upgrade be sure to only have the USB with the sync image plugged in and your map card if you have Nav).  

It upgraded fine in about 15-20 minutes..I was even able to use the key FOB to lock the car while engine was running (although the BCM seemed slow to respond to the lock command) and go run a quick errand inside a store..  I had to re-pair my phone and re-enable 911 Assist.

Figured it would be safe to ride around while the upgrade was happening since they keep the engine controls seperate from the "infotainment" computer.

I am having a problem uploading the XML file at the end of the process - I guess because I am using firefox on Linux - I browse for and select the XML file but then nothing happens.  This happened last time I updated MFT as well - Can't remember how I resolved it last time..maybe I borrowed a windows PC or the "reminder" Email had a different link in it.

Haven't really had a chance to investigate the new software yet, I see they reorganized some of the menus, added more support for different wireless/internet connection methods and changing tracks in audio from the steering controls seems faster.  Haven't tried nav yet.

I think the file was in a sub-directory on the flash drive to upload to the Ford Site. When you browse for it. 

I had to search for it. it was Sync_VIN#####.XML or something.

Yes, I selected the correct XML file but for whatever reason the code on the webpage didn't seem to do anything with the XML file after I selected it.  I was expecting the page to refresh or something to indicate the log file was received.  It just sat there at "Select File" as if that step wasn't done.  I'm going to ignore the problem for now. 

I went through all the screens in the new version and other than reorganizing a few buttons/menus I'm not sure there's any new functionality that is pertenent to my needs..Visually it all looks pretty much the same as the last release as far as I can tell.  Perhaps they improved support for some newer phones or phone features that don't apply in my situation - I don't use an iPhone so I guess I'm missing the big reason to update.  Still, if they are offering it for free why not..

I'll have to see if NAV response time is any faster next time I make a long trip.

My vehicle health report now shows that I have a brake system issue and it shows the wrong mileage until my next service.  I checked the brake fluid and it's fine, and no brake indicator lights on the dash so I'm assuming that it's a problem with the software that generates the report.  The last time I ran the report was after a 20 minute drive so I'm sure the engine was on long enough.

No way to really see the % oil life remaining without a scan tool but I think it can't be more than 200 miles until my next oil change at the dealer anyway.

As far as I know, it's mainly for Siri eyes for the iPhone.

Yes, I selected the correct XML file but for whatever reason the code on the webpage didn't seem to do anything with the XML file after I selected it.  I was expecting the page to refresh or something to indicate the log file was received.  It just sat there at "Select File" as if that step wasn't done.  I'm going to ignore the problem for now. 

I went through all the screens in the new version and other than reorganizing a few buttons/menus I'm not sure there's any new functionality that is pertenent to my needs..Visually it all looks pretty much the same as the last release as far as I can tell.  Perhaps they improved support for some newer phones or phone features that don't apply in my situation - I don't use an iPhone so I guess I'm missing the big reason to update.  Still, if they are offering it for free why not..

I'll have to see if NAV response time is any faster next time I make a long trip.

My vehicle health report now shows that I have a brake system issue and it shows the wrong mileage until my next service.  I checked the brake fluid and it's fine, and no brake indicator lights on the dash so I'm assuming that it's a problem with the software that generates the report.  The last time I ran the report was after a 20 minute drive so I'm sure the engine was on long enough.

No way to really see the % oil life remaining without a scan tool but I think it can't be more than 200 miles until my next oil change at the dealer anyway.

Yes, I selected the correct XML file but for whatever reason the code on the webpage didn't seem to do anything with the XML file after I selected it.  I was expecting the page to refresh or something to indicate the log file was received.  It just sat there at "Select File" as if that step wasn't done.   ...

I had the same result, but the update was received and I how show 3.8. Reporting is the one aspect that needs improvement.

Frank

It doesn't like Firefox, as I found out.  Use a different browser.

Are you guys all seeing updates on the owner page?  I dont yet and I dont see how I would be able to update XML file if the page is not ready to accept an update.

And yes I did pass my VIN along to Ford as a PM as a result of this thread!

Edited by zalusky

You can do vehicle health report using just a paired cell phone, no sync services required.  It appears to use your cell phone to dial an 800 number and transmit the vehicle data ala "modem" like an "old" dial up connection.  I guess it's possible they could be getting updated sync version info from the vehicle health report data but I don't know for sure.

The other feature I saw with the new update is that apparently now you can mute the spoken nav guidance.

Muting Nav is a good add!

Given the issues with confirmation, and at least one case of dealer resolution, it seems prudent, if you've done the update, to check back where you got it:

owner.ford.com > Sync & How To's > Check for software Updates.

I get an "You're up to date" message, with a recent "last update confirmed" date. If you don't, put it on the list of things the next time you're at the dealer. This is covered under 12M04 APIM warranty extension.

It may not make a difference to you, but a subsequent owner might be grateful.

Have fun,

Frank

You can do vehicle health report using just a paired cell phone, no sync services required.  It appears to use your cell phone to dial an 800 number and transmit the vehicle data ala "modem" like an "old" dial up connection.  I guess it's possible they could be getting updated sync version info from the vehicle health report data but I don't know for sure.

The other feature I saw with the new update is that apparently now you can mute the spoken nav guidance.

I think that 800 number is services. My phone dials a toll free number when I connect to services. Most of the C-Max came with 3 years services.

Edited by stevedebi

Does getting a vehicle health report require access to the sync services subscription or can you get one without subscribing?

Hi MichaelM, 

A subscription to SYNC Services is not required to run a Vehicle Health Report: https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-technology/myford-touch/vehicle-health-and-performance/how-to-run-a-vehicle-health-report-with-sync-with-myford-touch.html

Does anyone know if there is a voice command to mute nav?

I do like it on at times (because sometimes I want the warning) but other times it would be nice to turn it off but I don't want to hunt through menus to do so.  Just like "Cancel Route" it would be nice to have a "Mute Nav" or some such.

Hi Kelleytoons, 

Try "NAVIGATION VOICE GUIDANCE OFF".

Let me know if that works for you.

Whitney 

Hi Whitney from FordIVTeam,

Do you know when the version 3.8 will be available to us all?  Many seem to have the following issue, me included:  My owner.ford.com login (syncmyride.com redirect) still shows I'm "up to date" with 3.6.2.  Is there anything those of us experiencing this problem need to do or someone for us to call so we can get access to 3.8?  Thanks.

Mine also said it was up to date also at 3.6.2, but if you go into the "Sync and How To's" Section, and click on the "Check for software updates", mine said Ver. 3.8 was available for download. it didn't notify me or anything. so I d/l it and installed it.

Mine also said it was up to date also at 3.6.2, but if you go into the "Sync and How To's" Section, and click on the "Check for software updates", mine said Ver. 3.8 was available for download. it didn't notify me or anything. so I d/l it and installed it.

How do you see your up to date without clicking "Check for Software Updates"?  I do that and then it shows I am up to date.  Also if I click Full Sync History" and then all  available updates, it just takes me back to the main screen.