Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Rotors and Pads crap at 24K

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   reedmother

reedmother

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 48 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationVermont
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 15 October 2015 - 02:02 PM

My guy at the garage could not believe the state of my brakes.  The front is metal on metal.  It's a 2013 with 24K on it.  Need new rotors and pads all around.  This car is starting to get on my nerves.  The clock can't keep time, it has more recalls than ever, it stranded me twice.  I wonder what is next.....

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 ONLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 513 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUS
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:04 PM

That might be worth a second opinion or at least look at them yourself.  I have not read on this forum about anyone replacing the front brakes.  Most of the braking is done in the regeneration of the battery charge.

What is your lifetime brake score which is displayed after turning the key off ?  The score is the percent of braking taken care of by regeneration.

Here is a thread about the rear brakes but one conclusion is beware of being told you need brakes on a C-Max because they hardly wear.

http://fordcmaxhybri...ke-rotors-last/

If I just had them done, I would ask for the old parts to verify that they were needed.

And someone that really brakes hard all the time could wear them out quickly, but that would have to be pretty extreme.

Edited by obob, 15 October 2015 - 03:05 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 675 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • LocationVancouver, BC
  • Current Vehicle:2013 SEL

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:49 PM

Almost identical thread about three weeks ago that obob refers to. 

I'd go to Ford for a second opinion and/or maybe a warranty claim.

#4 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,312 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:58 PM

Given it's front brakes, and you live in Vermont, it could be traction control.

TC will apply brakes to stop wheel spin. If you're a lead-foot, you could be using the engine to burn up the brakes. Or it could be from driving up snowy hills... any time you're accustomed to using wheel spin, is a time the C-Max could be braking to stop it. I'm at 40K and the brakes look very good.

Have fun,

Frank

#5 OFFLINE   wab

wab

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 927 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Locationnorth texas
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL 303 with Glass Roof

Posted 15 October 2015 - 06:15 PM

A friend has to replace pads/rotors on his wife's car (even on a hybrid a few yrs ago)  every year, never more than 12K miles.

She parks in a multistory parking garage plus she's a left foot braker.

#6 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 354 posts
  • LocationDearborn, Michigan
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Model T

Posted 16 October 2015 - 01:09 PM

My guy at the garage could not believe the state of my brakes.  The front is metal on metal.  It's a 2013 with 24K on it.  Need new rotors and pads all around.  This car is starting to get on my nerves.  The clock can't keep time, it has more recalls than ever, it stranded me twice.  I wonder what is next.....

Did you work with your local Ford Dealer, or an independent mechanic, reedmother?

Meagan

#7 OFFLINE   cmax-nynj

cmax-nynj

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 118 posts
  • LocationNY, NJ, CT
  • Current Vehicle:SE

Posted 16 October 2015 - 02:17 PM

Did you buy your car used?  Maybe the car 240K on it with the odometer rolled back to 24K.  I suspect this is the case.

Edited by cmax-nynj, 16 October 2015 - 02:18 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 675 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 17 October 2015 - 06:09 PM

Did you buy your car used?  Maybe the car 240K on it with the odometer rolled back to 24K.  I suspect this is the case.

I think the OP would appreciate thoughtful responses based on the evidence at hand, rather than wild and improbable speculations.

Edited by Adrian_L, 17 October 2015 - 06:10 PM.

• djc likes this

#9 OFFLINE   cmax-nynj

cmax-nynj

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 118 posts
  • LocationNY, NJ, CT

Posted 17 October 2015 - 07:49 PM

Odometer rollback exists and my post was first trying to find out if the car was bought new or not.  In case the car was bought used, then the rotor/pad wears are suspiciously high for only 24K of use.   Investigations should follow about the previous owner and seller.  If the car were bought new then the above speculation can be ignored and focus on the mechanical aspect of the problem.  How is this response wild and unthoughtful?  

#10 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 675 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 17 October 2015 - 11:07 PM

First of all, you don't know that the car was purchased used.  The original post does not state this.

Second, you "suspect" the vehicle has done 240 thousand miles in two years.  That's 333 miles a day.  A day!--------highly improbable.  I drive 25 miles a day in the city and that takes me an hour.  Even if you drove 5 1/2  hours a day at 60 mph with no stops, you wouldn't cover 333 miles.

Third---it would be pretty obvious to the buyer of a car with 24,000 miles if the car has REALLY done 240,000 miles, don't you think?  Unless the buyer was a complete moron.  A car with 24k on the clock would, more or less, feel like a new car.  A car with 240,000 k would be pretty tatty, as we say in the UK.

#11 OFFLINE   cmax-nynj

cmax-nynj

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 118 posts
  • LocationNY, NJ, CT

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:08 PM

You didn't have to take '240K' literally and seriously.  The question is whether the mileage was rolled back in case the car was bought used.  Only the Topic starter can let us know and no one was asking this question.

#12 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 842 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:37 PM

The idea of the odometer is interesting in newer cars. It is not a mechanical system, how could it be "rolled back"?

Having said that, my 2002 civic had to get a new instrument cluster, and it turns out that when we swapped if for a used one, it had 40K less miles on it on the odo than the original - and it cannot be changed. But that is not rolling back, that is a complete replacement.  Makes me wonder if that would be true of the C-Max as well.

#13 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 494 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium, 2013 Focus Electric, my parents have a C-Max Energi

Posted 19 October 2015 - 06:50 PM

The idea of the odometer is interesting in newer cars. It is not a mechanical system, how could it be "rolled back"?

Having said that, my 2002 civic had to get a new instrument cluster, and it turns out that when we swapped if for a used one, it had 40K less miles on it on the odo than the original - and it cannot be changed. But that is not rolling back, that is a complete replacement.  Makes me wonder if that would be true of the C-Max as well.

My parents had a similar experience with a 2000 Chrysler 300M. It also needed a complete cluster replacement which caused the odometer to be changed. In their case, the odometer was increased. They got a piece of paper from the mechanic showing what the odometer was before & after. They kept the car until they bought the C-Max Energi. At that point it was very old & wasn't worth very much so the odometer discrepancy didn't matter much in the car's value.

I'm also very curious as to how an odometer would be rolled back on a new car like the C-Max.

#14 OFFLINE   wab

wab

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 927 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Locationnorth texas
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL 303 with Glass Roof

Posted 19 October 2015 - 07:50 PM

My parents had a similar experience with a 2000 Chrysler 300M. It also needed a complete cluster replacement which caused the odometer to be changed. In their case, the odometer was increased. They got a piece of paper from the mechanic showing what the odometer was before & after. They kept the car until they bought the C-Max Energi. At that point it was very old & wasn't worth very much so the odometer discrepancy didn't matter much in the car's value.

I'm also very curious as to how an odometer would be rolled back on a new car like the C-Max.

This email is from your bank, your personal info needs to be updated.

please click here to update your personal info.

408,000 hits on Google for "odometer rollback"

https://www.google.c...ype=&as_rights=

$69.00 buys the tool.

Welcome to the REAL world.

• obob likes this

#15 OFFLINE   cmax-nynj

cmax-nynj

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 118 posts
  • LocationNY, NJ, CT

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:06 PM

There are shady mechanics who charge a fee to roll back digital odometer.  It's a Federal crime but they can care less.

#16 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 675 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:16 AM

You know what?  If you're buying a car with 24,000 miles on the clock and (assuming you don't know a rotor from a drum) you don't have the car checked out by a mechanic, you deserve to be swindled.

I find all of this largely meaningless---for every member on the forum who has had, say,  a dead 12v battery you might as well suggest that the battery was swapped by the previous owner and is actually 10 years old!  Of course it "might" happen, but members are looking for educated and reasonable suggestions to help them. 

#17 OFFLINE   reedmother

reedmother

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 48 posts
  • LocationVermont
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:31 PM

HI guys - I neglected to check back in. Yes, I bought the car new, so we can forget all about rolling the odometer back.  Also, I did have 2 opinions about the brakes. First the dealer told me and they were going to do the work, but the warranty was up, so I took it to my cheaper, reliable guy in town.    He was dumbfounded by the state of the brakes. He did some more checking to see if some warranty somewhere would cover at least part of it, but no luck.  It's a mystery to me.  I'm not a big braker.  We live in a town in Vermont that has one stop light - and that's 8 miles from my home.....

#18 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 842 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:37 PM

HI guys - I neglected to check back in. Yes, I bought the car new, so we can forget all about rolling the odometer back.  Also, I did have 2 opinions about the brakes. First the dealer told me and they were going to do the work, but the warranty was up, so I took it to my cheaper, reliable guy in town.    He was dumbfounded by the state of the brakes. He did some more checking to see if some warranty somewhere would cover at least part of it, but no luck.  It's a mystery to me.  I'm not a big braker.  We live in a town in Vermont that has one stop light - and that's 8 miles from my home.....

Keep a close eye on the brakes. From my experience with Ford hybrids (I had an Escape Hybrid), the brakes last a lot longer than ICE cars. It is probable that some malfunction is causing the wear. I had my FEH for 80K with no brakes, and I'm at 21.5 on my C-Max Energi with no problems.

#19 OFFLINE   Louder North

Louder North

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 77 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationOttawa
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:12 PM

Reedmother - does your car stay in the driveway a lot? I ask because our previous car (a Subaru Outback) was used primarily on weekends and the brakes had be to replaced every 2-3 years.  My mechanic said it as my fault I didn't drive my car enough and the rotors rusted from not being used.   :sad:

#20 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,079 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:22 PM

At 122k miles my brakes look great! :)

Paul