How to Improve Winter MPG's

ptjones

Just a reminder to put Grill Covers on now that it is getting cold. High 30's this morning in Atlanta Area.  :)

Paul

Thinking of using pipe insulater foam as many have suggested. If you tuck it in the grill openings nice and tight so no glue or tape needed will this intrefere with the active grill shutters?

thanks for all the great ideas. with temp at 30 my mpg is down to 35. ouch!

NO! Just curious to see what happens...

Then plan a trip to Saranac Lake next month. A good -20F overnight cold soak ought to do it. Lots to do during the day, too; all the Olympic venues are still there. 

I'm actually curious how the "EV on cold start" behavior will change when there's no EV available. But not curious enough to leave the house when it's 10-below....

Have fun,

Frank

Thinking of using pipe insulater foam as many have suggested. If you tuck it in the grill openings nice and tight so no glue or tape needed will this intrefere with the active grill shutters?

Not that I notice.  I use insulation made for 1/2" pipe.  The insulation straddles the horizontal bars and is notched around the vertical pieces.  It stays in place by itself snuggly enough that the car wash has no effect.

Edited by Bill-N

Not that I notice.  I use insulation made for 1/2" pipe.  The insulation straddles the horizontal bars and is notched around the vertical pieces.  It stays in place by itself snuggly enough that the car wash has no effect.

Thanks. I cut it in several pieces usin the 1/2 inch squeezing them in each seperate opening. I don't think they will come out but afterward I worried about ruining the active shutter mechanaism preventing the from opening and stripping a gear.

• 3 weeks later...

Today it was 25*F going to work, the roads were icy so I drove carefully and got 52 mpg for the 7 mile trip.   :shift:  I usually get 44-47mpg for the uphill trip with warmer temps.  Remember you lose 2mpg for every 10*F drop it temp., so for 45*F drop you lose 9 mpg.   I started out with the garage at 54*F and I had the oil pan and block heaters on for 3 hrs.  WT was 114*F( 60*F is the max increase in temp.) and SOC was 44%. When I got to the shop WT was 177*F and SOC was 37% with 5-10 mph head wind. It is important to note that I have top, center and lower grills covered to minimize heat loss. So this time of year with temps so low all the grills need to be covered. :)

Paul

I just put my covers on today and will go for a ride tomorrow. It was about 22 degrees today and same prediction tomorrow.

Past few days have been mid to low 30s and sitting in traffic leaving customers sites I was getting pretty cold. Kept the heat on recirculate so it wasn't too bad.

Also found out I can grab lunch across the street and back all on EV (.6mi). My coworker can't stand the silence lol.

Outside temp this morning is -7.4 F.   C-max cabin is -6.3.  It will still be sub-zero when I head out; I'll try to remember to pay attention to EV behavior.  If car will insist on running ICE until battery is above 0, that seems to be an argument for using a cabin pre-heater along with - or even instead of  - a block heater.   Not to mention comfort.

I started the car at -2F ambient and -2F cab temps.  While still parked the engine started charging the battery almost immediately (up arrow on left display).  Within 2 miles bat had gone from low charge to near fully charged.  Engine continued to run with fully charged bat.

d.

Today at 22 mine did the same. Started right away after turning on. Climate system was already off

Same this this am at 14.

Grill covers seem to keep things a bit warmer today while moving. The heater keeps draining the temp.

I keep it on recirculate set to feet and face. Turn off the face when it starts to fog up (auto turn off recirculate) and set it back when it gets cleared up.

Today at 22 mine did the same. Started right away after turning on. Climate system was already off

Same this this am at 14.

Grill covers seem to keep things a bit warmer today while moving. The heater keeps draining the temp.

I keep it on recirculate set to feet and face. Turn off the face when it starts to fog up (auto turn off recirculate) and set it back when it gets cleared up.

Post picture of your Grill Covers. :)

Paul

Was away from the garage over the weekend so got a good dose of lousy mileage with winter starts and short trips.  After 200+ miles the average was, IIRC, 49.4 mpg.  Drove around all weekend making short (~1 mile) trips and after a few days it was down 5 mpg!  I had dropped tires to 30 psi because of ice everywhere - didn't help mileage I'm sure, but also had no trouble getting around!  Recirc is the way to go, or no heat at all on those very short trips.  Heated seats are a big plus.  With a heated steering wheel and a heated floor mat one would hardly need cabin heat at all!  My snowblower has heated hand grips and they really work but I haven't seen heated floor mats (nor have I searched, yet!).

Here's a quick shot of how mine look now.

attachicon.gifIMG_3803.JPG

I'm considering putting my license plate bracket back on and trimming the cover to go around it.

I find myself worrying constantly about the plate and covers falling off or someone taking it.

If you can I would use sheet metal screws to permanently secure Center Grill Cover on so you don't have to worry about it.  You could mount the plate on the inside of cover using top holes to have a more aerodynamic surface.  :)

Paul 

Edited by ptjones

Interesting ideas.

What's the best tool to cut that Lexan? Jigsaw metal blade?

OUCH! You are going to cut the Grill Cover? Wouldn't it be easier just to screw in four sheet metal screws, two on each end and forget about it? I did cut up one Grill Cover for member and wasn't that pretty. :sad: It just makes the Grill Cover flimsy. IMO

Paul

Edited by ptjones

OUCH! You are going to cut the Grill Cover? Wouldn't it be easier just to screw in four sheet metal screws, two on each end and forget about it? I did cut up one Grill Cover for member and wasn't that pretty. :sad: It just makes the Grill Cover flimsy. IMO

Paul

I'm not deciding anything just trying to get an understanding of level of effort for all options.

I'm opposed to putting any more holes into the bumper, but I don't want to destroy the cover either. (I have great respect for what you have done for this)

I've thought about using the upper license plate holes to attach through the opening in the gill some how using a strap or something but I'm not sure yet if that would work.

Edited by joshg678

I just used a jigsaw with a coarse blade and patience. And a sampler of screw-less fasteners. This replaced a bladder-based system (bicycle inner tube). 

Have fun,

Frank

Looks like you solved the cooling problem, but not sure about the aerodynamic one. :)   I assume you still have the Lower Grill Cover on.

Paul

I'm not deciding anything just trying to get an understanding of level of effort for all options.

I'm opposed to putting any more holes into the bumper, but I don't want to destroy the cover either. (I have great respect for what you have done for this)

I've thought about using the upper license plate holes to attach through the opening in the gill some how using a strap or something but I'm not sure yet if that would work.

If you don't want to put any holes in it just make large Velcro strips to attach cover with. If you get alot of surface area on the edges it will be difficult to get off. :)  If you need some help let me know.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...