How to Improve Winter MPG's

ptjones

They are working well. Seem to be doing 43-45 when it's at or below freezing.

Now I have a few prices of Velcro that keep popping off on the one corner I need to fix

If you can get Black VELCRO  for Plastic strips, that's the best. Otherwise get it at Walmart, get automotive 3M double sticky foam tape at auto parts stores and you can get contact cement there too.  I use computer mouse pad cut into squares to make spacer between grill and VELCRO.  You should have some extra VELCRO squares to look at.  :)

GC parts

Paul

Use 3M 5952 tape if the velcro is not thick enough to raise the velcro to attach velcro firmly.

If that doesn't work, replace the velcro with 3M dual lock tabs.

The problem I have noticed long term is with Sun exposure the VELCRO adhesive gets soft.  I checked with VELCRO and they said VELCRO for Plastics handle higher temps. The solution is to increase the surface area so there is less pressure on the adhesive and VELCRO, adding the license plate increases the weight on the Grill Cover.

:)

Paul

The problem I have noticed long term is with Sun exposure the VELCRO adhesive gets soft.  I checked with VELCRO and they said VELCRO for Plastics handle higher temps. The solution is to increase the surface area so there is less pressure on the adhesive and VELCRO, adding the license plate increases the weight on the Grill Cover.

:)

Paul

I used 3M  Dual lock fasteners to attach sunscreen material to aluminum window frames with no issues for over 3 years in Phoenix.  You need the VHB adhesive. I only ran my grill covers in Phoenix for 4-5 months or so a year with no issues.  Also, obviously the tape and one part of the tab remained on the car year round.

http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/All-3M-Products/Tapes-Adhesives/Industrial-Tapes-and-Adhesives/Double-Sided-Bonding-Tapes/3M-VHB-Tapes/?N=5002385+8710676+8710815+8710960+8711017+8713604+3294857497&rt=r3

http://www.steambrite.com/solar-screens-frameless-scotch-brand-black-p-12550.html

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/3546-velcro-adhesive-problems-with-grill-covers/?do=findComment&comment=40579

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

I did have a couple extra squares of the Velcro kits you send Paul, I put those directly behind the license plate portion.

I'll lookup the Velcro for Plastics and to get some extra holding.

Paul, where do you get the Lexan sheets? I told my dad about the grill covers and he seems interested in doing that to his 16 Hybrid as well. Maybe he'll just buy another kit off you ;)

I did have a couple extra squares of the Velcro kits you send Paul, I put those directly behind the license plate portion.

I'll lookup the Velcro for Plastics and to get some extra holding.

Paul, where do you get the Lexan sheets? I told my dad about the grill covers and he seems interested in doing that to his 16 Hybrid as well. Maybe he'll just buy another kit off you ;)

I found the VELCRO for plastics at ACE Hardware, but only Large Stores would have it.  I had to buy a couple 4'X8' sheets from plastic distributor in Atlanta to get it, I think $50 minimum order.  You could also try using 3M Dual Lock looks promising, it all comes down to what you can find.  :) Trying to get LEXAN from Lowe's or Home Depot is too expensive and they don't have the right thickness. :sad: You don't want to use acrylic, it fractures too easily. :sad:  

Paul 

Edited by ptjones

:redcard: Beam me up Paul.  Our gas mileage is dropping like a rock !    :raining: :raining: :raining: Our lifetime has drifted down to 48.0 on the gauge this winter (46 at the pump).  Imagine that, frightfully close to falling under the glorious 48.

I'll take one lexan grill cover kit if you are making any up. :shoppingcart_:  We have now gone beyond the 4 year mark, so now I will be able to see what the grill covers net us.  I'm one month late so I should really hurry up and get some on for the next four year test.  Of course the next four years might not be exactly the same driving patterns, but it will be fun to compare.

:kookie: :sos: :kookie:,

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

:redcard: Beam me up Paul.  Our gas mileage is dropping like a rock !    :raining: :raining: :raining: Our lifetime has drifted down to 48.0 on the gauge this winter (46 at the pump).  Imagine that, frightfully close to falling under the glorious 48.

I'll take one lexan grill cover kit if you are making any up. :shoppingcart_:  We have now gone beyond the 4 year mark, so now I will be able to see what the grill covers net us.  I'm one month late so I should really hurry up and get some on for the next four year test.  Of course the next four years might not be exactly the same driving patterns, but it will be fun to compare.

:kookie: :sos: :kookie:,

Nick

I will make a set for you. :) Just PM me and we'll get a set out your way this week. :yahoo:

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again, Paul.  :mail:  Grill covers are on and performing.

Had my first good looped test run a week ago - 76 miles, 49.9 mpg (47+ pump) with two cold starts and one a bit warmer.  Not very cold, but cool 37 to 47.  The breakout was something like this:  38 miles @ 42-45 degrees and with descent - 54+- mpg; 10 miles @ 45-47 degrees and small ascent - 56+-mpg; and 28 miles @ 37-40 degrees in the dark & rain (wipers & lights) with ascent - 44+- mpg;;;  all mostly highway, say 85%+- ,speed limit 60. 

It definitely felt like the ICE was staying warmer a little longer, and I think the new grill covers improved the mpg's perhaps a little, say 2 or 3 mpg.  Totally unscientific anecdotal, but promising.  Looking forward to Spring and Summer, anything 45 degrees and above for some great numbers.  Hmmm, with so few miles on the car, maybe, just maybe I can push my lifetime up to 49 someday - wishful thinking I know. :play: :dance: :play:

Nick

DSC 23514r800x

Edited by C-MaxSea

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was on a business trip last week and Winter has hit the Northeast with temps down to freezing.  I filled up in Shippensburgh, PA  elev. 686 ft, temp 35*F and drove to Philadelphia about 150 miles, elev. 125 ft and 65*F.  I started out with 33 mpg and worked it's way up to 50.1 mpg when I got there. Just another example of how well these  Mods work during cold weather. :)

Paul

I've been averaging 53.3-56.1 on my daily trips to the office and back.  No A/C lately which have helped.  Haven't had any covers on until the other week i put the lower one back on.  Need to figured out what i'm doing with the middle one due to the license plate issue.

When I've been filling up my range estimate is 713 Miles usually.

I also took a trip up to PA, I only averaged 41.5 up there, and 45.6 on the way back.  Lots of mountains.

I've been averaging 53.3-56.1 on my daily trips to the office and back.  No A/C lately which have helped.  Haven't had any covers on until the other week i put the lower one back on.  Need to figured out what i'm doing with the middle one due to the license plate issue.

When I've been filling up my range estimate is 713 Miles usually.

I also took a trip up to PA, I only averaged 41.5 up there, and 45.6 on the way back.  Lots of mountains.

It would be nice if you could remove license bracket and mount License plate on center Grill Cover and put screws on the ends, make it permanent.  :)

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...