Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

How to Improve Winter MPG's

winter mpgs

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   djc

djc

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 168 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinnesota
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-max SE

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:58 PM

Paul,

That's a nice temp bump up, though again not enough to prevent ICE startup in cold weather - yes?

I did block the front vents this year (with black foam pipe insulation, plus a few black twist ties).  I also used some self-adhesive foam insulation (about 1/2 x 3/4" profile, as I remember) on the bottom edge of the hood to better seal over the headlights and across the front.  I read that Ford made a change for MY 2014 to that hood seal, but have not seen what they did.

I tried a little 200 watt heater in the passenger footwell today (ambient about 20 degrees).   It could only bump the cabin temp by 12 degrees after 2 hours.  (Heater is controlled by a z-wave switch which in turn is controlled by Amazon Alexa; temp is reported by an Acurite sensor (on the drivers seat) via their internet bridge.  This way I can control the heater and monitor the results from my study.)

I'll try a 500 watt heater tomorrow.  It would be nice to run a single z-wave switch powering both a low watt heater along with the block heater   But that wastes a bunch of heat/energy dissipated out of the slowly warming cabin.  So maybe the way to go is separate switches and a high watt quick heat of the cabin.  That may require different heater placement.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,145 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 08 December 2016 - 10:21 AM

Paul,

That's a nice temp bump up, though again not enough to prevent ICE startup in cold weather - yes?‚Äč  I don't think so, I think it does matter how cold it is and SOC of HVB. Also if you have the heater on it automatically starts the ICE to warm it up. Another possibility is that the HVB needs to be warmed up by charging it.

I did block the front vents this year (with black foam pipe insulation, plus a few black twist ties).  I also used some self-adhesive foam insulation (about 1/2 x 3/4" profile, as I remember) on the bottom edge of the hood to better seal over the headlights and across the front.  I read that Ford made a change for MY 2014 to that hood seal, but have not seen what they did. It is all about sealing up the ICE compartment to minimizing heat loss.

I tried a little 200 watt heater in the passenger footwell today (ambient about 20 degrees).   It could only bump the cabin temp by 12 degrees after 2 hours.  (Heater is controlled by a z-wave switch which in turn is controlled by Amazon Alexa; temp is reported by an Acurite sensor (on the drivers seat) via their internet bridge.  This way I can control the heater and monitor the results from my study.)

I'll try a 500 watt heater tomorrow.  It would be nice to run a single z-wave switch powering both a low watt heater along with the block heater   But that wastes a bunch of heat/energy dissipated out of the slowly warming cabin.  So maybe the way to go is separate switches and a high watt quick heat of the cabin.  That may require different heater placement.  

From an efficiency stand point you need to heat up ICE and Cabin fast, high power say 1300 watts in cabin in 15-20 min.and add oil pan heater to speed up ICE heating . Maybe placing a piece of wood on passenger seat and point heater towards Drivers area might work. :) Placing something on the windshield will keep it from frosting up.

Paul

#43 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,319 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:25 PM

As a reminder, there are minimum HVB operating and charging temperatures.

- somewhere near 0F, it will stop discharging; ICE only until things warm up

- it won't charge until it's above freezing. It's one reason the HVB circulates cabin air. 

These are fundamental limitations on Li-ion battery operation, so there's a control system in place to insure operating limits are maintained. 

Have fun,

Frank

• ptjones and djc like this

#44 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:11 PM

I think the coldest temp I've seen is maybe 10*F and the HVB is going to stay warmer than the OT anyways. :) Has anyone had their HVB get below 0%*F?

Paul

#45 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:50 PM

With temps from 30-44*F today I was still able to improve my MPG's this tank from 53.8 to 54.1 mpg's driving around town with about 300 miles on the tank.  These mods really do work. :)

Paul

#46 OFFLINE   joshg678

joshg678

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 119 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid

Posted 10 December 2016 - 10:55 PM

With temps from 30-44*F today I was still able to improve my MPG's this tank from 53.8 to 54.1 mpg's driving around town with about 300 miles on the tank. These mods really do work. :)

Paul

I can't wait to use mine. At this rate I won't have my C-Max repaired until thr first week in January.

#47 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 11 December 2016 - 10:15 AM

I can't wait to use mine. At this rate I won't have my C-Max repaired until thr first week in January.

Make sure they do a good job. :)

Paul

#48 OFFLINE   joshg678

joshg678

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 119 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:27 AM

Make sure they do a good job. :)

Paul

Apparently they will replace the Hood, bumper, front left quarter panel and plastic trim in wheel well, FL tire, headlight and driver door

#49 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,319 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:51 AM

... Has anyone had their HVB get below 0%*F?

Do you think I made this up?

#50 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 12 December 2016 - 12:39 PM

Do you think I made this up?

NO! Just curious to see what happens, like how long does it take for the HVB to  warm up and start acting normal. Does it drive like an ICE car when the HVB is to cold? I don't remember anyone commenting on this problem. :)

Well I made my 90 miles round trip up I-85/I-285 and back with temps at 44-45*F yesterday and got 56.2 mpg up and 50.6 mpg coming back.  So my average is up to 54.4 mpg now with 420 miles on this tank.  I got lucky going up I caught a Semi going 65-50 mph and maybe slight tail wind to get 56.2 mpg.  Coming back not as lucky with speeds 75-65 mph and not drafting much getting 50.6 mpg.   But overall I got 3-4 mpg better than I thought I would. :)

Paul

• obob likes this

#51 OFFLINE   rjam

rjam

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 188 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationUsa
  • My C-MAX's Year:2015
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX SEL

Posted 14 December 2016 - 09:44 PM

Just a reminder to put Grill Covers on now that it is getting cold. High 30's this morning in Atlanta Area.  :)

Paul

Thinking of using pipe insulater foam as many have suggested. If you tuck it in the grill openings nice and tight so no glue or tape needed will this intrefere with the active grill shutters?

thanks for all the great ideas. with temp at 30 my mpg is down to 35. ouch!

#52 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,319 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:09 AM

NO! Just curious to see what happens...

Then plan a trip to Saranac Lake next month. A good -20F overnight cold soak ought to do it. Lots to do during the day, too; all the Olympic venues are still there. 

I'm actually curious how the "EV on cold start" behavior will change when there's no EV available. But not curious enough to leave the house when it's 10-below....

Have fun,

Frank

• ptjones likes this

#53 OFFLINE   Bill-N

Bill-N

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 637 posts
  • LocationConnecticut
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:11 AM

Thinking of using pipe insulater foam as many have suggested. If you tuck it in the grill openings nice and tight so no glue or tape needed will this intrefere with the active grill shutters?

Not that I notice.  I use insulation made for 1/2" pipe.  The insulation straddles the horizontal bars and is notched around the vertical pieces.  It stays in place by itself snuggly enough that the car wash has no effect.

Edited by Bill-N, 15 December 2016 - 09:12 AM.

• ptjones and C-MaxSea like this

#54 OFFLINE   rjam

rjam

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 188 posts
  • LocationUsa

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:19 PM

Not that I notice.  I use insulation made for 1/2" pipe.  The insulation straddles the horizontal bars and is notched around the vertical pieces.  It stays in place by itself snuggly enough that the car wash has no effect.

Thanks. I cut it in several pieces usin the 1/2 inch squeezing them in each seperate opening. I don't think they will come out but afterward I worried about ruining the active shutter mechanaism preventing the from opening and stripping a gear.

#55 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,319 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:30 AM

You can see the shutters through the grill, if you get low enough. Plenty of space. 

Frank

• C-MaxSea likes this

#56 OFFLINE   rjam

rjam

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 188 posts
  • LocationUsa

Posted 17 December 2016 - 12:49 AM

Thanks. You are so right! Appreciate it.

#57 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:48 PM

Today it was 25*F going to work, the roads were icy so I drove carefully and got 52 mpg for the 7 mile trip.   :shift:  I usually get 44-47mpg for the uphill trip with warmer temps.  Remember you lose 2mpg for every 10*F drop it temp., so for 45*F drop you lose 9 mpg.   I started out with the garage at 54*F and I had the oil pan and block heaters on for 3 hrs.  WT was 114*F( 60*F is the max increase in temp.) and SOC was 44%. When I got to the shop WT was 177*F and SOC was 37% with 5-10 mph head wind. It is important to note that I have top, center and lower grills covered to minimize heat loss. So this time of year with temps so low all the grills need to be covered. :)

Paul

#58 OFFLINE   joshg678

joshg678

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 119 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:44 PM

I just put my covers on today and will go for a ride tomorrow. It was about 22 degrees today and same prediction tomorrow.
Past few days have been mid to low 30s and sitting in traffic leaving customers sites I was getting pretty cold. Kept the heat on recirculate so it wasn't too bad.
Also found out I can grab lunch across the street and back all on EV (.6mi). My coworker can't stand the silence lol.
  • ptjones and C-MaxSea like this

#59 OFFLINE   djc

djc

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 168 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:52 AM

Outside temp this morning is -7.4 F.   C-max cabin is -6.3.  It will still be sub-zero when I head out; I'll try to remember to pay attention to EV behavior.  If car will insist on running ICE until battery is above 0, that seems to be an argument for using a cabin pre-heater along with - or even instead of  - a block heater.   Not to mention comfort.

• ptjones likes this

#60 OFFLINE   djc

djc

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 168 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:12 PM

I started the car at -2F ambient and -2F cab temps.  While still parked the engine started charging the battery almost immediately (up arrow on left display).  Within 2 miles bat had gone from low charge to near fully charged.  Engine continued to run with fully charged bat.

d.

Custom Search

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: winter, mpgs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·