Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

How to Improve Winter MPG's

winter mpgs

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#81 ONLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,785 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:06 PM

The problem I have noticed long term is with Sun exposure the VELCRO adhesive gets soft.  I checked with VELCRO and they said VELCRO for Plastics handle higher temps. The solution is to increase the surface area so there is less pressure on the adhesive and VELCRO, adding the license plate increases the weight on the Grill Cover.

:)

Paul

I used 3M  Dual lock fasteners to attach sunscreen material to aluminum window frames with no issues for over 3 years in Phoenix.  You need the VHB adhesive. I only ran my grill covers in Phoenix for 4-5 months or so a year with no issues.  Also, obviously the tape and one part of the tab remained on the car year round.

http://www.3m.com/3M...294857497&rt=r3

http://www.steambrit...ck-p-12550.html

http://fordcmaxhybri...ers/#entry40579

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer, 11 February 2017 - 10:14 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#82 OFFLINE   joshg678

joshg678

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 120 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationEarth
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:14 AM

I did have a couple extra squares of the Velcro kits you send Paul, I put those directly behind the license plate portion.
I'll lookup the Velcro for Plastics and to get some extra holding.

Paul, where do you get the Lexan sheets? I told my dad about the grill covers and he seems interested in doing that to his 16 Hybrid as well. Maybe he'll just buy another kit off you ;)

#83 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,183 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 12 February 2017 - 12:05 PM

I did have a couple extra squares of the Velcro kits you send Paul, I put those directly behind the license plate portion.
I'll lookup the Velcro for Plastics and to get some extra holding.

Paul, where do you get the Lexan sheets? I told my dad about the grill covers and he seems interested in doing that to his 16 Hybrid as well. Maybe he'll just buy another kit off you ;)

I found the VELCRO for plastics at ACE Hardware, but only Large Stores would have it.  I had to buy a couple 4'X8' sheets from plastic distributor in Atlanta to get it, I think $50 minimum order.  You could also try using 3M Dual Lock looks promising, it all comes down to what you can find.  :) Trying to get LEXAN from Lowe's or Home Depot is too expensive and they don't have the right thickness. :sad: You don't want to use acrylic, it fractures too easily. :sad:  

Paul 

Edited by ptjones, 12 February 2017 - 12:25 PM.

#84 OFFLINE   joshg678

joshg678

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 120 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 12 February 2017 - 11:03 PM

The lexan you have is the right stuff. I was thinking of getting some for some other random projects but a few sheets of 4x8 is pretty substantial.

#85 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,183 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:19 AM

The lexan you have is the right stuff. I was thinking of getting some for some other random projects but a few sheets of 4x8 is pretty substantial.

I have one sheet left so I could make some more in the future if there is a need. :)

Paul

#86 OFFLINE   C-MaxSea

C-MaxSea

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 974 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSeattle, WA USA
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL, 303A, Pano Sunroof, Born Aug 2012

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:34 PM

:redcard: Beam me up Paul.  Our gas mileage is dropping like a rock !    :raining: :raining: :raining: Our lifetime has drifted down to 48.0 on the gauge this winter (46 at the pump).  Imagine that, frightfully close to falling under the glorious 48.

I'll take one lexan grill cover kit if you are making any up. :shoppingcart_:  We have now gone beyond the 4 year mark, so now I will be able to see what the grill covers net us.  I'm one month late so I should really hurry up and get some on for the next four year test.  Of course the next four years might not be exactly the same driving patterns, but it will be fun to compare.

:kookie: :sos: :kookie:,

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea, 13 February 2017 - 05:38 PM.

#87 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,183 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:03 AM

:redcard: Beam me up Paul.  Our gas mileage is dropping like a rock !    :raining: :raining: :raining: Our lifetime has drifted down to 48.0 on the gauge this winter (46 at the pump).  Imagine that, frightfully close to falling under the glorious 48.

I'll take one lexan grill cover kit if you are making any up. :shoppingcart_:  We have now gone beyond the 4 year mark, so now I will be able to see what the grill covers net us.  I'm one month late so I should really hurry up and get some on for the next four year test.  Of course the next four years might not be exactly the same driving patterns, but it will be fun to compare.

:kookie: :sos: :kookie:,

Nick

I will make a set for you. :) Just PM me and we'll get a set out your way this week. :yahoo:

Paul

#88 OFFLINE   C-MaxSea

C-MaxSea

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 974 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:47 AM

Thanks Paul, will do.   Nick

#89 OFFLINE   joshg678

joshg678

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 120 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:24 PM

I had to pickup some super glue that said it was good for rubber/plastic to rebond the Velcro to the mousepad price.
The three on the drivers side came off today and one of the passenger side as well.

#90 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,183 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:34 PM

I had to pickup some super glue that said it was good for rubber/plastic to rebond the Velcro to the mousepad price.
The three on the drivers side came off today and one of the passenger side as well.

Contact cement works good.

Paul

#91 OFFLINE   C-MaxSea

C-MaxSea

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 974 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:22 PM

Thanks again, Paul.  :mail:  Grill covers are on and performing.

Had my first good looped test run a week ago - 76 miles, 49.9 mpg (47+ pump) with two cold starts and one a bit warmer.  Not very cold, but cool 37 to 47.  The breakout was something like this:  38 miles @ 42-45 degrees and with descent - 54+- mpg; 10 miles @ 45-47 degrees and small ascent - 56+-mpg; and 28 miles @ 37-40 degrees in the dark & rain (wipers & lights) with ascent - 44+- mpg;;;  all mostly highway, say 85%+- ,speed limit 60. 

It definitely felt like the ICE was staying warmer a little longer, and I think the new grill covers improved the mpg's perhaps a little, say 2 or 3 mpg.  Totally unscientific anecdotal, but promising.  Looking forward to Spring and Summer, anything 45 degrees and above for some great numbers.  Hmmm, with so few miles on the car, maybe, just maybe I can push my lifetime up to 49 someday - wishful thinking I know. :play: :dance: :play:

Nick

DSC 23514r800x

Edited by C-MaxSea, 19 March 2017 - 11:32 AM.

• ptjones likes this

#92 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,183 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:20 PM

I have added more Tips to the first Post. :)

Paul

#93 OFFLINE   joshg678

joshg678

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 120 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:16 PM

My covers are doing well. Drove to one of my custom in Maryland today (75 mi each way) and averaged 55MPG (53 there and 57 return) was 32 degrees in the morning and 55 in the afternoon.
I wasn't trying that hard but really excited on the performance.
  • ptjones and obob like this

#94 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,183 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:37 AM

I want to let everyone know that I've Updated Post#2 with all the current Info for improving MPG's for really all year around, not just winter. :yahoo:

Paul

#95 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,183 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:08 AM

I thought would remind members what can be done to minimize the loss of MPG's during the up coming cold weather months that some are already experiencing. :sad:  You can go to Post #2 to for all the info. :)

Paul

#96 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,183 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted Today, 09:30 AM

I was on a business trip last week and Winter has hit the Northeast with temps down to freezing.  I filled up in Shippensburgh, PA  elev. 686 ft, temp 35*F and drove to Philadelphia about 150 miles, elev. 125 ft and 65*F.  I started out with 33 mpg and worked it's way up to 50.1 mpg when I got there. Just another example of how well these  Mods work during cold weather. :)

Paul

Custom Search

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: winter, mpgs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·