How to Improve Winter MPG's

ptjones

I sure took a hit on a trip today (I mean yesterday!).  Only got 45 mpg when I would normally expect at least 50.  On the trip out I watched coolant temp on ET screen.  It averaged about 80F or a bit higher - all over the place of course as you go in and out of EV.  OAT was 35 to 40F, heater set to 75F, #4 fan speed, Recirc and 65 mph.  I then turned heat off and coolant temp went up 10F, maybe more.  Even at highway speeds the engine was hardly ever above 95F.  I really do need to try grill covers.

So with Grill Covers on today going to work OT 45*F. with car in garage, oil pan heaters plugged-in, WT 91*F and SOC 40%. The 7 mile trip is 45 mph with several signals and takes about 13 minutes, at work WT was 180*F,   51 mpg and 45% SOC. :) Didn't use heater or electric seats, garage temp was 66*F.

Paul 

Today I had a couple trips with it being about 42F

The WT got nice and high, had about 10 miles straight on highway and interstate doing about 65 mph. We got up to 230F. I had the heat at 72 recirculating.

There was a gentle incline. At the top went into EV for a mile and went down to 213 for the next bit till I got off. Stayed above 180F the rest of the way with 45-55 zones and lights etc.

Bottom grill cover, middle is taped, top is open.

You could put some good packing tape on the middle and lower ones as a test to see, large difference for sure.

It’s 30 out right now and I have to go on a 30 mile drive today, I’ll monitor my WT on my scan gauge.

Or foam insulation intended for water pipes.  See Home Depot, Lowes, or local hardware store.  Works great.   :)

Just to remind CMAX Owners that the center grill should be covered at all times.  The lower grill has radiator, transmission, DC to DC inverter and A/C coolers so cover needs to be removed  when temps get high for these coolers. I monitor WT so when temp reaches 230*F it's time to remove part or all of lower cover or turn defrost, heater on to lower temps. :)  

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Just to remind CMAX Owners that the center grill should be covered at all times.  The lower grill has radiator, transmission, DC to DC inverter and A/C coolers so cover needs to be removed  when temps get high for these coolers. I monitor WT so when temp reaches 230*F it's time to remove part or all of lower cover or turn defrost, heater on to lower temps. :)  

Paul

And what are your thoughts on the top vent under the hood.  Perhaps a partial cover for the winter or for very cold ?

Edited by obob

And what are you thoughts on the top vent under the hood.  Perhaps a partial cover for the winter or for very cold ?

If it is down in the 40's and below most of the time I completely cover it up.  It doesn't make a big difference( about 5*F, but I think you gain some heat saving and aerodynamic improvement. :) 

Paul 

If it is down in the 40's and below most of the time I completely cover it up.  It doesn't make a big difference( about 5*F, but I think you gain some heat saving and aerodynamic improvement. :)

Paul 

I'm getting a little worried with my covers and the Water Temp.  Getting up to 231F doing 70MPH on minor hills.  It was only 50 out both times, no alarms or anything other then my own concern :) .

Edited by joshg678

I'm getting a little worried with my covers and the Water Temp.  Getting up to 231F doing 70MPH on minor hills.  It was only 50 out both times, no alarms or anything other then my own concern :) .

Alarms will not go off until 246*F so you have a ways to go, when I get to 231*F I will hit the defrost button and temps go down 20*F in a minute then turn it off. Using the heater also helps, just turn it on with temps are going up and off when temps are going down. :)  Also You could slow down , which works.  Or remove lower Grill Cover, what ever works for you. :)

Paul

Alarms will not go off until 246*F so you have a ways to go, when I get to 231*F I will hit the defrost button and temps go down 20*F in a minute then turn it off. Using the heater also helps, just turn it on with temps are going up and off when temps are going down. :)  Also You could slow down , which works.  Or remove lower Grill Cover, what ever works for you. :)

Paul

I'll find out in the next coming weeks when i have to travel up to PA again.  Hopefully it will be cool enough for me to need heat lol

Filled up after getting back from visiting family for Thanksgiving. Only averaged 41.9 MPG :( 

To the car's credit, it has been very cold this week. Sometimes I wish I had the money for the plug-in. Almost all of my drives are well within the electric-only range.

Is there any reason you can't do the things I have listed in Post#1? :)

Paul

If you don't know, there is no sensor to measure coolant temperature.  Coolant temperature is inferred from the Cylinder Head Temperature sensor data. IIRC, when I monitored both coolant temperature and CHT, coolant temperature = CHT less 5-7*F under normal operating temperatures.  If CHT > 270F, DTC P1299 is thrown, the MIL illuminates immediately and fuel shut-off strategy is activated to reduce engine and coolant temperature.   So, there is monitoring and controls in place to protect the engine from damage due to high engine temperature.  231F coolant temp. = about 238F CHT.  238 F is a long ways away from 270F.  So, I doubt one would ever get to 270F unless there was loss of coolant or coolant circulation.  I've seen coolant temps as high as about 235 -238 F going up steeper, long hills in the West at 75+ mph with temps in the 40's.

If you don't know, there is no sensor to measure coolant temperature. Coolant temperature is inferred from the Cylinder Head Temperature sensor data. IIRC, when I monitored both coolant temperature and CHT, coolant temperature = CHT less 5-7*F under normal operating temperatures. If CHT > 270F, DTC P1299 is thrown, the MIL illuminates immediately and fuel shut-off strategy is activated to reduce engine and coolant temperature. So, there is monitoring and controls in place to protect the engine from damage due to high engine temperature. 231F coolant temp. = about 238F CHT. 238 F is a long ways away from 270F. So, I doubt one would ever get to 270F unless there was loss of coolant or coolant circulation. I've seen coolant temps as high as about 235 -238 F going up steeper, long hills in the West at 75+ mph with temps in the 40's.

Thanks for those details, good info.

I’m not entirely convinced that temps that high won’t warp the head on the ICE, or head gasket issues.

Does anyone know if there’s a set temperature where the cooling fans turn on?

Thanks for those details, good info.

I’m not entirely convinced that temps that high won’t warp the head on the ICE, or head gasket issues.

Does anyone know if there’s a set temperature where the cooling fans turn on?

There are many inputs to the algorithm which determines the operation of the radiator fan.  It is also a variable speed motor.

One other point on coolant temperature.  The monitoring of closed loop ICE operation has an exit point at 235F coolant temperature.  So, ICE is likely not operating at an ideal fuel/air mixture resulting in more emissions and lower ICE efficiency above 235F.

There are certainly unknowns with respect to using grille covers.  I very rarely used them in for the two years we spent in eastern TN and virtually never in the Phoenix area even though we see morning lows below between 35 - 50F very frequently in the winter in the Phoenix area.  It is simply not "cold enough" for me to spend the time to mount / remove on a frequent basis for the benefit.  Of course, hypermilers will look at it differently.  Only you can decide what makes you feel "good".

I live in Rochester, and have had all three grills blocked since some time in '14. I only monitor engine temp through My View, not an OBD interface, so I can only say it's never gotten past the middle of the range. If I lived in the Valley of the Sun, it may well have gone high enough that I would have removed one or more. I wouldn't worry much in the Northeast, and Paul's done well in the Southeast. But Ford did have specific design goals, so there are operating conditions where all the airflow is needed.

My View is your friend in this regard. I look at RPM and water temp, and regularly flip between it and Empower while driving. 

Have fun,

Frank

My View is your friend in this regard. I look at RPM and water temp, and regularly flip between it and Empower while driving. 

I used to do that too, but got tired of it and got a scangauge haha.

I did notice that when my WT said 231F it was one notch higher on the temp gauge in my view.

Right now the Weather has been 32F in the morning, and 55+F during the day.  Kind of all over the place, lol.

My Typical driving the temp never gets about 180F.

I was Curious at what temperate the fan would just default to On (hi/med/low).

As i'm wondering if running at 230F would be running the fan and if that would cause extra drain(less efficient) vs just adding a small opening in the in the cover when doing longer drives being more efficient.