DEAD BATTERY AGAIN

njallchin

I thought my 2014 C-Max was the greatest car in the world until the second dead battery in the morning. I took it in to the dealer after the first time, and supposedly it was fixed, but yesterday morning it was dead again. This time after the AAA recharge the clock won't re-set.

What is the cause of this problem? What needs to be done to fix it permanently? What do I need to ask the dealer to do?

When did the first dead battery occur?  You need to make sure the latest technical bulletin on the dead battery issue has been applied to your car.  

There apparently is no "one size fits all" for the cause of the dead battery issue.  There are many threads on the issue (search).  Some have had Ford buy back their cars and some have sold their cars because of repeated dead battery issues.  About the only thing one can do if the Ford / dealer can't "fix" the issue is to mitigate the inconvenience  of a dead battery.  Many have purchased a "Jump Start" battery and keep it in the car.  It usually only takes a brief time (minutes if that) once the jump start battery is connected for the electronics to begin working and the high voltage battery via a DC/DC converter charges  the 12 V battery.

I would take your car to the dealer so they can document the dead battery issue and check to see if there are any diagnostic trouble codes present. 

I thought my 2014 C-Max was the greatest car in the world until the second dead battery in the morning. I took it in to the dealer after the first time, and supposedly it was fixed, but yesterday morning it was dead again. This time after the AAA recharge the clock won't re-set.

What is the cause of this problem? What needs to be done to fix it permanently? What do I need to ask the dealer to do?

Welcome to the forum, njallchin! I want to do what I can to make sure you think your car is the greatest in the world again. How many miles do you have on it? 

Crystal

Crystal, 

Thanks! I would love to have your help. I don't understand the forum very well yet, and I can't find out how to reply to you. Please, are you representing Ford? What is your job title?

Hi njallchin,

Yep, I'm a member of Ford's Social Media team. We have folks on Facebook, Twitter, and forums like this one. Meagan is normally the Ford Service rep on this site; I'm filling in for her while she's out of the office. All you have to do to respond to me is click on the "Quote" button at the bottom of this post. How many miles are on your car?

Crystal

Edited by FordService

Hi njallchin,

Yep, I'm a member of Ford's Social Media team. We have folks on Facebook, Twitter, and forums like this one. Meagan is normally the Ford Service rep on this site; I'm filling in for her while she's out of the office. All you have to do to respond to me is click on the "Quote" button at the bottom of this post. How many miles are on your car?

Crystal

The first time it happened it was <1000. The second time, last Saturday, about 9000. What can you do to help? My dealer is Academy Ford in Laurel, Maryland.

...I don't understand the forum very well yet, and I can't find out how to reply to you.

There's always "quote" and "reply" but...

"Hover" over anyone's name and a pop-up will appear that allows you to send them a personal message. This is the most common way the Ford reps interact, as they need some personal information you may not want made public, and it keeps discussion of specific dealerships off the public internet.

It's a smart move on Ford's part, as issues get fixed quicker with less collateral damage all around. Not a universal solution, but better than ignoring social media.

Have fun,

Frank

PS PM sent. Check the top line of this browser window.

Edited by fbov

The first time it happened it was <1000. The second time, last Saturday, about 9000. What can you do to help? My dealer is Academy Ford in Laurel, Maryland.

Hi njallchin,

Just to clarify, is your vehicle at the dealership now? I can escalate this to your regional customer service manager; they work with dealers in their assigned area to ensure concerns are resolved. To get the ball rolling, send me a private message (PM) with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealer.

Crystal

The 12 volt battery is a weak point for Tesla and Volt as well.  Read drdiesels posts on battery chargers and the problem generally. My Energi failed twice in 2 years. It jumped easily. The battery voltage was low but was not damaged according to the dealer.  Complain to all who will listen but I recommend that you avoid the aggravation and do not wait for Ford, Tesla or GM to figure this out. Buy a portable jump starter for $50 to $70 and never worry. I got mine from Crutchfield but Amazon and other sites have examples from $40. Mine is the size of a small paper-back. SURE Ford should fix this! I waited 3 years. Now I am unconcerned and about to get my second plug-in! $30,000 for the CMax Energi plus $70 for peace of mind sounds ok to me!

Hi njallchin,

Crystal

Hi again, Crystal or Meagan! I'm taking my 2014 C-Max Hybrid in to my dealership tomorrow, Academy Ford in Laurel, MD. It has 9300-9400 miles on it. As you saw on the post, I woke up to a completely drained battery about two weeks ago.

I have two questions:

First, will it need a new 12V battery? How can they tell if the battery is damaged and needs replacement?

Second, why does the electrical reset need to be done again? I took it in for that in September. I thought it was a one-time fix. 

Anything you can do will be appreciated!

Joy

Hi again, Crystal or Meagan! I'm taking my 2014 C-Max Hybrid in to my dealership tomorrow, Academy Ford in Laurel, MD. It has 9300-9400 miles on it. As you saw on the post, I woke up to a completely drained battery about two weeks ago.

I have two questions:

First, will it need a new 12V battery? How can they tell if the battery is damaged and needs replacement?

Second, why does the electrical reset need to be done again? I took it in for that in September. I thought it was a one-time fix. 

Anything you can do will be appreciated!

Joy

Hey, Joy!

I'm not a technician, so I'm not the best resource for diagnostic/mechanical information. I'd recommend speaking with the service manager at your dealership; I know they'd be happy to get you some answers. If you'd like me to escalate this to your regional customer service manager (CSM), just send me a private message (PM) with the information I listed above. If you'd prefer to speak with someone on the phone, you can contact my colleagues at the Customer Relationship Center. They can be reached at 1-800-392-3673. They offer the same assistance that I do. :)

Crystal