Considering buying a used 2013

Taiwwa

I'm thinking of buying a used 2013 Cmax. Anything to look out for? In all of this, I'm also considering just getting a new one, especially since a used one with 30k miles from 2013 will run like 14-15k while a new one can be had for 22k, plus it included the variety of improvements they make as the production line matures.

Anyways, what are common mechanical issues to be on the watch for? Also, there are a few SEL models that are in the ball park for SE models. Now, is the SEL trim worth it? I personally don't really care about keyless start, and it could be a malfunction point. I do kind of care about the leather seats. Are they a sizable upgrade over the cloth seats of the SE?

The SEL will have MFT, which to my mind is a HUGE plus (also tends not to have the battery problems of the SE).  As you can see from a cursory glance here, early 2013 SE models in particular had battery issues which (to my mind, at least) either were solved in production as time went by or have been fixed with updates and/or mechanical adjustments along the way.  Which isn't to say you might not still have battery problems but you can mitigate them by choosing wisely.

I'm thinking of buying a used 2013 Cmax. Anything to look out for? In all of this, I'm also considering just getting a new one, especially since a used one with 30k miles from 2013 will run like 14-15k while a new one can be had for 22k, plus it included the variety of improvements they make as the production line matures.

Anyways, what are common mechanical issues to be on the watch for? Also, there are a few SEL models that are in the ball park for SE models. Now, is the SEL trim worth it? I personally don't really care about keyless start, and it could be a malfunction point. I do kind of care about the leather seats. Are they a sizable upgrade over the cloth seats of the SE?

I'm going to disagree about keyless start on the C-Max being a malfunction point. I understand the argument on a typical car but, the difference with the C-Max (and hybrids in general) is that you aren't starting the car in a traditional sense. Basically, "turning the car on" has more in common with pushing the start button on your computer. Turning the key/hitting the start button merely starts up the computers and connects the hybrid battery -- that is pretty much it. Once the computers start, the car then evaluates the charge state of the hybrid battery and/or if you are wanting cabin heat, and decides if it needs to start the ICE. 

As to whether the SEL is worth it depends on what you are wanting. The leather seats are nice, and having the heated seats is nice in winter, as well as having power seats. Depending on where you live, the fog lights could be important to you. I really like the rain-sensing wipers, they work well for me, though others don't care for them. Also, the backup sensors are worth having.

What package you have will also make a difference. You can get MyFord Touch in SE models with some packages. On the SEL, you get a backup camera and the power lift gate, including the handsfree option. I'm surprised how much I've appreciated being able to kick my foot to open the lift gate (though this option is also avaliable in the top package of the SE). You also get the Sony stereo starting with the 302A package on the SEL.

Hopefully this helps, that it gives you some idea of if the SEL is worth buying for you.

I might come to appreciate those features, but my last car was a lousy Chevy Aveo which didn't even have power windows! So I'm used to barebones cars.

I really care more about reliability. The 2013's are really inexpensive, surprisingly so. They are cheaper than similar Toyota Prius's, despite being more expensive at retail overall. Were there any problems on first launch which were later rectified in later model years? the Cmax seemed to get bad reliability scores. I really care about not having to deal with repairs for a long time. 

As I said before, cars without MFT seemed more prone to the infamous battery problem than cars with it, so that's the main reason you might consider it.  The early 2013 models also seemed a lot more prone to this issue.

For me as much as I love our 2014 SE model (with MFT) there is no way I'd buy an early 2013 SE, due to that possible issue.  Maybe a *late* 2013 SE, and certainly any SEL no matter the year (or any SE with MFT, as ours has).  I suspect almost ALL the reported reliability issues are due to that battery one.

Tiawwa

I have a 2013 SEL  with almost 36K miles.

It has only been in the shop for the recalls.  It has never left me stranded, and I've been getting good mileage here in VA.

I had a prius before the Cmax.  while I liked the prius and the 50+ mpg  I think the interior quality of the cmax far superior.

I recommend the new one for only 8K more, if you are planning on keeping the car. If it is a shorter term thing that you will get rid of in a couple of years, then the 2013 is the way to go. I would opt for the SEL personally. The MFT includes a backup camera, essential for a car these days IMHO.

I might come to appreciate those features, but my last car was a lousy Chevy Aveo which didn't even have power windows! So I'm used to barebones cars.

I really care more about reliability. The 2013's are really inexpensive, surprisingly so. They are cheaper than similar Toyota Prius's, despite being more expensive at retail overall. Were there any problems on first launch which were later rectified in later model years? the Cmax seemed to get bad reliability scores. I really care about not having to deal with repairs for a long time. 

I have 2013 SEL, personally wouldn't get an SE. From a functionality stand point 2013 has the best Smart Gauge, they dumb down the 14's and newer ones.  Make sure you have a warranty for the time you own the car, that way you don't have to worry about it.  I have 113K on mine and I have a warranty to 132k mi. :)

Paul 

Yeah, but Paul -- you're not going to get rid of that car in another 15K or so, right?  The way you drive, that's next week <bg>.

You are probably right, LOL.  I hope I have the Warranty Loan paid off before I run out of coverage. LOL ;)  I guess I will have to start a savings account for work to be done on MADMAX in the future. ;)  I could have the car for 200-300K mi., we will see. :)

Paul

...I have a 2013 SEL  with almost ____ miles.

It has only been in the shop for the recalls.  It has never left me stranded, and I've been getting good mileage here in ___

I'll wager there are a bunch of us who could write this post. In my case, it's 40K miles in NY.

The only warnings I'll give are:

- watch out for 2013 SE's... 12V battery issue that should have been fixed by now, but... And SEL's are generally fine.

- Try out Sync/MFT as this is the one thing that might push you to a new car.

There's more than enough on the 12V issues on the forum. And lots of complaints, early on, about the voice-activated Microsoft entertainment system known as Sync and My Ford Touch. So much so that Ford changed providers, and starting with the 2015s, offers a different entertainment system across the fleet. I'm fine with my simple needs so I have no complains.

If you found MFT burdensome, that would be a reason to consider a current model year car. Otherwise, it's normal used car buying, a case-by-case basis.

HAve fun,

Frank

We had a '13 SEL, no real problems in 30K miles - we did have the small carpet pieces come off behind the seat in the cargo area...also, we kept getting the service engine soon light for something related to the fuel filler inlet, but didn't ever actually bother to deal with those things or have to go back for anything in 2 1/2 years.  Now we have a '15 SEL equipped exactly the same, even the same color.  We notice a few minor changes, like the fuel inlet valve, but it is essentially the same exact car.  So thew choice is yours...but the real question is, should you wait for a '16? 

I'm still looking at SE's. Looking at carfax reports, lots of them go in for recall servicing in like 2014, and then are driven another 20k miles, which I am going to assume means that all is well. 

One more thing: how close is the market price to the KBB value? I'm looking in the Ohio region. Gas prices are low so hybrids aren't going for the premium they went for in 2008. Cargurus will say that a car at 11k is 1k below the 12k price, while kbb will say that the car is worth 11k, and so the listed price is accurate. 

So looking at some auto check reports on these cars, on one of the cars it says, "BATTERY SERVICED/REPLACED" every 5k miles or so. Of course the oil is also changed among other things in these visits. Is this an indication of...the infamous 12v battery problem, or routine maintenance? 

Well, in 40K miles, I have 0 instances of dealer service for "BATTERY SERVICED/REPLACED."

I have 4 instances of dealer service with "BATTERY OK," and no instances of 12v battery issues, in a 2013 SEL. I would suspect that service pattern in an SE.

HAve fun,

Frank

So looking at some auto check reports on these cars, on one of the cars it says, "BATTERY SERVICED/REPLACED" every 5k miles or so. Of course the oil is also changed among other things in these visits. Is this an indication of...the infamous 12v battery problem, or routine maintenance? 

My guess, NO as I can't imagine a battery replacement every 5 k miles but it may be a reason to pass on the car unless you can find out what service was performed.  If the car being sold by a Ford dealer, call them and ask what Battery Serviced/Replaced means.

All my dealer service reports / invoices (about 8) list under an item labeled "Perform Quick Lane Multi-point Inspection":

GBATT BATTERY TESTED AND OK AT THIS TIME

On my last service, I took my car in because my 12 V battery wouldn't hold a charge and to have 15E03 PCM reprogramming and recall 14S21 done.  The dealer tested my battery and found it failed.  The first item on the service report shows that a new BXT battery was installed.  The next item on the service report is the Multi-point inspection showing the battery was tested and is OK.

We've had quite a lot of individual issues show up, which may or may not matter to you.

Always check the car's recall status, as there have been a lot! Supposed to be a new one coming shortly, 14B07, for early-build cars like mine. Note that 12M02 is just a warranty extension, but any others should be applied before you buy.

Tranny issues would be big in my book, given even some low mileage cars have needed replacement. Noise under regen was mentioned, grinding noises... check the threads. Folks who reported had fairly consistent symptoms.  

Next is the ubiquitous 12V issue in SEs. Nothing worse than getting stranded or not starting. It would be worth it to get a small battery monitor like this. See if you can enter a cold car (not one that's been warmed up), and stick one of these in the lighter to find the at-rest 12V system voltage. Cars with issues will not have a full charge (~12.4v). Lots of data on this issue here.

Then there are the squeaks, rattles and howls. I get the latter at certain speeds and RPMs, but its easily stopped by changing speed. For some folks, it's a noise suppression system failure that's really hard to fix. I also have an occasional rattle behind me that could just be the umbrella under the back seat.

That said, in 40K miles on a September, 2012 build, I've paid for oil and inspections, but no repairs to date, and things are working well!

HAve fun,

Frank

We've had quite a lot of individual issues show up, which may or may not matter to you.

Always check the car's recall status, as there have been a lot! Supposed to be a new one coming shortly, 14B07, for early-build cars like mine. Note that 12M02 is just a warranty extension, but any others should be applied before you buy.

Tranny issues would be big in my book, given even some low mileage cars have needed replacement. Noise under regen was mentioned, grinding noises... check the threads. Folks who reported had fairly consistent symptoms.  

Next is the ubiquitous 12V issue in SEs. Nothing worse than getting stranded or not starting. It would be worth it to get a small battery monitor like this. See if you can enter a cold car (not one that's been warmed up), and stick one of these in the lighter to find the at-rest 12V system voltage. Cars with issues will not have a full charge (~12.4v). Lots of data on this issue here.

Then there are the squeaks, rattles and howls. I get the latter at certain speeds and RPMs, but its easily stopped by changing speed. For some folks, it's a noise suppression system failure that's really hard to fix. I also have an occasional rattle behind me that could just be the umbrella under the back seat.

That said, in 40K miles on a September, 2012 build, I've paid for oil and inspections, but no repairs to date, and things are working well!

HAve fun,

Frank

Very good tips but the 12V issue also applies to SEL's.   Just don't want someone to think that getting a SEL eliminates the problem.  The magnitude of the issue per trim level is very debatable but it is well documented that it does happen to both the SE and SEL.  

• Recall Date: SEP 25, 2014
  • Recall Title: RESTRAINTS CONTROL MODULE REPLACEMENT
  • NHTSA Recall Number: 14V597
  • Ford Recall Number: 14S21
  • Recall Description: AFFECTED VEHICLES ARE EQUIPPED WITH RESTRAINT CONTROL MODULES RCMS THAT MAY EXPERIENCE AN INTERNAL ELECTRICAL SHORT CIRCUIT. IF A SHORT CIRCUIT OCCURS, THE AIRBAG WARNING LAMP WOULD ILLUMINATE. DEPENDING ON THE LOCATION OF THE SHORT CIRCUIT THE DEPLOYABLE RESTRAINT SYSTEMS E.G. AIR BAGS. PRETENSIONERS SIDE CURTAINS MAY NOT FUNCTION AS INTENDED IN THE EVENT OF A CRASH INCREASING THE RISK OF INJURY. THE SHORT MAY ALSO AFFECT THE FUNCTION OF OTHER SYSTEMS THAT USE INTERNAL DATA FROM THE RCM E.G. STABILITY CONTROL. IN THESE CASES THE CORRESPONDING MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMPS WOULD ALSO BE ILLUMINATED. THESE VEHICLES ARE NOT PRODUCED IN VIN ORDER. INFORMATION AS TO THE APPLICABILITY OF THIS ACTION TO SPECIFIC VEHICLES CAN BEST BE OBTAINED BY EITHER CALLING FORDS TOLL FREE LINE 1 866 436 7332 OR BY CONTACTING A LOCAL FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER WHO CAN OBTAIN SPECIFIC INFORMATION REGARDING THE VEHICLES FROM THE FORD ON LINE AUTOMOTIVE SERVICE INFORMATION SYSTEM OASIS DATABASE.
  • Risk to Safety: DEPENDING ON THE LOCATION OF THE SHORT CIRCUIT, THE DEPLOYABLE RESTRAINT SYSTEMS AND OTHER SYSTEMS THAT USE INERTIAL DATA FROM THE RCM MAY NOT FUNCTION AS INTENDED, INCREASING THE RISK OF INJURY. FORD IS NOT AWARE OF ANY ACCIDENT OR INJURY RELATED TO THIS CONDITION.
  • Remedy Program: DEALERS WILL BE INSTRUCTED TO REPLACE THE RCM. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE TO OWNERS FOR THIS SERVICE. AN INITIAL NOTIFICATION LETTER WILL BE MAILED TO ALL OWNERS THE WEEK OF NOVEMBER 10, 2014. DUE TO LIMITED PARTS AVAILABILITY, WE WILL INSTRUCT OWNERS TO CONTACT THEIR DEALER FOR SERVICE IF THEY HAVE AN ILLUMINATED AIRBAG WARNING INDICATOR. OWNERS WHO HAVE NOT ALREADY HAD THIS SERVICE PERFORMED WILL BE MAILED A FOLLOW-UP LETTER WHEN PARTS ARE AVAILABLE, ADVISING THEM TO SCHEDULE A SERVICE APPOINTMENT. IN ACCORDANCE WITH PART 573.13(D)(1), FORDS GENERAL REIMBURSEMENT PLAN FOR THE COST OF REMEDIES PAID FOR BY VEHICLE OWNERS PRIOR TO NOTIFICATION OF A SAFETY RECALL WAS PROVIDED TO THE AGENCY ON FEBRUARY 20, 2013. THE ENDING DATE FOR REIMBURSEMENT ELIGIBILITY FOR THE COST OF REMEDIES PAID FOR BY VEHICLE OWNERS PER FORD'S GENERAL REIMBURSEMENT PLAN IS NOVEMBER 30, 2014. FORD WILL UPLOAD A COPY OF THE NOTIFICATION LETTERS TO DEALERS ON NHTSA'S SAFERCAR.GOV WEBSITE WHEN AVAILABLE.
  • Manufacturer Notes: TO CHECK FOR NON-SAFETY-RELATED PROGRAMS APPLICABLE TO YOUR VEHICLE, SEE HTTP://WWW.FORD.COM/OR CALL YOUR FORD DEALER.

• VIN:
  • FSA Title: 12 VOLT BATTERY TEST AND MODULE SOFTWARE UPDATE
  • Field Service Action Number: 15B04

• VIN:
  • FSA Title: SYNC WITH MYFORD/MYLINCOLN TOUCH - WARRANTY EXTENSION COVERING ACCESSORY PROTOCOL INTERFACE MODULE (APIM)
  • Field Service Action Number: 12M02

• VIN:
  • FSA Title: POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE REPROGRAMMING
  • Field Service Action Number: 14E02

14S21 - my RCM broke. I got the short with associated dash lights and disabled restraints. This one's important, but there have been a shortage of parts. Mine malfunctioned, and it took 2 months to fix.

15B04 was just done to mine, with no obvious change

12M02 is the persistent warrant extension you can safely ignore.

14E02... I recently got the 15E03 PCM update, but I recall an update last year that didn't show on the invoice (but had to reprogram MyView). Also possible that this update qualifies you for a subsequent one (a la Microsoft updates).

Have fun,

Frank

Edited by fbov