Causes for Stop Safety Now Light

I have a late 2013 C-max with just over 112,000 miles on it. The other day the Stop Safety Now light came on and I had to tow the C-max home for the first time. Can anyone give causes for that light to come on? I have been looking this issue up but, thought that I would ask here as well. Thanks

WOW! You have high mileage CMAX like me(114K). I know it happens when you run out of gas, LOL.  Did you try to restart it? Sometimes shutting down and restarting will solve a computer problem. ;)  Did you extend your warranty?

Paul

I have a late 2013 C-max with just over 112,000 miles on it. The other day the Stop Safety Now light came on and I had to tow the C-max home for the first time. Can anyone give causes for that light to come on? I have been looking this issue up but, thought that I would ask here as well. Thanks

Do you have an OBDII reader to check the codes via FORScan?

Do you have an OBDII reader to check the codes via FORScan?

Most auto supply stores (Autozone) will read the OBDII codes for free.

They wont clear the codes but they might ;) go answer the phone while you clear them.

BUT FIRST have you checked all the fluids?

Most auto supply stores (Autozone) will read the OBDII codes for free.

Won't their readers only display DTCs that turn on the CEL? FORScan can read all the proprietary Ford codes that are stored with other issues, not just turning on the CEL. I thought that readers like at Autozone are really only for reading emissions related DTCs, thus the reason why those DTCs turn on the CEL...

Thanks for the replies, I have had a bad week with trying to find a ride and jockeying the children back and forth between home and school. After the car went into Stop Safely mode I had turned it off. Then I turned it back on to see if I could get the car off the road as it was blocking traffic. As I turned the key the ICE motor kicked in and no buzzer. I went from park to drive and it seemed fine for a mile and a half then the SNN light and buzzer came back on I noticed as I was rolling to a stop that my hybrid battery was low but regeneration was happening at this low speed. At this stop I was blocking traffic a little less but, still getting the evil eye from passers-by. With an intersection a few feet from me I put the car in neutral and pushed into the turning lane and waited for a free space (no light)

It's not clear whether the car could be driven with the SSN message and / or would not restart. Did you lose propulsion when the SSN message came on? No ICE and EV? Did the CEL come on? Would it not start?  Did you take the old battery to say Autozone and have them test it?  Also, did the new battery hold a charge?.  If you lost propulsion / power while driving, please report the issue to NHTSA as it is a safety issue. 

IMO, Ford likely doesn't want to begin replacing control modules without a high likelihood that it will fix the issue.  If voltage was too low, non-critical functions would stop / not function correctly.  The 12 V battery voltage entry positions are 11 V for most sensor monitoring OBD functions, 8 V for more critical functions, and 6 V for critical hybrid components. 

When the SSN light came on the car went to limb mode for seconds then died. After restart the car went about one and a half miles and lost everythinglasses as soon as the light came on. The SSN light has been on with every key turn ever since with no ICE or EV. The dealer is trying to figure out how to get the hybrid battery recharged as it sits. On the trickle charger overnight the original battery only got to 11.2 volts. With a snap-on battery load tester that I have the battery fell flat (4.5volt) no other warning lights on in the dash.

Unfortunately that error can point to a variety of causes. For me after nearly two weeks in the shop, it was traced to a component that discharges the battery in the event of a crash. That was January 2013.. It was resolved and hasn't recurred, but then again I'm only at 37,000 miles.

Wow, does that totally drain the high voltage battery?

Thank you I will ask for them. They said that af r error they changed plugs they got a fuel pump code. They are changing the fuel pump at a price of $543.76

I'm not liking the way this is going. :swear: Did you get the plugs and fuel pump? Post a Life Time Pic, I will Post it on my Life Time Thread. :shift:  :)

Paul

Yesterday was Friday and I got a phone call from the dealer. The fuel pump that they had ordered from an "aftermarket" source was not available and they would have to order a genuine Ford part. I asked why they would go aftermarket in the first place and his reply was price. Then I was hit with the "we will bill you the same price" but, the part will not be here for 5 to 7 days. So, if this works my car will be at the dealer for three weeks. If they are throwing parts at it I could have done the same thing in my garage. I had to fight to get a loaner car for a day the first week. The only thing that has been positive about this whole experience is that we(my wife and I) talked our way into another loaner car(2015 c-max). They are up in the air if I can have it until they are done with mine. Thanks for all the feedback. I am going to get the old pump and will post photos after I get it back. Has anyone called Ford customer assurance line in the owners manual and if so did it help?

You can contact our FORD SERVICE  REP., Meagan  give her your information and she will help you get your problems solved. :)

Paul

• 3 months later...