Rear Main Replaced needs it again!

rearmain2

rearmain1

rearmain3

Above are what I saw when I tired to change the oil today.  I saw one drop of red fluid hanging from the metal.  The leak isn't too severe because the removable plastic underneath it is dry.  It seems the rear main seal is leaking a tiny bit but the drop of oil suggests it is leaking transmission oil. Is this supposed to fall under the 8yr/100K Hybrid component warranty?  I also have GEICO

's mechanical breakdown coverage but not sure if this applies.

Edited by cmax-nynj

• 1 year later...

I had the rear main seal go out on my 2014 C-Max Energi SEL with around 68,000 miles just outside of warranty. The dealership stated that the rear main on the C-max is not a seal but rather some kind of sealant requiring the entire engine/transmission to get pulled, cleaning up the area, and reapplying more sealant to the same surface before reassembly. I can't see investing $1800 in fixing a seal that failed 68,000 miles into operation with the same poor design and hoping for different results. I really love the car but can't justify the expense to correct Ford's poor engineering choice. Does anyone know of a more permanent fix (i.e. some sort of after market gasket) that will more permanently fix the issue?

9 hours ago, Andy T said:

I had the rear main seal go out on my 2014 C-Max Energi SEL with around 68,000 miles just outside of warranty. The dealership stated that the rear main on the C-max is not a seal but rather some kind of sealant requiring the entire engine/transmission to get pulled, cleaning up the area, and reapplying more sealant to the same surface before reassembly. I can't see investing $1800 in fixing a seal that failed 68,000 miles into operation with the same poor design and hoping for different results. I really love the car but can't justify the expense to correct Ford's poor engineering choice. Does anyone know of a more permanent fix (i.e. some sort of after market gasket) that will more permanently fix the issue?

Ford used an RTV sealant.  There is no gasket.  Removing the engine / transmission is, IIRC, about 10.6 hours of labor.  You could likely find a non-Ford shop to do it at less.  There is a TSB on this.  See TSB 15-0174.  Are you sure that your transmission isn't failing?  Are there any unusual noises when the transmission is spinning?  See TSB 18-2328.  The transmission transfer shaft can bore a hole in the engine side damper cover causing transmission fluid to leak into the damper housing and thus leak out.  

https://ford.oemdtc.com/1036/transmission-fluid-leak-at-the-damper-housing-2013-2014-ford-lincoln

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10148717-9999.pdf

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer