CMAX HAS GREAT BRAKES!

Well last night I almost hit a deer going about 30mph. It ran in front of me and my wife, we had our seat belts on thank goodness, maybe at most 15 feet in front of us and I instinctively slammed on the brakes. We stopped instantly, things in back of the car came flying to the front of the car. I didn't think MADMAX could stop that fast. I thought for sure we were going to hit the Deer, it wasn't more than a foot away by then.  I had two 1"x6"x7' boards sitting on arm rest that came flying forward and hit my arm and hand, minor wounds, no damage to the car. LOL  I keep change, tire gauge, flash light, misc. tubes of neosporin, after bite and lotion in the tray on the floor well between seat and door which were launched into my foot well. MADMAX,Wife and Deer were uninjured. :yahoo:

Two years ago I did hit a Deer which cost $8K to fix MADMAX. It almost happened again. :drop: Thank goodness for Great Brakes. :)  

Paul

Well last night I almost hit a deer going about 30mph. It ran in front of me and my wife, we had our seat belts on thank goodness, maybe at most 15 feet in front of us and I instinctively slammed on the brakes. We stopped instantly, things in back of the car came flying to the front of the car. I didn't think MADMAX could stop that fast. I thought for sure we were going to hit the Deer, it wasn't more than a foot away by then.  I had two 1"x6"x7' boards sitting on arm rest that came flying forward and hit my arm and hand, minor wounds, no damage to the car. LOL  I keep change, tire gauge, flash light, misc. tubes of neosporin, after bite and lotion in the tray on the floor well between seat and door which were launched into my foot well. MADMAX,Wife and Deer were uninjured. :yahoo:

Two years ago I did hit a Deer which cost $8K to fix MADMAX. It almost happened again. :drop: Thank goodness for Great Brakes. :)  

Paul

Wow! I've come close to hitting a deer, so I know how scary that can be. I'm thrilled to hear how great the brakes were, and that you, your wife, and your MADMAX (awesome name, by the way) came out unscathed. I recommend heading to Ford Social to share your experience.

Meagan

I second the "great brakes" comment as well.  Two days ago I had squeezed into the left lane with everyone else to give space from the blue lights on the right shoulder when a bunch of tail lights ahead lit up like a Christmas tree.  We were all hitting the brakes hard and swerving to avoid the car in front - all because of what, I'm not sure.  Probably some highly indiscreet driver (trying hard to be nice here!) slowed down to have a look at the guy with a flat tire!  I was a bit shook up but the car did great - not one hint of loss of control.  As to the "move over or slow down" law, I'm becoming increasingly concerned as to how everyone crams madly into the "other" lane.  No one wants to risk just slowing down.  If you read the law, I guess you can see why - its rather vague at best.  Please understand that I'm all for keeping our emergency personnel safe, but the way it happens on the highway scares me almost every day I'm out there.  Not sure what the answer is (except that if you've moved over, don't slow down too!).

As to the deer, it just keeps getting worse.  Using cars to control the population is certainly not the answer.  I've banned all night driving as much as possible in hopes of at least getting another half second or so of warning.

I'm more ready every day for fully autonomous cars!

Same Michelins as came on the C-Max - 2nd set at about 10k miles.  Dry road and about 45 38 psi.

Edit: Checked and found they were at 38 - tire place obviously let air out when I had them rotated.  The guy had mentioned that pressures were high but didn't say they had deflated them.  He added that over-pressure would cause center wear!! :rant2: Of course I don't believe it!  He's still living in bias ply days.  I had run a lot of mid 40s pressures on my original set and they wore out on the edges!  Go figure.  They're back to 47 now.

Edited by SnowStorm

Glad you guys are are ok.

I don;t think anything really helps to deter them. Most of the time they are running and don't care and usually get hit. I';ve seen them standing right up next to the road and flash and beep horn and they don't even flinch.

We have a lot here in Western NY too. every morning is an obstacle course on the hiway, there's usually at least 1 or 2 hit laying on the shoulders and/or in various places on the road.  it's hunting season here (bow) and they are moving all over the place. I hit one years ago, and have come close a few times, saw one get hit right in front of us, we stopped to help the driver, no injuries, but the small SUV wasn't going anywhere, front end completely smashed, fluids leaking, air bags went off.

One of our trips somewhere, they had high fences and an opening in one area for them to cross with motion sensors and strobe lights or blue warning lights to warn you there may be deer present and/or crossing the road. interesting concept.

Edited by WNY

And it gets worse!  Since I posted last night a family member had a deer smash her car and now its headed to the body shop (the car that is - deer ran off).  Some things that might help are; (1) open entire season to bucks and does, (2) allow any rifle or bow any time, (3) reduce licensing costs to hunters and (4) allow wild venison to be sold.  The whole thing seems rigged to bring more money to (1) weapons manufacturers, (2) the state and (3) auto body shops, dealers (some cars are totaled) and rental car companies.

And it gets worse!  Since I posted last night a family member had a deer smash her car and now its headed to the body shop (the car that is - deer ran off).  Some things that might help are; (1) open entire season to bucks and does, (2) allow any rifle or bow any time, (3) reduce licensing costs to hunters and (4) allow wild venison to be sold.  The whole thing seems rigged to bring more money to (1) weapons manufacturers, (2) the state and (3) auto body shops, dealers (some cars are totaled) and rental car companies.

I wonder if the collision avoidance radar pick up Deer? :headscratch:  :shrug: My wife's Explorer has it.

Paul

Say it aint so, Bro Snow !!!      :cry: :cry: :cry:     :thud:

(((more accident avoidance technology will certainly be welcome)))

Nick

Well, on 2nd thought maybe I just want everybody else's car to be autonomous!

We need a air bag for the front of our Cars. LOL :drop:  Wait a minute, an animal detector that blasts aloud horn to scare them away. :doh:

Paul

Don't think the horn would help much but that air bag idea might work!  And, hey, we might just get our "5 mph bumpers" back again!

Well, on 2nd thought maybe I just want everybody else's car to be autonomous!

Don't think the horn would help much but that air bag idea might work!  And, hey, we might just get our "5 mph bumpers" back again!

We should send a suggestion to FORD for an air bag for the front of our cars to protect them. LOL :)

Paul

Horns really aren't very effective.  I literally just got home about 10 minutes ago after encountering a deer 1.5 miles from the house.  It was just standing in the road staring at me.  I blew the horn - virtually no response.  I'm slowing down almost to a stop - blew it again and it finally sauntered off to the other side as if to say, "Oh please, do I really have to get out of the way?"  Terrible.  I want a good sticky coating on my airbag so the deer is held fast and I can just drive on over to the processing plant.