Cargo floor / reverse lip

Hybrid dude

Here's another design feature which led to me to ask, 'what were they thinking?':

As you know, the cargo floor is not flat and has what I'll call a reverse lip, that is, the flip-up carpeted cover which reveals a bit of storage does not extend all the way to the hatch, which leaves a small area that is actually lower than the floor. If you have the hatch closed and look at the cargo floor while leaning over the back seat, you'll see there are gaps on either side, as well as a trench in the middle.

The reason I bring this up is that on several occasions, my cargo, groceries, etc. have shifted and unfortunately on our last trip, a gallon of milk had shifted in such a way as to fall out onto the ground as I opened the hatch. The container broke, of course. Yes, one could say I should 'bag' my milk or perhaps use the built-in cargo nets. These are good ideas but why didn't they just make the floor meet the hatch evenly? I did notice the two D-rings onto which one can attach various straps, etc. These would be inaccessible if the floor were flush with the hatch.

I would guess that this issue is specific to our hybrid and Energi versions, as the European versions didn't have the battery pack and perhaps do have a flat floor, though I will try to find some photos of those versions.

Car manufacturers really frustrate me with how they treat the rear cargo area. It is as if they never ask anyone how they are used in the real world.

The only vehicle I had experience with which got the rear cargo area completely right was the original model of the Hyundai Santa Fe (the vehicle I traded-in for my C-Max). Besides coming with a sliding cargo cover (which the C-Max has, thank goodness), it also included a nice cargo net as original equipment. The back of the rear seats had two D-rings on them, as well as the outboard corners of the cargo area floor, for the attachment of the cargo net. The cargo net kept your grocery bags secure and upright, and you didn't have to worry about your groceries spilling onto the floor and potentially falling out the back as Hybrid Dude experienced.

I see Ford offers both a large and small cargo container, as well as a cargo net, but all are accessories at added cost, not original equipment.

Edited by BobJustBob

My husband has a cargo net on his Lexus SUV and we have had things like milk jugs and large jam jars come crashing out and breaking--because I over filled the net with groceries. I am going to buy some soft cargo organizers (collapsible boxes) for my C-Max. I saw some in the Ford Custom Accessories magazine for the Mercury Montego. They have straps on them to fasten them. They might fit, but I will research it more when my car gets here.

When I was researching what car to buy a couple of months ago, I test drove a Focus ST. When I gave it the once over to see if the cargo area would work for me, I discovered a couple of things. First, Ford decided that the ST trim level needed to have a full size spare, which required a raised cargo floor, cutting into usable cargo space. Second, the panel that covers the spare felt like it was cardboard wrapped in mouse fur. Very flimsy. Third, I could not find a single D-ring tie down point anywhere in the cargo area, just shallow plastic hook-shaped details molded into the side panels. The cargo area in the C-Max is light-years ahead of the Focus ST.

I have a set of black plastic rectangular tubs that I use for keeping grocery bags from spilling their cargo. They are 3 different sizes and they can nest together to create bins of different sizes and shapes. They have carpet-grabbing little teeth molded into the bottom corners to keep the tubs from moving around. I got them here: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/travel/autoTravel?productId=10024142&N=259

Thanks for all the comments and info. I love the cardboard and mouse fur description.

Not that it really matters but I've attached the best photo I could find of a UK spec. cargo area. It's difficult to be certain but it seems that cargo area has what I'd call a normal 'lip', meaning the cargo floor is lower than the sill.

If I don't go the container or strap route and even if I do, I think I can make a 'filler' piece, nothing too heavy duty, perhaps even attached to the existing flip-top with hook and loop fasteners.

post-62-0-60764800-1353800039_thumb.jpg