2016 Prius first drive - Consumer Reports

djc

Consumer Reports has done a first drive of the redesigned 2016 Prius, with pricing, prelim mpg, and some impressions (not a full test):

http://www.consumerreports.org/cars/behind-the-wheel-of-the-more-efficient-2016-toyota-prius-hybrid

Highlights:

On sale in January 2016.   Plug-in sometime later.  AWD model available in Japan only - "under consideration" for US.

$24,200 for the base Prius 2 trimline; $30,000 for the Prius 4 Touring.
"Only the base Prius retains a nickel-metal battery; all other versions get a more compact and advanced lithium-ion battery."  

"The EPA estimate for combined fuel economy is 52 mpg. An Eco trimline, which will account for about 10 percent of sales, is rated at 56 mpg due to limited options, higher tire pressure, and weight-saving tweaks such as eliminating a spare tire. The outgoing Prius got 44 mpg overall in Consumer Reports’ test cycle."   CR got unverified 50mpg on mixed test drive in the 2016.

[implies that one could bump mpg on many cars using similar tweaks, e.g. tire pressure.  It will be interesting to see what the pressure is on the ECO model compared to regular.]

"As before, the Prius can propel itself solely on electric power, typically up to about 20 mph"

Ride and handling improved; interior "vastly"  improved. 

Fair enough, but did anyone actually like the look in any previous year?  How would anyone even describe the previous look?  Nondescript?  I might agree with you, but at least new look has some style, so someone could, at least in theory, like it...

I think you have a point there, My daughter has 2012 and I wasn't excited about it either. I don't like the straight lines on the front. It will be interesting to see what CR gets for FE. :) 

Paul 

... Ride and handling improved; interior "vastly"  improved. ...

This is what interests me.  The previous Prius was way to cramped for me.  A little over 10% improvement is not something I get all excited about ( the unverifed mixed driving numbers ) though it is pretty impressive.

I think the key line, for me, is: "Due to the car’s lower stance and seating position, getting in and out of the 2016 Toyota Prius hybrid requires a bit more ducking, and more of a controlled fall than a proper sitting motion." I like the ease of entry/exit I get from my C-Max, I don't want a car I have to do a "controlled fall" to get into.

Detroit Free Press has more detail on mpg:

"...Eco model projected to rate 58 m.p.g. in the city, 53 on the highway and 56 combined.

The Eco model strips out features like power seats and spare tire to reduce weight 65 pounds versus other Prius models.

The rest of the Prius line should get 54 m.p.g. city, 50 highway and 52 combined, according to Toyota"

As gas heads below $2 a gallon.  Seems they have reduced air drag and reduced drivetrain losses. Surprising losing 65lbs would make a noticeable mpg difference, especially on highway.

edit: more from digital trends (Toyota is trickling info at the LA Auto Show):

excerpts:

" Toyota claims the new body’s 0.24 coefficient of drag is the lowest of any mass production vehicle on the market. While that’s certainly impressive, the current generation is only slightly off that pace, with a coefficient of drag of 0.25 ....

...the car’s 0 to 60 mph sprint will remain the same (approximately 10.0 seconds).

The battery is now underneath the rear seats (it was previously located in the trunk), which adds trunk space, and the electric motor is mounted on a parallel shaft, which reduces friction loss.

... 1-inch lower ride height, 0.6-inch wider stance, 2.4-inch longer body, lower center of gravity from its battery relocation...." supposed to improve handling.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/2016-toyota-prius-first-drive/

I haven't seen any info on Prius V model.

Edited by djc

Detroit Free Press has more detail on mpg:

"...Eco model projected to rate 58 m.p.g. in the city, 53 on the highway and 56 combined.

The Eco model strips out features like power seats and spare tire to reduce weight 65 pounds versus other Prius models.

The rest of the Prius line should get 54 m.p.g. city, 50 highway and 52 combined, according to Toyota"

As gas heads below $2 a gallon.  Seems they have reduced air drag and reduced drivetrain losses. Surprising losing 65lbs would make a noticeable mpg difference, especially on highway.

edit: more from digital trends (Toyota is trickling info at the LA Auto Show):

excerpts:

" Toyota claims the new body’s 0.24 coefficient of drag is the lowest of any mass production vehicle on the market. While that’s certainly impressive, the current generation is only slightly off that pace, with a coefficient of drag of 0.25 ....

...the car’s 0 to 60 mph sprint will remain the same (approximately 10.0 seconds).

The battery is now underneath the rear seats (it was previously located in the trunk), which adds trunk space, and the electric motor is mounted on a parallel shaft, which reduces friction loss.

... 1-inch lower ride height, 0.6-inch wider stance, 2.4-inch longer body, lower center of gravity from its battery relocation...." supposed to improve handling.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/2016-toyota-prius-first-drive/

I haven't seen any info on Prius V model.

Toyota is not being entirely truthful, the 0.24 CoD is tied for the lowest with the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid and the Tesla Model S.

I'll also be interested in the difference in fuel economy between the Prius with a LiPo battery, and the base model that still has the older battery, as well as the weight difference. 

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/13/2016-toyota-prius-tech-improvements/

"The exhaust heat recirculation system has also been improved and made more compact. This recycles exhaust heat from the engine into the coolant to be reused in the heaters and to warm the engine. Cold weather fuel efficiency has also been improved by introducing an engine coolant selector valve and adding a new system which accelerates engine heating."

I wish I had this in the C-Max

"The exhaust heat recirculation system has also been improved and made more compact. This recycles exhaust heat from the engine into the coolant to be reused in the heaters and to warm the engine. Cold weather fuel efficiency has also been improved by introducing an engine coolant selector valve and adding a new system which accelerates engine heating."

We kind of do, They are called Grill Covers. LOL ;)

Paul

They may have revampted it, but the first part of this has been Prius technology since at least Gen 2, and I think Gen 1. Ford doesn't have it because Toyota owns the patent, and that is not one they desired to "trade" in return for Ford tech. (FWIW, Ford and Toyota did trade use on a number of hybrid patents back in the 2006 time frame. They discovered they had been duing simultaneous development of the same basic hybrid system. Thus the HSD and Ford hybrid systems are similar, but not identical.)

But wait ............ :headscratch:  :headscratch:  :headscratch: ............ you're not trading in old Betsy, your 2015 Priii, she was sooo good (well almost good).  Surely you would not try to fop it off on your beautiful wife, naw......................... you must be trading it in for the new sleeeeeeeeeeeeek 2016. 

Always the best for the Jus man.  Jus-A-CMax that is !  (at least we think ? or has he doubled down on another Jaguar, hmmm)

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

But wait ............ :headscratch:  :headscratch:  :headscratch: ............ you're not trading in old Betsy, your 2015 Priii, she was sooo good (well almost good).  Surely you would not try to fop it off on your beautiful wife, naw......................... you must be trading it in for the new sleeeeeeeeeeeeek 2016. 

Always the best for the Jus man.  Jus-A-CMax that is !  (at least we think ? or has he doubled down on another Jaguar, hmmm)

Nick

..down to 1 Jaguar. Mine. I am tempted...at least I should test drive........oh......I woke up...nevermind...wrong thread....carry on...nuthin to see from me..... :pimp:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I can't remember where I saw this (forgive me if it was posted here) but Toyata is running a Prius ad during the Super Bowl, "Heck on Wheels":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxIIi6SVuII&ab_channel=ToyotaUSA

Be nice to see the C-Max get that kind of love from Ford. I'm interested to hear what people here think of this ad, this seems to be a rather polarizing commercial -- most I've seen seem to either love it or hate it.

I have seen a few of these ads for the Prius 4.   The other one I saw was from the internet streaming.  I think it was Autoline Detroit.  That one had the Prius powersliding and spraying water/mud at a big 4 wheel drive truck.   Good marketing to say that it is more performance based now. 

I am really interested to see what Ford has up its sleeves for the C-Max replacement.  I think it is about a year away.   Maybe we will see it at the next Auto show here in Detroit (Jan 2017)?  They sure don't seem to be doing much with the C-Max as far as improvements for the current model. 

I have seen a few of these ads for the Prius 4.   The other one I saw was from the internet streaming.  I think it was Autoline Detroit.  That one had the Prius powersliding and spraying water/mud at a big 4 wheel drive truck.   Good marketing to say that it is more performance based now. 

I am really interested to see what Ford has up its sleeves for the C-Max replacement.  I think it is about a year away.   Maybe we will see it at the next Auto show here in Detroit (Jan 2017)?  They sure don't seem to be doing much with the C-Max as far as improvements for the current model. 

Considering the Euro redesign has been out a while (and not even a rumor about an updated US model), I'm still not sure they will even continue production. Let's hope so, my lease is up in 2017.