Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

2-4 MPG Improvement in HWY FE After Using NOS Octane Booster

MPG gas Octane NOS

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 2,979 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ingot Silver
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:48 AM

NOSOctanebooster
After using NOS Octane Booster Racing Formula a month ago and five fillups later my HWY FE has increased 2-4 MPG. It doesn't appeared to improve City MPG much. This morning I went to the Atlanta Airport and back on I-85, about 70 miles, Temp 56*F with some light rain. Speeds were between 80mph and 60mph most of the time and averaged close to 56 MPG, then when you add in the loss of 3 mpg from outside temp of 56*F + light rain it just makes it that much more amazing.  I'm wondering if the ICE computer learned to run more efficient after using NOS Octane Booster. :headscratch:

It would be interesting to see if anyone else can duplicate my HWY MPG improvement by filling up with Premium and adding a bottle of NOS Octane Booster.  It is available at Walmart and most Auto Parts Stores for $10-$15.  :shift:  :)

Paul

PS My HWY MPG is almost as high as CITY MPG.

Edited by ptjones, 19 November 2015 - 10:34 AM.

• obob likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 699 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • My C-MAX's Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 18 November 2015 - 01:15 PM

Maybe it does injector/cylinder cleaning which helped MPG - not just octane boost.  Anyway, I'm confused about what you used.  You say "racing formula" (as in picture) but the prices I see for that are like $70.  The "Max Street" version is about $10 but only has half the octane boost.  Which did you use?  Also wondering why the NOS site says "racing formula" is not for street use (Walmart says nothing about that restriction).  It seems my mileage has dropped a bit so have been wondering about using an injector cleaner and which one is best.

#3 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 2,979 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 18 November 2015 - 02:13 PM

Maybe it does injector/cylinder cleaning which helped MPG - not just octane boost.  Anyway, I'm confused about what you used.  You say "racing formula" (as in picture) but the prices I see for that are like $70.  The "Max Street" version is about $10 but only has half the octane boost.  Which did you use?  Also wondering why the NOS site says "racing formula" is not for street use (Walmart says nothing about that restriction).  It seems my mileage has dropped a bit so have been wondering about using an injector cleaner and which one is best.

Summit Racing is $12.99, O'Riley's, NAPA and Advanced Auto $14.99.  I thought I got it at Walmart for around $10 about 2 months ago. ;)  I'm sure injector cleaning could make a difference, but last time in used Tectron Injector Cleaner and it didn't make a difference.  The nagging question is why am I getting better HWY FE for a month,than I have ever gotten, 112K mi. Total , weird! ;)

Paul

#4 OFFLINE   10UHCSEL

10UHCSEL

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 6 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationEast TN
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ruby Red
  • Current Vehicle:C Max SEL

Posted 18 November 2015 - 05:22 PM

Might try any of the gas treatments available, whether STP, or Supertech, WM's brand, it may or may not help but these only cost about $2/bottle and usually treat 21 gallons per bottle.  I use the Supertech brand in my vehicles during the winter time to offset the winter blend gasoline, and it reportedly cleans the injectors and such.  My mpg is usually the same as my summer mpg or a bit better.  I've read where winter blend gas knocks the mpg's down 10-20%

#5 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 2,979 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 18 November 2015 - 07:40 PM

Might try any of the gas treatments available, whether STP, or Supertech, WM's brand, it may or may not help but these only cost about $2/bottle and usually treat 21 gallons per bottle.  I use the Supertech brand in my vehicles during the winter time to offset the winter blend gasoline, and it reportedly cleans the injectors and such.  My mpg is usually the same as my summer mpg or a bit better.  I've read where winter blend gas knocks the mpg's down 10-20%

Winter blend is more like 2% decrease in MPG's. Link: http://www.bellperfo...-Blend-Gasoline.

Here is a link to Octane Booster Testing: http://www.lotusmarq...hey-really-work.  Practically speaking anything cheaper than +$10 is just cleaning the injectors. I did call STP to find out about their  Octane Booster and they said it had Jet Fuel in it like that was a good thing.  I Laughed :lol2: .  They didn't know what Jet Fuel is so I told them it is Diesel with an additive to keep the Diesel from jelling at low temperatures.  :)

Paul

#6 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 699 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:16 PM

Plan to try Red Line SI-1 cleaner tomorrow - will see what happens.  Pep Boys stocks it.

#7 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 2,979 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 19 November 2015 - 09:51 AM

Plan to try Red Line SI-1 cleaner tomorrow - will see what happens.  Pep Boys stocks it.

I didn't find any testing been done on it. Looking forward to hearing of your results. :)

Paul

#8 OFFLINE   high mileage daddy

high mileage daddy

• 15 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:2013 c-max

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:42 AM

Thanks for the information. I think I will try the Nos racing version when I get my car back from dealer. Did you notice any smoke or smell from tail pipe or any indication of cleaning additives?
  • ptjones likes this

#9 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 490 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 21 November 2015 - 02:08 PM

I am satisfied with just regular gas, however, there does seem to be people that get the cost down with home brewing.

https://www.google.c..._sm=93&ie=UTF-8

http://www.gnttype.o...anebooster.html

http://www.clubwrx.n...r-formulas.html

http://forum.miata.n...ad.php?t=417082

#10 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 2,979 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 21 November 2015 - 04:38 PM

Thanks for the information. I think I will try the Nos racing version when I get my car back from dealer. Did you notice any smoke or smell from tail pipe or any indication of cleaning additives?

No, I didn't notice anything I checked my oil level and it hasn't changed for 8600 ICE miles, still medium brown. :)  Hope you get your car back soon.

I am satisfied with just regular gas, however, there does seem to be people that get the cost down with home brewing.

https://www.google.c..._sm=93&ie=UTF-8

http://www.gnttype.o...anebooster.html

http://www.clubwrx.n...r-formulas.html

http://forum.miata.n...ad.php?t=417082

I don't consider price a factor if you only do it once, if it works. :)

And again I made trips on the Atlanta FWY's yesterday and today averaging 55mpg for 250mi. Temps were 45-55*F and the funny thing is I was improving my FE over what I had before I got on the FWY. My current average on this tank is 55.5mpg for 508mi, my fifth tank after using NOS Octane Booster. :)

Paul

Edited by ptjones, 21 November 2015 - 04:39 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   10UHCSEL

10UHCSEL

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 6 posts
  • LocationEast TN
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ruby Red
  • Current Vehicle:C Max SEL

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:50 AM

Winter blend is more like 2% decrease in MPG's. Link: http://www.bellperfo...-Blend-Gasoline.

Here is a link to Octane Booster Testing: http://www.lotusmarq...hey-really-work.  Practically speaking anything cheaper than +$10 is just cleaning the injectors. I did call STP to find out about their  Octane Booster and they said it had Jet Fuel in it like that was a good thing.  I Laughed :lol2: .  They didn't know what Jet Fuel is so I told them it is Diesel with an additive to keep the Diesel from jelling at low temperatures.  :)

Paul

The Bell Performance link states 2% more energy in the summer blend, just says less mpg's with winter blend.

• ptjones likes this

#12 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 2,979 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:01 PM

Saw  NOS Octane Booster Racing Formula  at Walmart tonight for $9.97. :shift: :) 

Paul

#13 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 2,979 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:19 PM

Thanksgiving Day I made my usual trip up I-85/I-285/I-75(70mi.) and traffic was surprisingly light with no Semi's for drafting.  Also speeds were very fast 70-80 mph most of the time with a range of 60-85 mph, outside temps 68-70*F.  Given these conditions I still averaged 48.9 mpg!  :)

Paul

• obob likes this

#14 OFFLINE   okashira

okashira

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 54 posts
  • Locationusa
  • My C-MAX's Color:Sterling Gray
  • Current Vehicle:energi

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:32 PM

Thanksgiving Day I made my usual trip up I-85/I-285/I-75(70mi.) and traffic was surprisingly light with no Semi's for drafting.  Also speeds were very fast 70-80 mph most of the time with a range of 60-85 mph, outside temps 68-70*F.  Given these conditions I still averaged 48.9 mpg!  :)

Paul

70-80 my 2013 energi would have gotten 35mpg at 70F.

#15 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 838 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ice Storm
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:53 PM

70-80 my 2013 energi would have gotten 35mpg at 70F.

I took a long trip to NM from CA, mostly at 75 or so average MPH. I got a little over 36. I have the Energi, which has a slightly less efficient final gear ratio for some reason.

Edited by stevedebi, 07 December 2015 - 12:54 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 2,979 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:14 PM

I took a long trip to NM from CA, mostly at 75 or so average MPH. I got a little over 36. I have the Energi, which has a slightly less efficient final gear ratio for some reason.

That sounds about right using reg. gas, not Grill Covers, wheel covers and 50 psi tires. I think I get about 6 to 8 mpg better. :)

Paul

#17 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 838 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:56 AM

That sounds about right using reg. gas, not Grill Covers, wheel covers and 50 psi tires. I think I get about 6 to 8 mpg better. :)

Paul

Yes, regular gas. Don't know about wheel covers (I have the stock alloy wheels), and I do keep 50 PSI.

#18 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,293 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 09 December 2015 - 11:16 AM

There's a post with a picture of Paul and Kellytoons as I recall, standing in front of their cars. Paul has add skirts to the rear wheel well, a well know drag reduction technique. Early Honda Insights had them, too.

Frank

• ptjones likes this

#19 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 2,979 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:30 PM

You could look at my images:

Wheel well cover
Tire Air dam1
Rear Air Dam

:)

Paul

#20 OFFLINE   WNY

WNY

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 99 posts
  • LocationCuba, NY
  • Current Vehicle:F150,Mustang, Escape

Posted 09 December 2015 - 05:00 PM

Gonna try some of the octane booster on our trip to Chatenooga, TN in a couple weeks. That will be a good long drive test. with snow tires and center grill cover. 46psi tires. When we came back from Nashville, it avg. 46.9mpg. :) 

• ptjones likes this

Custom Search

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MPG, gas, Octane, NOS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·