2-4 MPG Improvement in HWY FE After Using NOS Octane Booster

ptjones

NOSOctanebooster

After using NOS Octane Booster Racing Formula a month ago and five fillups later my HWY FE has increased 2-4 MPG. It doesn't appeared to improve City MPG much. This morning I went to the Atlanta Airport and back on I-85, about 70 miles, Temp 56*F with some light rain. Speeds were between 80mph and 60mph most of the time and averaged close to 56 MPG, then when you add in the loss of 3 mpg from outside temp of 56*F + light rain it just makes it that much more amazing.  I'm wondering if the ICE computer learned to run more efficient after using NOS Octane Booster. :headscratch:

It would be interesting to see if anyone else can duplicate my HWY MPG improvement by filling up with Premium and adding a bottle of NOS Octane Booster.  It is available at Walmart and most Auto Parts Stores for $10-$15.  :shift:  :)

Paul

PS My HWY MPG is almost as high as CITY MPG.
Edited by ptjones

Maybe it does injector/cylinder cleaning which helped MPG - not just octane boost.  Anyway, I'm confused about what you used.  You say "racing formula" (as in picture) but the prices I see for that are like $70.  The "Max Street" version is about $10 but only has half the octane boost.  Which did you use?  Also wondering why the NOS site says "racing formula" is not for street use (Walmart says nothing about that restriction).  It seems my mileage has dropped a bit so have been wondering about using an injector cleaner and which one is best.

Maybe it does injector/cylinder cleaning which helped MPG - not just octane boost.  Anyway, I'm confused about what you used.  You say "racing formula" (as in picture) but the prices I see for that are like $70.  The "Max Street" version is about $10 but only has half the octane boost.  Which did you use?  Also wondering why the NOS site says "racing formula" is not for street use (Walmart says nothing about that restriction).  It seems my mileage has dropped a bit so have been wondering about using an injector cleaner and which one is best.

Summit Racing is $12.99, O'Riley's, NAPA and Advanced Auto $14.99.  I thought I got it at Walmart for around $10 about 2 months ago. ;)  I'm sure injector cleaning could make a difference, but last time in used Tectron Injector Cleaner and it didn't make a difference.  The nagging question is why am I getting better HWY FE for a month,than I have ever gotten, 112K mi. Total , weird! ;)

Paul

Might try any of the gas treatments available, whether STP, or Supertech, WM's brand, it may or may not help but these only cost about $2/bottle and usually treat 21 gallons per bottle.  I use the Supertech brand in my vehicles during the winter time to offset the winter blend gasoline, and it reportedly cleans the injectors and such.  My mpg is usually the same as my summer mpg or a bit better.  I've read where winter blend gas knocks the mpg's down 10-20%

Might try any of the gas treatments available, whether STP, or Supertech, WM's brand, it may or may not help but these only cost about $2/bottle and usually treat 21 gallons per bottle.  I use the Supertech brand in my vehicles during the winter time to offset the winter blend gasoline, and it reportedly cleans the injectors and such.  My mpg is usually the same as my summer mpg or a bit better.  I've read where winter blend gas knocks the mpg's down 10-20%

Winter blend is more like 2% decrease in MPG's. Link: http://www.bellperformance.com/blog/bid/49483/Fuel-Mileage-Dropping-Blame-The-Winter-Blend-Gasoline.

Here is a link to Octane Booster Testing: http://www.lotusmarques.com/info/technical/29-general/723-octane-boosters-do-they-really-work.  Practically speaking anything cheaper than +$10 is just cleaning the injectors. I did call STP to find out about their  Octane Booster and they said it had Jet Fuel in it like that was a good thing.  I Laughed :lol2: .  They didn't know what Jet Fuel is so I told them it is Diesel with an additive to keep the Diesel from jelling at low temperatures.  :)

Paul

Thanks for the information. I think I will try the Nos racing version when I get my car back from dealer. Did you notice any smoke or smell from tail pipe or any indication of cleaning additives?

No, I didn't notice anything I checked my oil level and it hasn't changed for 8600 ICE miles, still medium brown. :)  Hope you get your car back soon.

I don't consider price a factor if you only do it once, if it works. :)

And again I made trips on the Atlanta FWY's yesterday and today averaging 55mpg for 250mi. Temps were 45-55*F and the funny thing is I was improving my FE over what I had before I got on the FWY. My current average on this tank is 55.5mpg for 508mi, my fifth tank after using NOS Octane Booster. :)

Paul

Edited by ptjones

Winter blend is more like 2% decrease in MPG's. Link: http://www.bellperformance.com/blog/bid/49483/Fuel-Mileage-Dropping-Blame-The-Winter-Blend-Gasoline.

Here is a link to Octane Booster Testing: http://www.lotusmarques.com/info/technical/29-general/723-octane-boosters-do-they-really-work.  Practically speaking anything cheaper than +$10 is just cleaning the injectors. I did call STP to find out about their  Octane Booster and they said it had Jet Fuel in it like that was a good thing.  I Laughed :lol2: .  They didn't know what Jet Fuel is so I told them it is Diesel with an additive to keep the Diesel from jelling at low temperatures.  :)

Paul

The Bell Performance link states 2% more energy in the summer blend, just says less mpg's with winter blend.

Thanksgiving Day I made my usual trip up I-85/I-285/I-75(70mi.) and traffic was surprisingly light with no Semi's for drafting.  Also speeds were very fast 70-80 mph most of the time with a range of 60-85 mph, outside temps 68-70*F.  Given these conditions I still averaged 48.9 mpg!  :)

Paul

70-80 my 2013 energi would have gotten 35mpg at 70F.

I took a long trip to NM from CA, mostly at 75 or so average MPH. I got a little over 36. I have the Energi, which has a slightly less efficient final gear ratio for some reason.

That sounds about right using reg. gas, not Grill Covers, wheel covers and 50 psi tires. I think I get about 6 to 8 mpg better. :)

Paul

I find it hard to judge differences on the highway. Too many confounding factors, like wind speed. When driving Rochester to Baton Rouge, and back, mileage didn't vary with temperature (it was February), it varied by direction. To BR is against the prevailing winds, coming back, the wind was at our back.

I guess I'm saying, YMMV, or not.

HAve fun,

Frank

Here are the results from testing from testing with and without Grill Covers with temperature change.

post-143-0-09219300-1356987763_thumb.jpg

One trip going across AR about 200 miles ending up West Memphis for gas temps started at 65*F and ended up at 32*F.  It was amazing to watch my gas mileage go down 6 mpg in three hours of driving and that was a 600 hundred drop in elevation and not to windy. ;)

Paul

Paul, this is GPS- and OBD-based data, right?

That  is, you're using your GPS as a speedometer, and the OBD scanner to measure fuel consumption simultaneously. This allows you to take accurate data over short stretches, without the confounding factors found in all trip data and tank data, like starting and stopping. That ability, in turn, allows you to select test conditions that show the greatest effect (within reason).

I say this because such data cannot be replicated without similar instruments. We won't see a big an effect in tank or trip mileages because of lower speeds, more fuel used overcoming inertia, starts and stops, cold engines, etc. Improvement, yes, just tempering expectations.

Frank

Brochure C Max Hybrid Cover Set 11 13

I used GPS to monitor speed and used Trip Summary for distance,EV mi., Regen mi., MPG and Brake score. Used car's Temp Gauge to monitor Outside Temp.  I have a 14.2mi. FWY Loop from my shop and back.  Some of the Data Points are an average of two or more tests. I also controlled starting temp to eliminate that as variable.  I did this testing almost three years ago.  :)

Paul

Edited by ptjones