Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Grill Cover Sets Available To Improve Winter MPG's

Grill Cover

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   SoCalJT

SoCalJT

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 9 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationCA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid

Posted 19 April 2018 - 05:22 PM

Bought these grille and rear wheel aerodynamic covers back in January 2018 from ptjones, before I even bought my car since I was still in the market for one. Then the car arrived from the freight shipper from outta state and with an unexpected majorly cracked sunroof and that took some time to get sorted out and replaced. I then wanted to drive the car a full tank before before adding the mods and I wasn't doing much driving at the time and I let my dad use the car more than I did since he's in the market for another car and he only has our work truck to drive around currently and the mpg isn't great at all (especially compared to a hybrid lol).

So I plasti dipped the covers satin black (as I didn't want to see the velcro and/or 3m tape, plus I like the red/black contrast) and installed them at the end of last week finally before my 

So here I am on only my 2nd tank of gas when I installed these and have driven the car ~350 miles with them on.

I had to remove the lower grille less than 50 miles after installing it, as the car warned me the engine was getting too warm... it was ~65* F outside in the evening and I was driving on the freeway during a 90 mile trip when it happened. So I pulled over and off it went and temperatures dropped back to normal operating temperature right away.

I reckon I won't need the lower grille block off much at all here being inland in southern California with the heat we get here, maybe only for a month or 2 in the winter when we get some cold fronts.

CLICK TO ENLARGE:

Attached File  IMG_4039.jpg   165.71KB   1 downloads Attached File  IMG_4036.jpg   159.47KB   1 downloads Attached File  IMG_4035.jpg   159.13KB   0 downloads Attached File  IMG_4096.jpg   121.64KB   0 downloads

Edited by SoCalJT, 19 April 2018 - 05:51 PM.

• ptjones, obob, kyledamron and 1 other like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   raadsel

raadsel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 612 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:03 AM

Bought these grille and rear wheel aerodynamic covers back in January 2018 from ptjones, before I even bought my car since I was still in the market for one. Then the car arrived from the freight shipper from outta state and with an unexpected majorly cracked sunroof and that took some time to get sorted out and replaced. I then wanted to drive the car a full tank before before adding the mods and I wasn't doing much driving at the time and I let my dad use the car more than I did since he's in the market for another car and he only has our work truck to drive around currently and the mpg isn't great at all (especially compared to a hybrid lol).

So I plasti dipped the covers satin black (as I didn't want to see the velcro and/or 3m tape, plus I like the red/black contrast) and installed them at the end of last week finally before my 

So here I am on only my 2nd tank of gas when I installed these and have driven the car ~350 miles with them on.

I had to remove the lower grille less than 50 miles after installing it, as the car warned me the engine was getting too warm... it was ~65* F outside in the evening and I was driving on the freeway during a 90 mile trip when it happened. So I pulled over and off it went and temperatures dropped back to normal operating temperature right away.

I reckon I won't need the lower grille block off much at all here being inland in southern California with the heat we get here, maybe only for a month or 2 in the winter when we get some cold fronts.

CLICK TO ENLARGE:

attachicon.gifIMG_4039.jpg attachicon.gifIMG_4036.jpg attachicon.gifIMG_4035.jpg attachicon.gifIMG_4096.jpg

They look really good in black, good job.

• obob likes this

#23 ONLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,516 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:12 AM

What WT were you seeing? I don't worry about it until it gets to 230*F.  The alarm goes off at 246*F and the system is design for 264*F before it boils. :sad:  I didn't think about it, but I could have used black LEXAN. When New the Grill Covers aren't very noticeable. The Black looks good. :) What's the MPG's looking like on this tank compared to last? 

Paul

#24 OFFLINE   SoCalJT

SoCalJT

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:43 AM

What WT were you seeing? I don't worry about it until it gets to 230*F.  The alarm goes off at 246*F and the system is design for 264*F before it boils. :sad:  I didn't think about it, but I could have used black LEXAN. When New the Grill Covers aren't very noticeable. The Black looks good. :) What's the MPG's looking like on this tank compared to last? 

Paul

I'm not sure what the temp was, I pulled over as soon as the warning light came on and I knew I had to remove the lower cover.

We have LOTS of hills here in SoCal, both on the streets and highways... so it's been hard to push for higher mpg considering some of these uphill battles that just pull away the mpg.

I've been hovering around the 43 mpg mark for the most part and that's with I'd say 75% highway driving.

Edited by SoCalJT, 24 April 2018 - 11:43 AM.

• ptjones likes this

#25 OFFLINE   joshg678

joshg678

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 155 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationEarth
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid

Posted 24 April 2018 - 02:18 PM

Black does look Really Nice.  

The Big one kept falling off for me with the license plate (Once wind, another car wash that i didn't know was automated [used to be hand wash]) so i don't have any on my car currently since its been mostly above 50.

#26 ONLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,516 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 24 April 2018 - 04:49 PM

The Big one kept falling off for me with the license plate (Once wind, another car wash that i didn't know was automated [used to be hand wash]) so i don't have any on my car currently since its been mostly above 50.

You need to screw on permanently the center Grill Cover so if can't come off, no reason to take it off. All the cooling can be done with the bottom one.

I'm not sure what the temp was, I pulled over as soon as the warning light came on and I knew I had to remove the lower cover.

We have LOTS of hills here in SoCal, both on the streets and highways... so it's been hard to push for higher mpg considering some of these uphill battles that just pull away the mpg.

I've been hovering around the 43 mpg mark for the most part and that's with I'd say 75% highway driving.

You can setup My View with Empower of left and WT on right side.  Did the buzzer go off?

Paul

#27 OFFLINE   SoCalJT

SoCalJT

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 24 April 2018 - 08:59 PM

I honestly ditched the velcro that came with the kit (no offense to ptjones), but most of the pieces I got the peel away paper seemed to be permanently adhered to the back and ended up just ripping it apart.

I have a bunch of heavy duty 3M dual lock velcro (snaps in) that I use for work and just cut up a bunch of pieces larger than supplied for solid holding power... but small enough to fit between the grille slots and just doubled them up due to the depth of the grille. Over 500 miles on them so far (mostly highway doing 65-70 mph) and solid as can be.

You can get them at your local home depot/lowes.

https://www.homedepo...7020/206180471 

med_gallery_5084_153_1072856.jpg

Edited by SoCalJT, 24 April 2018 - 09:02 PM.

#28 OFFLINE   SoCalJT

SoCalJT

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:01 PM

You can setup My View with Empower of left and WT on right side.  Did the buzzer go off?

Paul

Good to know, thanks! The buzzer and notification did go off.

Custom Search

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Grill Cover

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·