Cmax doesn't seem to use battery power that much

Taiwwa

I just discovered today what the little button on the shifter does. Pretty nice when going down a long hill, of which there are a lot here in WV. It's like engine-braking on a stick shift, except you gain energy :) And you don't have to drive a stick which really sucks in stop and go traffic.

It takes awhile to learn all the special things this car can do.   When learned you can get impressive FE.  It all takes practice. :) 

Paul 

Exactly right, the game is all about what you do with that energy. This is how I think of it.

The first step is getting as much energy as possible out of the fuel. Look up "brake specific fuel economy" (BSFC) to learn about the factors that drive it. You can get a measure of how well you're doing, by calculating "ICE MPG."

ICE MPG = (total miles - EV miles)/fuel used.

In this case, the lower the better. I get down to 16.5 ICE MPG when I'm pushing 55-60 MPG, yet highway trips I'm usually in the 25 ICE MPG range, with mileage in the low 40's. This requires low speed, high load ICE operation, which is hard to do at speed.

Next is what you do with it. I include some numbers so you get a sense of scale. Yes, 10m in elevation is the same as going 30 MPH, so you can store 30MPH of kinetic energy by going up a 10m hill. You can't eliminate the parasitic losses, but you can minimize them (air pressure, Paul's grill block).

Then you play, taking energy out of the fuel tank, and putting it into elevation, battery charge, and the vehicle's speed. Store speed energy with regen, and use of hills. Release that energy, in concert with ICE/fuel, the road, and your driving preferences.

HAve fun,

Frank

Frank in case you didn't notice I PM'd you. :)

Paul

"Cmax doesn't seem to use battery power that much"

Well, how about 50-60 percent of the time, if you are cruisin !!!

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/4044-post-your-life-time-mpgs-total-mi-ev-mi-regen-mi-and-brake-score/

Just emphasizing the point for the reading public here (C-Max owner wannabes), that the hybrid battery (HVB) in the C-Max is very robust and if utilized well can account for the larger share of the driving.  (All gasoline / internal combustion engine derived/stored energy to-be-sure)

Keep on cruisin - C-Max EV cruisin that is !!!

Nick

(Just quit 'wasting' the stored energy.  Manage the throttle, ECO Cruise, and always drive down hill and with the wind .............. ahhahhahhaha......)

((PE / KE / PE / KE / PE / KE ................here in Seattle with our glorious drumlins.))

The Force is with you - EV ! 

EVe

Edited by C-MaxSea

.............. and at the end-of-the-day, that is all it is - not wasting energy with the throttle!  How?  By simply driving judiciously.  95 percent of the 'trick', is just driving carefully & judiciously - which does not require gauges, chevrons .........................  works for us fair weather types, 

Having too much fun,

Nick

((Keep your foot off the d___ pedal (talking to myself) when it is not necessary - throttle or brake))

Edited by C-MaxSea

You will eventually get it. It takes a while.

For example, you mentioned going uphill with HVB (battery). Often, it can be more efficient to use ICE (gas engine) on the way up the hill, and then save the battery power for the flats or the downhill stretch.

On the flats, at somewhere around 67 to 69 MPH, you can roll along with partial assistance from the HVB while constantly running ICE. Combined, you will get somewhere between 40 to 43 MPG, maybe even as much as 45 to 46 (with the right temperature and conditions). After the battery gets nearly fully charged, you will be in this mode when you see the charge arrow (on the battery icon) switch between up, down and off.

Short of making mods to the C-MAX, such as adding grill covers and the like, I have noticed that replacing the oil with 0W20 has made about two to three MPG or more of a difference. I am definitely switching back to that at my next oil change. My usual mileage is way down, especially on the highway, since switching back to the regular oil.

How you start off from a stopped position has a great impact. You want to start off using HVB up to about 15 to 18 MPG.

There are times where it is better to run ICE at a slow speed and charge the battery, and then there are times where it is better to quickly blast up to speed (two bars or more), and then to glide with HVB. There are times where it is better to run ICE at a higher speed for a shorter time than to run it at a moderate speed for a longer time.

How you guide the C-MAX with the gas pedal will make a great difference in the final number. Trip length will also make a big difference. Temperature in the environment will also make a significant difference. Using the air conditioner or heater will have a significant impact. In winter, it is better to use heated seats than the cabin heater, for example.

You will get it after some time.

My preferred technique is to engage Auto mode on steeper uphills, causing the engine and HVB to work together. If you go uphill on ICE, the MPG will drop to 20 or below. With the HVB assisting, the mileage is 60 or more. But I note that the guage also stops at 60 in Auto mode, so maybe the MPG is less than shown. But it often is above 60 as well.

If I see the ICE drop out while doing this, I'll go back to EV Later to cause it to fire up, then switch to Auto.