down hill coasting

Marc Smith

Paul - I find it kind of amusing that I turned you into a "coaster".  My initial post was simply to respond to a previous post and say that coasting in N seems like it would be the most direct and therefore most efficient way to harvest the stored energy at the top of a hill.  Yes, I do it sometimes, maybe 1-2 times a day, but I wasn't advocating that anyone else do it.  Nevertheless, I am happy learn that you are enjoying the technique and have noticed an MPG advantage in doing so, even if it might be illegal or unsafe as some others have pointed out.

Initially I was apprehensive about shifting from Drive to Neutral and back to Drive. Now it has become a habit after 10k mi. and the only problem with this is you can't accelerate when you need to. I don't recommend doing this for most members because it takes more attention to what's going on around you.  

I think it might be good to explain my strategy for Coasting:

1. I  need at least a tenth of a mile distance to coast or I don't bother. 

2. I coast going downhill or on the level if I need to loose some speed or have a tail wind. Drafting helps with this strategy.

3. I don't coast in heavy slow moving traffic, you don't need to be distracted when you don't know what people are going to do in front of you. ;)

4. I usually go into EV after coasting if I have any HVB left, you do discharge the HVB while coasting.

5. The less charging of the HVB and the less ICE time% =better MPG's. :)

6. Coasting is worth 2-5mpg depending on what % of the time you are doing it. :thumbsup:

Paul 

Edited by ptjones

• 3 years later...

Dear friends,

I am new to this forum and I have a question related to this topic.  I loved my 2013 C max SE and put 97000 miles on; it ran ~43 MPG (in Rochester, NY, where is gets cold in winter).  Because of lower door edge rust on the 2013, I have just traded it in (via Carvana) on a 2016 SEL with 22000 miles.  This is a very nice car, too...however, compared to my 2013, this car seems to have some 'drag' on it .  By that I mean that when I disengage the cruise control, or when I take my foot off the gas, I sense that the car does not roll or coast as freely as my 2013 did...and the MPG is running about 36-7 with the same fastidious C max owner's driving habits.  It is like the car is in low gear or that the hand brake is on (not as bad as either of those, but the restricted coasting sensation that I get is along those lines but milder).   No funny noises or smells.  Any ideas, folks?  Carvana includes a 100 day/4100 mile limited warranty, so I could probably have a dealer check this.  Also, I would appreciate any suggestions getting the built-in garage door opener to work.  When I go through the owner's manual (training your opener) instructions, the red light lights but never did I get my opener to work from the built-in (though I successfully stopped my wife's controller from working and had to reprogram her handheld...any suggestions?  Thanks very much in advance.  Jerry Svoboda, Rochester, NY

This sounds like an introduction, so welcome from Bushnell's Basin!

First thing, what tires are on the 2016, and what's their pressure? What did you have on the 2013?

Second, have you verified that it's up to date for all recalls and service programs? There's a government web site that uses your VIN to check. 

Third, who's your servicing dealer?

Have fun,

Frank

7 hours ago, Jerry Svoboda said:

Dear friends,

I am new to this forum and I have a question related to this topic.  I loved my 2013 C max SE and put 97000 miles on; it ran ~43 MPG (in Rochester, NY, where is gets cold in winter).  Because of lower door edge rust on the 2013, I have just traded it in (via Carvana) on a 2016 SEL with 22000 miles.  This is a very nice car, too...however, compared to my 2013, this car seems to have some 'drag' on it .  By that I mean that when I disengage the cruise control, or when I take my foot off the gas, I sense that the car does not roll or coast as freely as my 2013 did...and the MPG is running about 36-7 with the same fastidious C max owner's driving habits.  It is like the car is in low gear or that the hand brake is on (not as bad as either of those, but the restricted coasting sensation that I get is along those lines but milder).   No funny noises or smells.  Any ideas, folks?  Carvana includes a 100 day/4100 mile limited warranty, so I could probably have a dealer check this.  Also, I would appreciate any suggestions getting the built-in garage door opener to work.  When I go through the owner's manual (training your opener) instructions, the red light lights but never did I get my opener to work from the built-in (though I successfully stopped my wife's controller from working and had to reprogram her handheld...any suggestions?  Thanks very much in advance.  Jerry Svoboda, Rochester, NY

Welcome to the forum. The drag you are noting is from the the ECOSELECT setting option Ford added on 2016+ CMax's (that you can turn off). See below copy of post from Plus 3 Golfer:

•  
  •  

It's called ECOSELECT in the 2016 owner's manual..  Based on what I read, I'd turn it off. It does increase regeneration which IMO will likely benefit those that have poor brake scores using the friction brakes more often.  I guess the intent is to improve FE for more aggressive drivers.

ECOSELECT
EcoSelect is a drive mode for non-plugin
vehicles designed to offer the best possible
fuel economy with only a slight impact to
vehicle performance and comfort.
E198654
To switch EcoSelect on, press
the ECO button.
A graphic displays on your information
display when EcoSelect is on.
Your vehicle will remember the last
selected mode whenever you start your