Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

can the onboard charger be upgraded?[2016 cmax]

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   techman05

techman05

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 15 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationN.Y.
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016
  • My C-MAX's Color:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 ford cmax se

Posted 24 December 2015 - 03:20 PM

I was trying to look into the future [after a few dozen payments] to upgrade the 3.3 KW on board charger to 6.6 or better. I noticed that the ford focus ev has a 6.6KW charger and was hoping someone had extra money and tried to see how similar they were for the cmax.

At one point it was noted that the cmax form is based off the Focus so I was hoping they might be swappable and use the charger from it. I also have to hope the wiring is strong enough to take the added charge.

Thanks for any info

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,296 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ice Storm
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:39 PM

While I understand the desire to 'soup up" your car, this isn't where you want to do that. Consider a few facts.

- Your Energi has 1/3 the HVB capacity of the Focus EV (which truly needs 6.6 KWh)

- Batteries charge by application of a voltage greater than the cell's current output voltage, so current flows into the battery.

- Li-ion battery life is quickly shortened by overcharging and high temperatures.

If you upgraded to the 6.6 KWh charger, one of two things happens

If you're in luck, the 6.6 KWh charger never delivers more than the 3.3KWh the Energi's battery can absorb. The batteries never get hot, and never see over-voltage, and last years.

If not, your HVB dies really early.

Frank

#3 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 842 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ice Storm
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:18 PM

I was trying to look into the future [after a few dozen payments] to upgrade the 3.3 KW on board charger to 6.6 or better. I noticed that the ford focus ev has a 6.6KW charger and was hoping someone had extra money and tried to see how similar they were for the cmax.

At one point it was noted that the cmax form is based off the Focus so I was hoping they might be swappable and use the charger from it. I also have to hope the wiring is strong enough to take the added charge.

Thanks for any info

Just curious why this is on a C-Max hybrid forum. Did you mean to post in the Energi Forum?

• Adrian_L likes this

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·