DRL / Daytime Running Lights (lamps)

So in the CMax are the DRL's run off the headlights from factory/mod'ed BCM?

DRL is enabled by setting a programmable parameter in the BCM. 

The parameter apparently is not changeable through the IDS software.

But, obviously there is a back door to getting access to the parameter since Phil1336 found a dealer that could do it.

This is the description from the shop manual:

Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)

NOTE: The DRL is a programmable parameter for this vehicle.

The DRL system utilizes the existing circuitry and components from the headlamp system and operates the low beam headlamps at a reduced intensity.

The BCM monitors the ignition status, the headlamp switch and autolamp status.

Based on the inputs, the BCM activates the DRL.

The DRL are activated when the ignition is in RUN and the low beams have not been turned on by the autolamp system or the headlamp switch.

The day I received Phil's reply I had dropped off my Max for the scheduled 13B07/13B10 flashes. I simply stated to my SA, "hey in IDS you can enable the DRLs. I would like that done if you can." When I picked my Max the next afternoon the DRLs are on and they didn't charge me a penny!!  

Any luck yet Phil?  I came across these today and think they just might work. If someone is willing to fork over the money to see if they fit in the US CMAX fog light pod?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BZDQIKW/ref=asc_df_B00BZDQIKW2673005?smid=A33TCMZEAWOM9U&tag=dealtmp980724-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B00BZDQIKW

I've seen these combination DRL/Foglight housings on various sites. My yet unproven theory is that the foglight grill on the European spec focus would simply need to be rotated 180º and voila, it would fit a C-Max. However, I've not had one in hand to test the theory and no one has answered my question posted on European C-Max forums. I also didn't want to order from Europe and have it not work but if the Amazon seller is in the US, a return shouldn't be a problem. It's interesting that the third product photo on the site is upside down.

• 1 year later...

Just a reminder that although your allowed to install "non-OEM" Parts and accessories thanks to the Magnuson_Moss Warranty Act, if you spice these LED`s into the electrical system and Ford deems that it caused the failure of some other component, they will fight like hell to Void your New Car Warranty.  Proceed my friend with caution!

They can only void the part of the warranty affected. For example, they cant void the warrenty on the tranny becaue of LED lights installed—they have nothing to do with each other. Anyway, I am not sure how installing aux lights would damage anything, they are just low-power LED lights, nothing special.

Edited by SPL Tech

Has anyone considered using their parking lights as a substitute for DRLs?  Less energy drain, but are they bright enough to be seen by oncoming drivers in the daylight?

That is technically illegal in many states. Parking lights are exactly that, for parking. In many state's you cannot legally drive with your parking lights only on. Either full on or full off. That said, I have never seen anyone get pulled over for it. Parking lights are quite possibly the single most useless feature installed in every vehicle. In 15 years of driving I have never once found a real need for them. Parking lights used to start out as a separate circuit with an independent battery, in which you would activate them when the car was parked out in the dark. But now they are tied in with the rest of the electrical system and no one uses them, dark or not, they just park their car and leave it. Thus the parking light system has become a bit of a vestigiality organ where every car has it, but no one actually uses or needs it.

Edited by SPL Tech

That is technically illegal in many states. Parking lights are exactly that, for parking. In many state's you cannot legally drive with your parking lights only on. Either full on or full off. 

Interesting, up here where DRL's are mandatory, I have seen some models of cars that used front parking brakes as the DRL's.  I noticed them mostly on during the early years of DRL's, not sure if anyone still does this.

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up our new 2015 C-Max Energi earlier this week.  I found a menu for turning on the Daytime Running Lights.

It was easy, no additional charge or dealer involved.   :)

Ray

It was added as a user option in the 2015. Not available to change on the 2014. The dealer could change it on the 2013.

All model years had fleet sales set the DRL to ON.

That is technically illegal in many states. Parking lights are exactly that, for parking. In many state's you cannot legally drive with your parking lights only on. Either full on or full off. That said, I have never seen anyone get pulled over for it. Parking lights are quite possibly the single most useless feature installed in every vehicle. In 15 years of driving I have never once found a real need for them. Parking lights used to start out as a separate circuit with an independent battery, in which you would activate them when the car was parked out in the dark. But now they are tied in with the rest of the electrical system and no one uses them, dark or not, they just park their car and leave it. Thus the parking light system has become a bit of a vestigiality organ where every car has it, but no one actually uses or needs it.

Interesting notes on history and illegality.  However, I quite disagree about being useless.  One of my pet peeves while driving relates to all the abusive headlights - on when not needed, misadjusted, high beams in you eyes (towards you and from behind!) - one spends entirely too much time moving mirrors, closing one eye, moving your head, all to get some idiot headlights out of your eyes so you can see the road.  Driving with "parking lights" only (when headlights add nothing to the driver's ability to see) is a great way to improve everyone else's ability to see you without causing them any problems.  We just rename "parking" lights to LLRLs (Low Light Running Lights) and outlaw DRLs!  What good are DRLs from behind anyway?

I picked up our new 2015 C-Max Energi earlier this week.  I found a menu for turning on the Daytime Running Lights.

It was easy, no additional charge or dealer involved.   :)

Ray

It would be nice if Ford could release an ECU update to add this to all hybrids. While they are at it, it would be nice to get rid of the efficiency leaves on the right and add in options from myview like the tach, temp gauge, ect.

Also, I would love if they could flash an update to disable the 'two click" thing on the FOB where one click unlocks just the driver's door and two clicks unlocks all four doors. That's supposed to be a security feature so someone cant jump in your car just as you get in and mug you, but I am going to guess it has never saved anyone from that. One click to unlock all doors would be nicer. VW offers that as an in-menu changeable option.

Last, it would be nice if Ford could use a real temp gauge instead of an idiot gauge. Ford has been using idiot gauges for both trans and engine temp since before I can remember. I don't understand why they cannot use a real gauge that is accurate like everyone else does. What's the point in having a gauge that shows the same position for a 50-degree range of temps?

Edited by SPL Tech

It would be nice if Ford could release an ECU update to add this to all hybrids. While they are at it, it would be nice to get rid of the efficiency leaves on the right and add in options from myview like the tach, temp gauge, ect.

Also, I would love if they could flash an update to disable the 'two click" thing on the FOB where one click unlocks just the driver's door and two clicks unlocks all four doors. That's supposed to be a security feature so someone cant jump in your car just as you get in and mug you, but I am going to guess it has never saved anyone from that. One click to unlock all doors would be nicer. VW offers that as an in-menu changeable option.

Last, it would be nice if Ford could use a real temp gauge instead of an idiot gauge. Ford has been using idiot gauges for both trans and engine temp since before I can remember. I don't understand why they cannot use a real gauge that is accurate like everyone else does. What's the point in having a gauge that shows the same position for a 50-degree range of temps?

A couple of notes.

1. I don't think they can put DRL in previous models. I believe the are using a separate bulb for the DRL now. In the past they used the main lights, just at a lower voltagel.

2. The C-Max comes with a temperature guage (at least the C-Max Energi does). It is one of the customizable views of the "MyView" left hand display. Or maybe you are speaking of this guage? It is note worthy that Ford does not measure water temp; they measure Cylinder Head temp and calculate water temperature from that.

Edited by stevedebi

I think he means the the temperature gauge has (7? 8?) increments, rather than being infinitly variable.

I do agree that the "leaves" screen (mine's on the compass now) would be much better if it was 3 customizable gauges such as oil temp, water temp and tranny oil temp.