DRL / Daytime Running Lights (lamps)

Can any Canadian member tell us if your C-Max has DRLs, aka Daytime Running Lights?

Here's a reasonable article about DRLs:

http://en.wikipedia....me_running_lamp

I wish it were possible to keep the lights on all the time automatically but if I leave the switch in non-automatic position, the parking lights never go out when the car is parked and locked. For the moment, I just switch it to non-automatic, then back to automatic when parked. Seems silly to do but in this season when the sun is low in the sky and it is beneficial to be seen by other motorist/pededestrians, the auto setting doesn't activate the headlights until it is rather dark outside.

It seems someone with a 2011 Focus was able to activate the DRLs by "IDS Programmer and the vehicles Smart Junction Box", coincidentally on a forum with a similar look to ours:

http://www.blueovalf...hts-activation/

Here's a recent article about the design of automotive lighting:

http://www.nytimes.c...to-be-seen.html

As I've noted in other posts, Ford has the technology available but how they decide on which model(s) to use that tech is a mystery. For example, the new Escape has LED DRLs in the lower section of the headlight and several other models use LED bulbs/housings in various places. The C-Max, which could benefit from less electrical use, only uses LEDs in the interior lighting.

I wish it were possible to keep the lights on all the time automatically but if I leave the switch in non-automatic position, the parking lights never go out when the car is parked and locked. For the moment, I just switch it to non-automatic, then back to automatic when parked. Seems silly to do but in this season when the sun is low in the sky and it is beneficial to be seen by other motorist/pededestrians, the auto setting doesn't activate the headlights until it is rather dark outside.

Can this be adjusted in the lighting settings in the vehicle configuration menus?

As I've noted in other posts, Ford has the technology available but how they decide on which model(s) to use that tech is a mystery. For example, the new Escape has LED DRLs in the lower section of the headlight and several other models use LED bulbs/housings in various places. The C-Max, which could benefit from less electrical use, only uses LEDs in the interior lighting.

Cost.

My guess is that adding LED external lighting would add another $1000 to the vehicle, and they are leaving it out due to cost since the other systems in the vehicle are already expensive. I will bet that after a couple model years when Ford has recouped some of the development costs, and we have seen some sales numbers from the C-Max that they will upgrade (or offer a package upgrade) the lights to LED versions.

The same thing happened with our Dodge Caravan. In 2008 they released them with regular lights for the initial runs. After a few model years they switched to LED versions. I have seen this in other cars as well, from VW and GM alike.

LED light housings are costly, especially LED headlights.

I would have liked to have them as an option though - I would have bought them...

Hybrid dude I will let you know when I get my C-Max. All of our newer cars have daytime running lights as it is the law so I will be shocked if my car doesn't have them. I remember being surprised when we drove down to Palm Springs last year seeing cars without their lights on in the daytime. You see the odd beater here without daytime running lights on, but it is rare.

Daytime Running Lights

The manual lists this feature as shown below. What is not clear is whether all models are equipped with the feature--I can't find it in the listing for either the SE or SEL.

DAYTIME RUNNING LAMPS (IF EQUIPPED)

WARNING:

Always remember to switch your headlamps on in

low light situations or during inclement weather. The system does

not activate the tail lamps and may not provide adequate lighting

during these conditions. Failure to activate your headlamps under these

conditions may result in a collision.

The system switches the headlamps on in daylight conditions.

To switch the system on, switch the ignition on, and switch the lighting

control to the off, autolamp, or parking lamp positions.

Hybrid dude I picked up our C-Max today and it does have daytime running lights.  I put regular headlights on awhile ago for a little trip to the grocery store as it is stormy--and forgot to shut them off and got some bell ringing to remind me to switch them back to running lights when I shut down the car.  It is a great feature and I'm surprised it isn't universally available. 

Congrats and thanks for the info. If you have a chance, I and I'm sure others would like to have more details as to exactly what lights are illuminated in DRL setting. Is it just the low beam headlights and if so, are they at full brightness or a reduced level? I assume you have the same four-position light switch as everyone else, so the DRLs must be controlled by the automatic light sensor, which decides based on how dark it is outside whether to have just the DRLs or add the parking ones as well. I'm a lighting nut, thus the detailed questions.

Also, I had a eureka moment last night in my quest to have DRLs. I'm going to find the location of the light sensor, which I think is on the dashboard and cover it with a piece of black tape ... and hopefully my wish to have the parking lights and low beams on all the time will come true. This idea is prevalent on a lot of other automotive forums across many brands.

We don't have a separate position for DRL as they come on automatically.  Only a dim low beam front light comes on and no parking/tail lights come on.  If you select parking lights on the switch, you have the DRL and parking lights on.  Driving with DRL only has its hazards and people forget that they don't have tail lights.  When we go into the city, we go through an underground tunnel and there is a sign telling people to manually switch on regular headlights.  With the DRL  the drivers can see in the tunnel, but the cars behind can run up on other car's rear ends pretty quickly without any tail lights on.  So DRL would be safer with tail lights too.  Why don't you just drive with your headlights on all the time?  I tend to do that even with the DRL's on as we live in a very grey rainy climate and it is easy to get rear ended when it is pouring and visibility is so poor for 7 months of the year.

Thanks so much for the info.

I agree with the hazards which come with low beam only DRLs but didn't go into a long rant in my original post but I'd classify them in the 'What were they thinking and why do they still think this way" category.

I've had lots of Volvos which do automatically have parking and low beam lights on all the time (though one can cancel that feature), thus I was looking for and have found a way to do it in the C-Max. I appreciate your suggestion but just don't want to have to remember to turn them on and off all the time.

I think 'home lighting' leaves the lights on for a few min when you get out of the car, so you can see you way to the door.

My VW Jetta has 3 different DRL modes embedded in the control computer, people with the right software and a cable can get in and tweak it. I put mine into 'Scandinavian' DRL mode, which turns on both the headlights and parking lights whenever the car is on. Fortunately, the headlights turn off when you move the switch to the parking light position. I'm an amateur astronomer, and need to be able to drive on our dark property without headlights. So while I really want DRLs for general safety, I also need a drivable mode with either no lights or just parking lights.

I'm looking at buying the european headlight module for HIDs, from the picture they also have a DRL lamp next to the high beam. It'll be interesting figuring out how to make that switch on at the right time.

You mean the feature called 'home lighting'? The SE has that as well, same configurations. My use of the term 'automatic lighting' in this post was only in reference to lights illuminated while driving.

No, we have a setting that senses when it is dark out the car puts on the headlights on.  My husband doesn't generally recommend I use it as I start up in the garage where it is dark, and then when I pull out into the brighter light they go off--he figures it is hard on the headlights ie going on and off too much.  It is on page 91 called Autolamps. It is the fourth symbol to the right on our gauge.  So if it is bright and sunny we just go with the automatic DRL and if it is grey and rainy we use the regular headlight setting.

The SEL has the autolamps which is handy and they will go off automatically and we can adjust the time delay. 

I think we both know the distinction between Autolamps and Automatic lighting. My question to you only arose to clarify that there is not a manual setting for the Automatic lights feature ( light switch rotated all the way clockwise), which I thought you impied from the sentence I quoted above. I realize there 'is' one for the autolamps or home -lighting as I refer to it. Understand?

Edited by Hybrid dude

No, I don't understand, but I think you are getting annoyed with me.  I am thinking that my Canadian manual and light set up is different than yours as we do have a manual setting for Autolamps and my car has built in DLR that I don't have a switch for.  Sorry if I am being obtuse.

No, not annoyed at all, just curious. I am fascinated by lighting standards in other countries and love to learn about them and sometimes convert my US model to have such standard, like fitting European headlights to 1970-1980s Mercedes-Benz models.

I'll check my owner's manual and other online resources and post if I find additional info.

I think you answered my question but here's how I interpret the features (please edit if necessary):

1. DRLs:

Canadian models do have this feature

Not manually controllable

Low beams only at reduced power

Works when light switch is in parking light or automatic light switch positions. (Thus doesn't work in off [first] or manual [third] positions)

2. Autolamps or Home-Lighting (How long after one shuts off the vehicle that the low beams remain illuminated)

This is manually controllable via the left display screen and can be set for various time delays, 30 seconds, 1 min. etc.

Edited by Hybrid dude

1.  DRLs manual says "The system switches the headlamps on in daylight conditons.  To switch the system on, switch the ignition on, and switch the lighting control to the off, autolamp, or parking lamp position". 

2.  Autolamps are manually set on my light control knob --clockwise it is the last position and it looks like a snowflake.  Manual says "headlamps will switch on and off automatically in low light situations or during inclement weather.  The headlamps will remain on for a period of time after you switch the ignition off.  You can adjust the time delay using the information display controls. If you switch autolamps on in conjuntion with autowipers, low beam headlamps will illuminate automatically when the rain sensor activates the windshield wipers continuously".

A long time ago, I visited a cousin in Canada.  We sat outside an ice cream place in Gananoque, CA.  I noticed this long procession of cars with their lights on.  I remarked to my cousin that who ever died, they had a lot of friends because it was the longest funeral procession I had ever seen.  He laughed as he informed me of Canadian's regulation for cars to have automatic daytime running lights.

As an experiment, I put three layers of blue painter's tape over the autolamps sensor, which is the squarish thing in the center of the dashboard very close to the base of the windshield and voila, lights on all the time. I'll most likely make some sort of better looking cover from a piece of whatever which I have around and if it's not matte black, paint it.

Arthur, don't get me started on fog lights (just kidding).

Your idea is interesting but not sure if you can get the electronics to function that way. The main reason I wouldn't do it, other than the wiring reason, is that the low beams are located higher on the vehicle itself, and are easier to see by oncoming vehicles, as well as and especially vehicles in front of you driving the same direction (can't think of a single word for them). Your vehicle will be more visible to the latter folks because when you are in traffic, for example, the closer you are to the vehicle in front of you, the less visible the fog lights will be in that person's rearview mirror, solely based on the height of the fog light.

On the other hand, Mercedes-Benz and some other brands now do have the DRLs, which are strips of LEDs, just about at the fog light level, so go figure. Even the C-Max in Europe has the strip just below the fog light. I think it's more for design than visibility but I have never done a conspicuity test.

BTW, joe, I love the funeral anecdote.

As an experiment, I put three layers of blue painter's tape over the autolamps sensor, which is the squarish thing in the center of the dashboard very close to the base of the windshield and voila, lights on all the time. I'll most likely make some sort of better looking cover from a piece of whatever which I have around and if it's not matte black, paint it.

Won't that mess up the visibility of all the digital stuff inside the car?  Most vehicles I know adjust brightness / color schemes based on whether it is night or day.  When the headlights come on they usually change the brightness of the screens and often change the color scheme of the menus and navigation maps to make them more night-time friendly.

If you cover the sensor, they will think it is night time all the time and maybe be to dark and hard to read in sunlight.  Also - all of your internal "mood" lighting will stay on all the time.

Even the C-Max in Europe has the strip just below the fog light. I think it's more for design than visibility but I have never done a conspicuity test.

Up here in the pacific northwest, DRLs are really really helpful because we have MASSIVE trees all over the place.  Especially on bright sunny days, cars "dissapear" in the shadows and DRLs really help that.  I also ride motorcycles so I appreciate being able to see other cars...

The smaller LED versions on some of the fancier cars now still work well in this scenario.  It is just about not letting the car disappear in shadows I think.  If they are out in the sunlight, the lights don't make all that much differences.

Just my experience.  YMMV