Ford SYNC 3 is getting Android Auto and CarPlay in 2017

The one thing I don't get is the fact that you have to plug in your phone to use this system.   Just seems like a pain to use.  I really like being able to keep my phone in my pocket and use it that way.  I think at some point these will work that way too. 

At least that is my understanding of how it works. 

The one thing I don't get is the fact that you have to plug in your phone to use this system.   Just seems like a pain to use.  I really like being able to keep my phone in my pocket and use it that way.  I think at some point these will work that way too. 

Glad you mentioned this Scott. I was about to post something also. Since doing the 3.8 update, I've wondered why I couldn't invoke Siri Eyes unless I was plugged in. What a shame. Should work by bluetooth. Maybe Car Play would work via Bluetooth though.

Marty

Rather strange, since under the Sync 2 I can connect via Aux and hear the voice Google Navigation.

• 2 months later...

Glad you mentioned this Scott. I was about to post something also. Since doing the 3.8 update, I've wondered why I couldn't invoke Siri Eyes unless I was plugged in. What a shame. Should work by bluetooth. Maybe Car Play would work via Bluetooth though.

Marty

I think you have a problem.  I have a 2016 C-Max with Sync 3 and Siri works just fine by Bluetooth with the phone in my pocket.

-Dick-

My understanding is that Google and Apple want the phone to be out of your hands.  So force a plug-in.  It is also possible that Ford and other car makers don't want to give up control of the infotainment system, so by forcing a plug-in the retain some kind of control.  

My understanding is that Google and Apple want the phone to be out of your hands.  So force a plug-in.  It is also possible that Ford and other car makers don't want to give up control of the infotainment system, so by forcing a plug-in the retain some kind of control.  

Apple's CarPlay does not require the phone to be plugged in, CarPlay will work over Bluetooth. Android Auto still requires it to be plugged in via USB. In both cases, my understanding is that you can't use the screen of your phone while it is connected to your infotainment system -- that is intentional to keep people from using the physical phone while driving.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Apple's CarPlay does not require the phone to be plugged in, CarPlay will work over Bluetooth. Android Auto still requires it to be plugged in via USB. In both cases, my understanding is that you can't use the screen of your phone while it is connected to your infotainment system -- that is intentional to keep people from using the physical phone while driving.

You have this backward. An iPhone must be connected to a USB port for AppleCarPlay to work. Android Auto will work via Bluetooth. I took delivery of a 2017 C-Max Titanium Hybrid on January 2, 2017. AppleCarPlay will only work if my iPhone 6 is connected to a USB port.

• 1 month later...

Just bought a second C-Max, a 2016 SE.  My first one a 2013 SEL has 100K, my Honda CRV about 150K, so it was time for a new car. I'm going to hand down the old one to my teenage girls. I was looking at other hybrids but after test driving decided I wouldn't be happy with their acceleration or price.  I found the new 2016 SE for 17K, about 8K off the retail. No bells and whistles but it will do the trick.

Unfortunately, after getting it home I learned I need to upgrade Sync 3 to version 2.2 and upgrade the USB ports in order to use Apple CarPlay.  I found the Sync 3 upgrade on some other forums ... going to give it a try.  I'll probably have the dealer install the new USB ports.  Must be an upgrade from USB 2 to 3.  

Later ...

Well, the Sync upgrade worked great.  I'm Now on Sync 3 version 2.2.  I see that Android Auto is now available but Carplay still doesn't activate.  I must need the new USB port.  I'll reach out to the dealership early next week.

I've noticed that the 2016 C-Max now has an ECO button and mode.  I'll need to read up on that.

Edited by nsteblay

Just bought a second C-Max, a 2016 SE. My first one a 2013 SEL has 100K, my Honda CRV about 150K, so it was time for a new car. I'm going to hand down the old one to my teenage girls. I was looking at other hybrids but after test driving decided I wouldn't be happy with their acceleration or price. I found the new 2016 SE for 17K, about 8K off the retail. No bells and whistles but it will do the trick.

Unfortunately, after getting it home I learned I need to upgrade Sync 3 to version 2.2 and upgrade the USB ports in order to use Apple CarPlay. I found the Sync 3 upgrade on some other forums ... going to give it a try. I'll probably have the dealer install the new USB ports. Must be an upgrade from USB 2 to 3.

Later ...

Well, the Sync upgrade worked great. I'm Now on Sync 3 version 2.2. I see that Android Auto is now available but Carplay still doesn't activate. I must need the new USB port. I'll reach out to the dealership early next week.

I've noticed that the 2016 C-Max now has an ECO button and mode. I'll need to read up on that.

I personally don't like the ECO button (ECO select) ithink there is a thread on here that goes over what it does.

I also got a 16 and want to upgrade Sync3 to v2.2, but it works and I like the Applink, good enough for me.

I have a iPhone SE paired with bluetooth to my 2013 and the latest Sync 2 upgrade, there is no USB required unless you want to charge.  I have to hold in the voice button on the steering wheel for a few (more) seconds then instead of the normal SYNC chime you get a short double chime from Siri. 

It's a long enough delay that it's annoying but at least the functionality is there.  

As a matter of fact it's the only way to check for texts on the phone since iPhone doesn't seem to integrate with Sync 2 text messaging. 

It does have an accelerometer lock out, if it thinks you are driving it won't do certain things and it can't access certain content unless you unlock your phone.

So hands free text is about all it is good for in my opinion, half the time it gets the speech wrong so I'd rather concentrate on driving but it's nice if I'm running late I can at least tell someone.  

Sometimes you can use it to get directions but other times it has really strange idea of where the GPS is, like it's finding locations that are 200 mi away.

Just bought a second C-Max, a 2016 SE.  My first one a 2013 SEL has 100K, my Honda CRV about 150K, so it was time for a new car. I'm going to hand down the old one to my teenage girls. I was looking at other hybrids but after test driving decided I wouldn't be happy with their acceleration or price.  I found the new 2016 SE for 17K, about 8K off the retail. No bells and whistles but it will do the trick.

Unfortunately, after getting it home I learned I need to upgrade Sync 3 to version 2.2 and upgrade the USB ports in order to use Apple CarPlay.  I found the Sync 3 upgrade on some other forums ... going to give it a try.  I'll probably have the dealer install the new USB ports.  Must be an upgrade from USB 2 to 3.  

Later ...

Well, the Sync upgrade worked great.  I'm Now on Sync 3 version 2.2.  I see that Android Auto is now available but Carplay still doesn't activate.  I must need the new USB port.  I'll reach out to the dealership early next week.

I've noticed that the 2016 C-Max now has an ECO button and mode.  I'll need to read up on that.

Where did you get the SYNC upgrade?  I am still waiting for over the air upgrade, and my Ford dealer claims that they don't have the upgrade.  Maybe I'll call Ford and try to find out.  

The upgrade file (ver 2.2) was listed on the Ford Fusion Hybrid site for a while, but is gone now. It is not an official version, but it certainly works. Ford must be working through some sort of bug, as they were supposed to release the upgrade by the end of 2016. Not sure what the issue is, nor are they saying!

I can think of two reasons:

1. Your phone will receive power.

2. A USB connection is faster.

I just upgraded Sync 3 to 2.2 in a new 2016 C-Max SE I bought.  I don't have navigation.  I used the links below to get to the files.  Worked great.  

Disclaimer - UPGRADE AT YOUR OWN RISK.  

Make sure you use the correct file depending on whether you have navigation or not.  Andriod Auto now works but Apple Carplay doesn't yet.  Because I have a 2016 Apple Carplay also requires a hardware upgrade ... new USB port.  I spoke to my dealership and they've ordered the part which is available.  I'll be getting it installed in a couple of weeks as I'm traveling next week.

Where did you get the SYNC upgrade?  I am still waiting for over the air upgrade, and my Ford dealer claims that they don't have the upgrade.  Maybe I'll call Ford and try to find out.  

You'll be waiting for an eternity I'm afraid.  I don't believe the 1.0 to 2.2 upgrade can happen over the air.  See my other post for the files.  It was a straight forward process.  Disclaimer - UPGRADE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I'm not impressed with the owner.ford.com site. Never seems to be up to date.  I've never had it show the correct Sync or Sync 3 updates for my 2013 or my new 2016. The forums have been life savers.

I have a iPhone SE paired with bluetooth to my 2013 and the latest Sync 2 upgrade, there is no USB required unless you want to charge.  I have to hold in the voice button on the steering wheel for a few (more) seconds then instead of the normal SYNC chime you get a short double chime from Siri. 

It's a long enough delay that it's annoying but at least the functionality is there.  

As a matter of fact it's the only way to check for texts on the phone since iPhone doesn't seem to integrate with Sync 2 text messaging. 

It does have an accelerometer lock out, if it thinks you are driving it won't do certain things and it can't access certain content unless you unlock your phone.

So hands free text is about all it is good for in my opinion, half the time it gets the speech wrong so I'd rather concentrate on driving but it's nice if I'm running late I can at least tell someone.  

Sometimes you can use it to get directions but other times it has really strange idea of where the GPS is, like it's finding locations that are 200 mi away.

Sync which is available on the 2013 through 2015 models works well with Siri.  Sync 3 is only available on the 2016 through 2017 models and has support for Android Auto and Apple Carplay.  2016 models require both a software and hardware upgrade to use Apple Carplay.  The software upgrade is to Sync 3 version 2.2.  The hardware upgrade is a new USB port.  

For those who want Sync 3 on earlier models it appears that it is possible.  I've seen multiple threads of people buying the needed hardware and installing successfully.