Ford SYNC 3 is getting Android Auto and CarPlay in 2017

Screw it, I am going to install the update.  I cannot get a straight answer from Ford tech support.  If it wrecks my SYNC system, then I will get a clean install of 1.0 at the dealer.  

2016 CMax SEL btw...

Not to cause alarm, but if the update goes wrong, then it is likely the entire APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module) will need to be replaced as it contains the memory modules for the Sync system. It would cost around $500, without labor factored in.

Anyways, I upgraded mine to 2.2 and it has been working fine so far except for issues with AppLink. Although I think AppLink's issues are mainly with the FordPass mobile app, I've been signed out a few times and occasionally get error messages 500 and 400. I would say, go ahead and upgrade.

I did it and it works fine.  I am not sure how the memory module could be affected.  It is hardware.

Well in the unfortunate event the upgrade file is corrupt or power is cut/flash drive pulled before the update completes. I actually had a corrupted first part of the upgrade and lost Sync voice control for awhile until I retried that part of the upgrade. So it is pretty resilient/redundant in the upgrade process, but just saying, the worst could happen...

Well in the unfortunate event the upgrade file is corrupt or power is cut/flash drive pulled before the update completes. I actually had a corrupted first part of the upgrade and lost Sync voice control for awhile until I retried that part of the upgrade. So it is pretty resilient/redundant in the upgrade process, but just saying, the worst could happen...

Fair enough, I did it with full knowledge that it could screw things up.  However, I believe that even the worst screw up could be fixed by reverting back to SYNC 1.0.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had my dealer install a new USB port in my CMax 2016 SE - HC3Z-19A387-B (Blue USB Port LED's - Ford Default) - List Price: $63.43 USD.

It replace the old part GC3T-14F014-BB.

The new USB port in conjunction with the Sync 3 upgrade to 2.2 I installed a couple of weeks ago has now enabled Apple Car Play on my iPhone 6.  

Yipee!   :yahoo:  Works great.

It

Doesn't???

Then I'm not gonna even waste my time with upgrading then.

No, Apple requires you to use their own Maps app. Unfortunately, I don't think Apple will allow you to use another mapping app on CarPlay anytime soon.

Android Auto, naturally, does use Google Maps and is allegedly going to add an option for Waze "soon," though "soon" has been over a year now. Of course, Google owns Waze, so I'm not sure what the hold up is. I also recall Here Maps is working on being compatible with Android Auto.

Edited by raadsel

Apple Maps is getting better though I still like Google Maps and Waze better.  Apple bought a Machine Learning company called Turi that was founded by a Carnegie Mellon professor and his wife a MIT PhD graduate.  I took some online classes from them as they now teach at Washington University and attended a conference put on by them last year. I understand that they are working on improving many of the AI algorithms used in the Apple products.  Apple maps is now pretty good at assessing traffic and picking optimal routes and even rerouting if traffic changes. Being a long time Waze users I haven't seen much difference in times using Apple maps through CarPlay. 

I know some systems allow CarPlay over Bluetooth.  Sync 3 doesn't have that capability yet ... it may be coming, not sure.  

Generally I'm happy with CarPlay and Sync 3.  Android is also great but I really like the integrated Apple experience between Mac, iPhone, iPad, iWatch and Apple TV.  Having it available in the car is a big plus for me.

Sync 3 is based on QNX.  It's probably the best highest quality real-time operating system on the market - used by many medical device companies for their products. Being fundamentally UNIX based it is also very extensible.  Ford should be able to keep it up to date with the shifting sands of the software world.  Big step up over the Microsoft based system in the earlier Sync product.

Edited by nsteblay

Apple Maps is getting better though I still like Google Maps and Waze better.  Apple bought a Machine Learning company called Turi that was founded by a Carnegie Mellon professor and his wife a MIT PhD graduate.  I took some online classes from them as they now teach at Washington University and attended a conference put on by them last year. I understand that they are working on improving many of the AI algorithms used in the Apple products.  Apple maps is now pretty good at assessing traffic and picking optimal routes and even rerouting if traffic changes. Being a long time Waze users I haven't seen much difference in times using Apple maps through CarPlay. 

I know some systems allow CarPlay over Bluetooth.  Sync 3 doesn't have that capability yet ... it may be coming, not sure.  

Generally I'm happy with CarPlay and Sync 3.  Android is also great but I really like the integrated Apple experience between Mac, iPhone, iPad, iWatch and Apple TV.  Having it available in the car is a big plus for me.

Sync 3 is based on QNX.  It's probably the best highest quality real-time operating system on the market - used by many medical device companies for their products. Being fundamentally UNIX based it is also very extensible.  Ford should be able to keep it up to date with the shifting sands of the software world.  Big step up over the Microsoft based system in the earlier Sync product.

I recently switched to an iPhone after years on Android and find that I rather like Apple Maps. I do think Google is still better at routing but Apple's interface seems to be much easier for me to "read" with a quick glance. I have used Waze but got tired of some of the weird routes it uses when traffic is congested, such as telling me I need to turn left, with no light, from a barely paved 2 lane road onto a rush hour busy, 50 mph, 7-lane major artery. Since Google is now using most of the user reports made on Waze, it seems to have many of the pros of Waze without the weird routes.

After using Apple maps now for another week I am getting more impressed.  Similar to Waze it has been taking me on alternate routes on my daily commute to avoid traffic.  It has been rerouting during the commute when it finds a faster route.  I just wish it showed actual MPH and posted speed limits on the screen.  If it did that I would consider it equivalent to all the other GPS programs and systems I've used.