Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Ford SYNC 3 is getting Android Auto and CarPlay in 2017

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   AZgman

AZgman

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 66 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-max SEL

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:04 PM

The upgrade file (ver 2.2) was listed on the Ford Fusion Hybrid site for a while, but is gone now. It is not an official version, but it certainly works. Ford must be working through some sort of bug, as they were supposed to release the upgrade by the end of 2016. Not sure what the issue is, nor are they saying!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 842 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 02 March 2017 - 10:32 PM

The one thing I don't get is the fact that you have to plug in your phone to use this system.   Just seems like a pain to use.  I really like being able to keep my phone in my pocket and use it that way.  I think at some point these will work that way too. 

At least that is my understanding of how it works. 

I can think of two reasons:

1. Your phone will receive power.

2. A USB connection is faster.

#23 OFFLINE   nsteblay

nsteblay

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 252 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max 2013

Posted 03 March 2017 - 05:12 PM

I just upgraded Sync 3 to 2.2 in a new 2016 C-Max SE I bought.  I don't have navigation.  I used the links below to get to the files.  Worked great.  

Disclaimer - UPGRADE AT YOUR OWN RISK.  

Make sure you use the correct file depending on whether you have navigation or not.  Andriod Auto now works but Apple Carplay doesn't yet.  Because I have a 2016 Apple Carplay also requires a hardware upgrade ... new USB port.  I spoke to my dealership and they've ordered the part which is available.  I'll be getting it installed in a couple of weeks as I'm traveling next week.

#24 OFFLINE   nsteblay

nsteblay

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 252 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 03 March 2017 - 05:22 PM

Where did you get the SYNC upgrade?  I am still waiting for over the air upgrade, and my Ford dealer claims that they don't have the upgrade.  Maybe I'll call Ford and try to find out.  

You'll be waiting for an eternity I'm afraid.  I don't believe the 1.0 to 2.2 upgrade can happen over the air.  See my other post for the files.  It was a straight forward process.  Disclaimer - UPGRADE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I'm not impressed with the owner.ford.com site. Never seems to be up to date.  I've never had it show the correct Sync or Sync 3 updates for my 2013 or my new 2016. The forums have been life savers.

#25 OFFLINE   nsteblay

nsteblay

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 252 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 03 March 2017 - 05:27 PM

I have a iPhone SE paired with bluetooth to my 2013 and the latest Sync 2 upgrade, there is no USB required unless you want to charge.  I have to hold in the voice button on the steering wheel for a few (more) seconds then instead of the normal SYNC chime you get a short double chime from Siri. 

It's a long enough delay that it's annoying but at least the functionality is there.  

As a matter of fact it's the only way to check for texts on the phone since iPhone doesn't seem to integrate with Sync 2 text messaging. 

It does have an accelerometer lock out, if it thinks you are driving it won't do certain things and it can't access certain content unless you unlock your phone.

So hands free text is about all it is good for in my opinion, half the time it gets the speech wrong so I'd rather concentrate on driving but it's nice if I'm running late I can at least tell someone.  

Sometimes you can use it to get directions but other times it has really strange idea of where the GPS is, like it's finding locations that are 200 mi away.

Sync which is available on the 2013 through 2015 models works well with Siri.  Sync 3 is only available on the 2016 through 2017 models and has support for Android Auto and Apple Carplay.  2016 models require both a software and hardware upgrade to use Apple Carplay.  The software upgrade is to Sync 3 version 2.2.  The hardware upgrade is a new USB port.  

For those who want Sync 3 on earlier models it appears that it is possible.  I've seen multiple threads of people buying the needed hardware and installing successfully.  

#26 OFFLINE   toecutter3

toecutter3

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 19 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • Current Vehicle:The Blue Spark

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:14 PM

Screw it, I am going to install the update.  I cannot get a straight answer from Ford tech support.  If it wrecks my SYNC system, then I will get a clean install of 1.0 at the dealer.  

2016 CMax SEL btw...

Edited by toecutter3, 06 March 2017 - 03:14 PM.

#27 OFFLINE   jtespi

jtespi

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 14 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Hybrid

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:59 AM

Screw it, I am going to install the update.  I cannot get a straight answer from Ford tech support.  If it wrecks my SYNC system, then I will get a clean install of 1.0 at the dealer.  

2016 CMax SEL btw...

Not to cause alarm, but if the update goes wrong, then it is likely the entire APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module) will need to be replaced as it contains the memory modules for the Sync system. It would cost around $500, without labor factored in.

Anyways, I upgraded mine to 2.2 and it has been working fine so far except for issues with AppLink. Although I think AppLink's issues are mainly with the FordPass mobile app, I've been signed out a few times and occasionally get error messages 500 and 400. I would say, go ahead and upgrade.

#28 OFFLINE   toecutter3

toecutter3

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 19 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:21 AM

I did it and it works fine.  I am not sure how the memory module could be affected.  It is hardware.

#29 OFFLINE   jtespi

jtespi

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 14 posts
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Hybrid

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:47 PM

I did it and it works fine.  I am not sure how the memory module could be affected.  It is hardware.

Well in the unfortunate event the upgrade file is corrupt or power is cut/flash drive pulled before the update completes. I actually had a corrupted first part of the upgrade and lost Sync voice control for awhile until I retried that part of the upgrade. So it is pretty resilient/redundant in the upgrade process, but just saying, the worst could happen...

#30 OFFLINE   toecutter3

toecutter3

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 19 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:08 PM

Well in the unfortunate event the upgrade file is corrupt or power is cut/flash drive pulled before the update completes. I actually had a corrupted first part of the upgrade and lost Sync voice control for awhile until I retried that part of the upgrade. So it is pretty resilient/redundant in the upgrade process, but just saying, the worst could happen...

Fair enough, I did it with full knowledge that it could screw things up.  However, I believe that even the worst screw up could be fixed by reverting back to SYNC 1.0.

#31 OFFLINE   nsteblay

nsteblay

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 252 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:56 PM

I just had my dealer install a new USB port in my CMax 2016 SE - HC3Z-19A387-B (Blue USB Port LED's - Ford Default) - List Price: $63.43 USD.

It replace the old part GC3T-14F014-BB.

The new USB port in conjunction with the Sync 3 upgrade to 2.2 I installed a couple of weeks ago has now enabled Apple Car Play on my iPhone 6.  

Yipee!   :yahoo:  Works great.

#32 OFFLINE   62Lincoln

62Lincoln

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 83 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:25 PM

Now if only Car Play would allow Google Maps and Waze...

#33 OFFLINE   joshg678

joshg678

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 117 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:55 AM

Now if only Car Play would allow Google Maps and Waze...

It
Doesn't???
Then I'm not gonna even waste my time with upgrading then.

#34 OFFLINE   raadsel

raadsel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 529 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:52 PM

It
Doesn't???
Then I'm not gonna even waste my time with upgrading then.

No, Apple requires you to use their own Maps app. Unfortunately, I don't think Apple will allow you to use another mapping app on CarPlay anytime soon.

Android Auto, naturally, does use Google Maps and is allegedly going to add an option for Waze "soon," though "soon" has been over a year now. Of course, Google owns Waze, so I'm not sure what the hold up is. I also recall Here Maps is working on being compatible with Android Auto.

Edited by raadsel, 21 March 2017 - 05:52 PM.

#35 OFFLINE   nsteblay

nsteblay

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 252 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:13 PM

Apple Maps is getting better though I still like Google Maps and Waze better.  Apple bought a Machine Learning company called Turi that was founded by a Carnegie Mellon professor and his wife a MIT PhD graduate.  I took some online classes from them as they now teach at Washington University and attended a conference put on by them last year. I understand that they are working on improving many of the AI algorithms used in the Apple products.  Apple maps is now pretty good at assessing traffic and picking optimal routes and even rerouting if traffic changes. Being a long time Waze users I haven't seen much difference in times using Apple maps through CarPlay. 

I know some systems allow CarPlay over Bluetooth.  Sync 3 doesn't have that capability yet ... it may be coming, not sure.  

Generally I'm happy with CarPlay and Sync 3.  Android is also great but I really like the integrated Apple experience between Mac, iPhone, iPad, iWatch and Apple TV.  Having it available in the car is a big plus for me.

Sync 3 is based on QNX.  It's probably the best highest quality real-time operating system on the market - used by many medical device companies for their products. Being fundamentally UNIX based it is also very extensible.  Ford should be able to keep it up to date with the shifting sands of the software world.  Big step up over the Microsoft based system in the earlier Sync product.

Edited by nsteblay, 22 March 2017 - 10:15 PM.

#36 OFFLINE   raadsel

raadsel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 529 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:16 AM

Apple Maps is getting better though I still like Google Maps and Waze better.  Apple bought a Machine Learning company called Turi that was founded by a Carnegie Mellon professor and his wife a MIT PhD graduate.  I took some online classes from them as they now teach at Washington University and attended a conference put on by them last year. I understand that they are working on improving many of the AI algorithms used in the Apple products.  Apple maps is now pretty good at assessing traffic and picking optimal routes and even rerouting if traffic changes. Being a long time Waze users I haven't seen much difference in times using Apple maps through CarPlay. 

I know some systems allow CarPlay over Bluetooth.  Sync 3 doesn't have that capability yet ... it may be coming, not sure.  

Generally I'm happy with CarPlay and Sync 3.  Android is also great but I really like the integrated Apple experience between Mac, iPhone, iPad, iWatch and Apple TV.  Having it available in the car is a big plus for me.

Sync 3 is based on QNX.  It's probably the best highest quality real-time operating system on the market - used by many medical device companies for their products. Being fundamentally UNIX based it is also very extensible.  Ford should be able to keep it up to date with the shifting sands of the software world.  Big step up over the Microsoft based system in the earlier Sync product.

I recently switched to an iPhone after years on Android and find that I rather like Apple Maps. I do think Google is still better at routing but Apple's interface seems to be much easier for me to "read" with a quick glance. I have used Waze but got tired of some of the weird routes it uses when traffic is congested, such as telling me I need to turn left, with no light, from a barely paved 2 lane road onto a rush hour busy, 50 mph, 7-lane major artery. Since Google is now using most of the user reports made on Waze, it seems to have many of the pros of Waze without the weird routes.

#37 OFFLINE   nsteblay

nsteblay

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 252 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:35 AM

After using Apple maps now for another week I am getting more impressed.  Similar to Waze it has been taking me on alternate routes on my daily commute to avoid traffic.  It has been rerouting during the commute when it finds a faster route.  I just wish it showed actual MPH and posted speed limits on the screen.  If it did that I would consider it equivalent to all the other GPS programs and systems I've used.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·